• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanist leads prayer at city council meeting

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Because you evolved to. And, if you care about yourself, you'll care about society responds to you.
If we evolved to care, then millions of people are not very evolved, because plenty of people live is if all that matters is what they want.
Our prisons would not be full of that were true.

The truth is, many people find pleasure in killing and torturing and raping. Sure, many control those urges for fear of punishment, but that's far different than claiming it's because they care about society.
Right and wrong are not subjective.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
If we evolved to care, then millions of people are not very evolved, because plenty of people live is if all that matters is what they want.
Our prisons would not be full of that were true.

The truth is, many people find pleasure in killing and torturing and raping. Sure, many control those urges for fear of punishment, but that's far different than claiming it's because they care about society.
Right and wrong are not subjective.
There is a statistical distribution of caring just as there is a statistical distribution of eye color.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ok...let's give an example.
Let's pretend I am the Minister of Interior of my onw country.
A LHP association comes to me and wants to be recognized as religion.
And I will tell them "well, do show your statute to me. Your values, your aims, your purposes".

And they start telling me: " we worship Satan, we reject Christian values of love, we want to spread the values of hatred. "
A Satanist would probably say that they spread love and it's the Christians who spread hate.

... but I'd say that the idea of religions having to apply to the government and meet certain criteria to be recognized is pretty toxic. This is one of the reasons why, IMO, it's better for the law to just ignore religions, give no special benefits to favoured religion, and just uphold everyone's individual freedom of belief, assembly, conscience, etc.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No, what is silly is pretending right and wrong mean anything if they're subjective.
Oops you avoided addressing what I said. Now you've tried moving onto something else.
Right and wrong can certainly "mean something" even if subjective. I'm sure you think the rights and wrongs as supposedly dictated by the God you worship can actually "mean anything" despite the fact that they're also subjective (based on the whims of said God), right?

It doesn't appear as though you've thought this one through very deeply either.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
A Satanist would probably say that they spread love and it's the Christians who spread hate.

... but I'd say that the idea of religions having to apply to the government and meet certain criteria to be recognized is pretty toxic. This is one of the reasons why, IMO, it's better for the law to just ignore religions, give no special benefits to favoured religion, and just uphold everyone's individual freedom of belief, assembly, conscience, etc.
Let's not forget that Adam Smith, the father of liberalism, is associated with the motto laissez-faire.
I think it is a quid pro quo.
You want legal recognition as religion? Do demonstrate your statute is not unconstitutional.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Let's not forget that Adam Smith, the father of liberalism, is associated with the motto laissez-faire.
What does that have to do with anything?

I think it is a quid pro quo.
You want legal recognition as religion? Do demonstrate your statute is not unconstitutional.
What about Satanism do you think is unconstitutional?

And why would a religion need to jump through a hoop like that? Unconstitutional things are illegal anyway; if you catch someone violating the constitution, you address it then.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm talking about the hypothetical religion you were talking about here:

Ok...let's give an example.
Let's pretend I am the Minister of Interior of my onw country.
A LHP association comes to me and wants to be recognized as religion.
And I will tell them "well, do show your statute to me. Your values, your aims, your purposes".

And they start telling me: " we worship Satan, we reject Christian values of love, we want to spread the values of hatred. "

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'm talking about the hypothetical religion you were talking about here:
On the basis of the several judgments of the Constitutional Court such a hypothetical religion would not get the juridical recognition per art. 8 It. Const. because the State cannot condone the spreading of values which are not conductive of the common good.
But professing such a religion and propagandizing the cult would be allowed, per art. 19 Const.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
On the basis of the several judgments of the Constitutional Court such a hypothetical religion would not get the juridical recognition per art. 8 It. Const. because the State cannot condone the spreading of values which are not conductive of the common good.
So a religion that, say, spoke out against same-sex marriage or reproductive rights would also be refused juridical recognition?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So a religion that, say, spoke out against same-sex marriage or reproductive rights would also be refused juridical recognition?

The Pope can say whatever he wants within the Vatican, because that's a foreign country.
And has its own theocratic laws.

But priests who speak in the territory of the It. Republic are supposed to respect the individualistic choices of the faithful.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Pope can say whatever he wants within the Vatican, because that's a foreign country.
And has its own theocratic laws.
I didn't mention the Vatican. I thought we were talking about Italy.

But priests who speak in the territory of the It. Republic are supposed to respect the individualistic choices of the faithful.
But they get "juridical recognition" despite the fact that they "spread [...] values which are not conductive of the common good," right?