• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science Wins!

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Why do people say that science supports their religion? or that their religion is more correct then science?
It is clear that science wins the fight. some times the only way to win is to deny a battle. science does not fight only people do.

tomspug

Absorbant
Religion isn't in a battle with science, it's trying to recover from a failure to DIALOGUE with science for nearly a century. Scientists started the fight back in the late 19th century, saying that religion and science WERE enemies, and religion believed them.

What we're seeing now is the church desperately trying to catch up to relevance in our modern society with efforts like Intelligent Design. Well, at least some dialogue is better than none.

But the idea that science and religion are fighting is a myth. One might attack the other, (and they do!) but science has actually HELPED religion by de-fogging the myth on one hand and on the other hand AFFIRMING what religion has gotten right!

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Religion isn't in a battle with science, it's trying to recover from a failure to DIALOGUE with science for nearly a century. Scientists started the fight back in the late 19th century, saying that religion and science WERE enemies, and religion believed them.

What we're seeing now is the church desperately trying to catch up to relevance in our modern society with efforts like Intelligent Design. Well, at least some dialogue is better than none.

But the idea that science and religion are fighting is a myth. One might attack the other, (and they do!) but science has actually HELPED religion by de-fogging the myth on one hand and on the other hand AFFIRMING what religion has gotten right!

No. Science started out figuring the true way of the world and religion did not want to believe it, for it thought itself all-knowing. and now that religion is loosing its hosts it is fighting back by devolving itself as much as it can, showign how compatible it is and how much it can help its hosts in some ways. religion is but a parazite and science is an allergic reaction to ignorance(or lack of understanding).

Last edited:

tomspug

Absorbant
No. Science started out figuring the true way of the world and religion did not want to believe it, for it thought itself all-knowing. and now that religion is loosing its hosts it is fighting back by devolving itself as much as it can, showign how compatible it is and how much it can help its hosts in some ways. religion is but a parazite and science is an allergic reaction to ignorance(or lack of understanding).
OK then! :D

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Actually science started out as a religious/philosophical venture.

It only comes in conflict with dogmatic literalists who are threatened by things that upset their house of cards.

wa:do

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why would science and religion even need to fight? They are 2, unrelated, separate things. Since I believe that, I also believe that you can embrace both science and religion. And a person can be both a theist and a scientist- if the he/she chooses.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I think the problem comes when religions focus too much on their mythology. Science has disproven pretty much all mythologies.

But religion isn't just mythology; and I've seen both scientists and religious people who think it is. Science has nothing to do with philosophy, which I believe to be the heart of religion.

Naturalist_Atheist

Uh.... Pootie Tang.
Just because something is a myth does not mean it's untrue. God is correctly defined as a myth. Even though a lot of people take offense to it. Doesn't mean to say God isn't real.

Why do people say that science supports their religion? or that their religion is more correct then science?
It is clear that science wins the fight. some times the only way to win is to deny a battle. science does not fight only people do.
Science does support certain religions/religious beliefs... There is no war... There never was a war and there will never will be.

Unless South Park is true!
:eek:

I think the problem comes when religions focus too much on their mythology. Science has disproven pretty much all mythologies.
It is not that simple. Myths are not to be taken seriously,, as myths. Myths may have a story/moral behind them. Sometimes it is not made clear what is to be taken from a myth, nevertheless, in a lot of cases it seems obvious.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
It is not that simple. Myths are not to be taken seriously,, as myths. Myths may have a story/moral behind them. Sometimes it is not made clear what is to be taken from a myth, nevertheless, in a lot of cases it seems obvious.
Right... Myths were not "disproved" unless we're talking about a specific, literal interpretation. Many now realize that the value of mythology is its underlying truth beyond naive literal realism.

I have to admit, though, that I find mythology much harder from which to distill truth, because I tend to get caught up in the details (mythological overhead) and miss the message. I prefer to get my messages without all the stories, but that's just my own limited learning style.

Right... Myths were not "disproved" unless we're talking about a specific, literal interpretation. Many now realize that the value of mythology is its underlying truth beyond naive literal realism.

I have to admit, though, that I find mythology much harder from which to distill truth, because I tend to get caught up in the details (mythological overhead) and miss the message. I prefer to get my messages without all the stories, but that's just my own limited learning style.

Us humans (wait, im a penguin) tend to do over-analyse something, even when the real mesage is staring at us right in out face.