• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Safety glasses on.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So this is intended for comedy but still has a valid point in my opinion:

Even if somebody is sceptical about climate change, it seems like a tremendous gamble. As ever though, while individuals can certainly contribute, a lot of the work on the environment needs to come from those at the top.
I could see where he was going long before he got there and I love it. What if we make a better world for the wrong reason?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Do you see carbon dioxide as a pollutant? Is it really wise to try to limit carbon dioxide in light of species extinction, especially in regards to plants? (If your patient is under stress, then the last thing you want to do is cut off the breathing supply. Just sayin') There are other pollutants we should be focusing on, imo.
Excessive CO2 is a pollutant. And yes, we can put a figure on that. Is clean drinking water a pollutant? No? Then you should not mind if we force pump ten gallons of water into your stomach. The point is that excessive amounts of even beneficial materials is not a good thing. Yes, plants need carbon dioxide, but even they suffer if amounts are too high, and they definitely suffer if the climate changes.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Simply yes, Carbon Dioxide is a pollutant. Yes, it is wise to reduce carbon dioxide.. Plants are definitely not under threat due to reduction of carbon dioxide emissions, though the increase levels of carbon dioxide do threaten many animal species due to global warming. You need to clarify your concern for plants.
Simply that plants are the main carbon dioxide reducer and that plants are the basis of habitats that support other species. I'm focusing on managing extinction cycles wherever possible.

Yes there are many pollutants we need to focus on, and some related to global warming, but that is a separate issue. Burning fuels that release carbon dioxide also release other dangerous pollutants, and over manufacture and use of plastics is probably second, and related to carbon dioxide emissions.
Is there any efforts being put forth in these other pollutants, or is carbon stealing the show?

From my perspective of human pollution and global warming I do not consider there to be any practical way to reverse the trend, but nonetheless our attempts to reduce carbon dioxide emissions are beneficial to the human environment and our energy consumption. The world demand for energy and over population are reasons why we likely cannot resolve the emission problem enough to reverse the trend. We will have to deal with global warming for the long term.
If we cannot reverse the emission problem, then why not focus on the real pollutants and the habitat destruction that leads to extinction events?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
One of my concerns about the unhealthy obsession with carbon dioxide: I live in the pacific northwest, where hydroelectric power is the mainstay. Hydroelectric power has been targeted as causing more carbon emissions than power plants that burn fossil fuels! Really?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Simply that plants are the main carbon dioxide reducer and that plants are the basis of habitats that support other species. I'm focusing on managing extinction cycles wherever possible.

The changes in CO2 will not effect plants in the range we are reasonably considering.

Is there any efforts being put forth in these other pollutants, or is carbon stealing the show?

Carbon is the biggy, but see below.

If we cannot reverse the emission problem, then why not focus on the real pollutants and the habitat destruction that leads to extinction events?

Reducing the emissions is the best we can do. The changes in the climate, and the related pollutants to the energy industry are things like metals in the waste products of burning coal.

Gases that trap heat in the atmosphere are called greenhouse gases. This section provides information on emissions and removals of the main greenhouse gases to and from the atmosphere. For more information on the other climate forcers, such as black carbon, please visit the Climate Change Indicators: Climate Forcing page.

• Carbon dioxide (CO2): Carbon dioxide enters the atmosphere through burning fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and oil), solid waste, trees and other biological materials, and also as a result of certain chemical reactions (e.g., manufacture of cement). Carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere (or "sequestered") when it is absorbed by plants as part of the biological carbon cycle.
  • Methane (CH4): Methane is emitted during the production and transport of coal, natural gas, and oil. Methane emissions also result from livestock and other agricultural practices and by the decay of organic waste in municipal solid waste landfills.
  • Nitrous oxide (N2O): Nitrous oxide is emitted during agricultural and industrial activities, combustion of fossil fuels and solid waste, as well as during treatment of wastewater.
  • Fluorinated gases: Hydrofluorocarbons, perfluorocarbons, sulfur hexafluoride, and nitrogen trifluoride are synthetic, powerful greenhouse gases that are emitted from a variety of industrial processes. Fluorinated gases are sometimes used as substitutes for stratospheric ozone-depleting substances (e.g., chlorofluorocarbons, hydrochlorofluorocarbons, and halons). These gases are typically emitted in smaller quantities, but because they are potent greenhouse gases, they are sometimes referred to as High Global Warming Potential gases ("High GWP gases").

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
One of my concerns about the unhealthy obsession with carbon dioxide: I live in the pacific northwest, where hydroelectric power is the mainstay. Hydroelectric power has been targeted as causing more carbon emissions than power plants that burn fossil fuels! Really?

I am not aware of this please provide references.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
He's not a very qualified messenger. Hes a comedian with an engineering degree. I am more qualified than he is. At least I work with the EPA, so yeah I know a thing or two about it.
You have a degree and experience in science and engineering that ranks you above him? Tell us more.

You seem to be claiming he is a comedian by profession as well and that being one would eliminate the validity of his opinion. Can you substantiate either of those two implications?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you see carbon dioxide as a pollutant? Is it really wise to try to limit carbon dioxide in light of species extinction, especially in regards to plants? (If your patient is under stress, then the last thing you want to do is cut off the breathing supply. Just sayin') There are other pollutants we should be focusing on, imo.
Anything could be a pollutant or toxin. It depends on the concentration and exposure. Too much oxygen can cause conditions similar to intoxication and even death.

There are a number of issues associated with the increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that could substantially accelerate not only the extinction of species, but of existing biomes.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

This new to me since my primary expertise related to this is atmospheric issues related to powerplant, and industrial release of greenhouse gases.

I will review this, but disagree at present with the conclusions. Yes, there are CO2 and methane emissions related dammed watersheds related to lakes covering forests. First, in most dam construction most of the forests and vegetation is removed. Second, the emissions related to the vegetation in the lake is one time in the volume of vegetation covered, where power plants are continuous emissions over many years, and many many tons of coal, fuel or natural gas..

I will look into this more, but I do not believe the math is there.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
You seem to be claiming he is a comedian by profession as well and that being one would eliminate the validity of his opinion.

I did already. But here ya go again, since you can't be bothered to put in any effort at all.

Bill Nye - Wikipedia

1986–1991: Comedy beginnings and Almost Live!
Nye quit his job at Boeing on October 3, 1986 to focus on his burgeoning comedy career.