• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacred Spaces

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been binge ordering stuff, so hopefully mine will look pretty decked out soon. One of the statues is a foot tall, so it was quite expensive but hopefully it's going to be pretty impressive. I also invested in a new candle holder for 5 tealights.

Statue of what/whom, may I ask?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I have a table that for me serves that purpose. When I gaze at it, I'm reminded about what is represents and symbolizes.

firedragon

Veteran Member
For years, my mother has had what she calls a "Joy Room" in their house. It is basically a room that she uses for prayer and Bible study, or sometimes chatting privately with good friends on the phone.

I recently read an article from a Buddhist perspective advocating for a "Breathing Room" or some other space specifically dedicated for meditation and so on. There is something wise, I think, about setting aside such a space and designing it for that purpose.

I'm curious to know what "sacred spaces," if any, you've created in your home.

For non-religious folks, by "sacred" I don't necessarily mean something religious or supernatural, but rather a space that is set aside from the mundane daily tasks of life that helps you feel calm or at peace, where you stop to reflect or meditate or journal or otherwise take a moment to pause the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Tell us about your space and what you do with it. :blush:

Its within me, but outside of home.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You mean about my own? Currently I don't really have one. I meditate on my bed. I have created a mini-ritual where I prep the space for meditating by lighting a candle on my nightstand, folding my sheets over nicely and propping myself up with pillows. I have a very small Tibetan singing bowl I also strike to mark the beginning and end of sessions.

I'd like a more formal space, but haven't gotten there yet. More to come on that front, I suspect. :blush:

You don't accidently fall asleep on your bed?

Sounds like a good setup.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
When we lived in our old house, we had a little room called 'the spirit room'. What its original intent for itwas a place to store valuables without Ares(my son) breaking them. This concept meant so much to us, that we actually sacrificed having a bedroom(this room was my husband and I's bedroom; we took to sleeping on a mattress in the living room).When said items were loaded in, we quickly saw the potential for a 'temple' type set up, and proceeded to work from there. This room represented many different traditions, and served different purposes, all spiritual.

When we moved, the house had a few spare rooms. One was called a 'breakfast nook'. We have no need for a breakfast nook. This is where our new 'spirit room' is. Instead of representing all traditions, though, it represents mostly Hinduism, with a few Buddhas in there. There is a big bay window with plants(one that sometimes flowers, which we can offer during pujas). It gets a lot of use. Meditation, puja, japa. Sometimes just a moment or two of piece. Each wall is painted a different color and has pictures on it that represent that deity; Shiva's wall is white, Vishnu's yellow, Devi's red, and Surya's is the wall that has a bay window(the little wall there is is painted orange).

Off of our bedroom, there is another room which has been termed 'the green room', as its been painted green. This houses most of our Western oriented items that came out of the old 'spirit room' from the old house. It has a somewhat Masonic feel. There are lots of different things on display, and I have my Ares altar in there. Got some really neat antique furniture as well... looks like something from another time period. However, this room gets little use. Its purposes would be similar to the downstairs room, but other than occasionally meditating in there, I don't go in much other than to assure its in decent standing.

We are hoping to get an outdoor sanctuary up this year. We cleared the space for it late last fall. Not sure where to go with it, now that its finally getting warm enough to work!

Vee

Premium Member

My place is just a bit bigger than a shoebox, so no extra space for anything at all. I don't have any place that I would call sacred, but I find that when I need to meditate and feel more at peace, nature does the job. If I take a walk on the beach or somewhere with lots of trees I feel so much better.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
My place is just a bit bigger than a shoebox, so no extra space for anything at all. I don't have any place that I would call sacred, but I find that when I need to meditate and feel more at peace, nature does the job. If I take a walk on the beach or somewhere with lots of trees I feel so much better.

I love the beach! I find the ocean so calming and awe-inspiring.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
For years, my mother has had what she calls a "Joy Room" in their house. It is basically a room that she uses for prayer and Bible study, or sometimes chatting privately with good friends on the phone.

I recently read an article from a Buddhist perspective advocating for a "Breathing Room" or some other space specifically dedicated for meditation and so on. There is something wise, I think, about setting aside such a space and designing it for that purpose.

For non-religious folks, by "sacred" I don't necessarily mean something religious or supernatural, but rather a space that is set aside from the mundane daily tasks of life that helps you feel calm or at peace, where you stop to reflect or meditate or journal or otherwise take a moment to pause the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Tell us about your space and what you do with it. :blush:

In the corner of my living room, I have a wood dresser with an open hollow center and sliding that can be rolled together to close it off. I have taken these two spaces and a shelf and turned them into an altar on top with a place for supplies and books beneath. This altar houses a number of symbols from my path, some more clear than others. While I don't currently meditate at this altar, as I need to build a tiny stool/seat for it, I begin and end my evening Fire Devotional at this altar ever night.

Edit: Where I do tend to sit and meditate is on the back porch as the steps make a perfect sized seat. Now anywhere in Nature, but the further from civilization the better, is especially Sacred. But that should not come as a surprise given my Path.