• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacred Spaces

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
For years, my mother has had what she calls a "Joy Room" in their house. It is basically a room that she uses for prayer and Bible study, or sometimes chatting privately with good friends on the phone.

I recently read an article from a Buddhist perspective advocating for a "Breathing Room" or some other space specifically dedicated for meditation and so on. There is something wise, I think, about setting aside such a space and designing it for that purpose.

I'm curious to know what "sacred spaces," if any, you've created in your home.

For non-religious folks, by "sacred" I don't necessarily mean something religious or supernatural, but rather a space that is set aside from the mundane daily tasks of life that helps you feel calm or at peace, where you stop to reflect or meditate or journal or otherwise take a moment to pause the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Tell us about your space and what you do with it. :blush:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
For years, my mother has had what she calls a "Joy Room" in their house. It is basically a room that she uses for prayer and Bible study, or sometimes chatting privately with good friends on the phone.

I recently read an article from a Buddhist perspective advocating for a "Breathing Room" or some other space specifically dedicated for meditation and so on. There is something wise, I think, about setting aside such a space and designing it for that purpose.

For non-religious folks, by "sacred" I don't necessarily mean something religious or supernatural, but rather a space that is set aside from the mundane daily tasks of life that helps you feel calm or at peace, where you stop to reflect or meditate or journal or otherwise take a moment to pause the hustle and bustle of daily life.

I used to have a floor altar to pray and talk with my loved ones. After awhile I set up a three tier glass shelves in the living room corner where I spend five or so mins in the evening and offer my aunt's favorite drink and food. I tried making cornbread from scratch but never offered since it was too hard.

I only have my living room and bedroom. I did set it up in the kitchen counter one time so I can just place food there as I cooked. Didn't workout well.

For some reason I have better connection when I'm spontaneous than have a set space.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
This is the closest I can get to "sacred" space I think; my butsudan. I bow to the teaching, during formal meditation....but I'm not always in this room for formal meditation periods.

10F953C1-4866-4F20-9AD4-1CCD36846A2C.jpeg

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I used to have a floor altar to pray and talk with my loved ones. After awhile I set up a three tier glass shelves in the living room corner where I spend five or so mins in the evening and offer my aunt's favorite drink and food. I tried making cornbread from scratch but never offered since it was too hard.

I only have my living room and bedroom. I did set it up in the kitchen counter one time so I can just place food there as I cooked. Didn't workout well.

For some reason I have better connection when I'm spontaneous than have a set space.
Sacred space is at a premium!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

We have an entire room for a home mandir, or a shrine. Any religious thing we do is in there: meditation, japa, daily puja, penance, scriptural reading, hatha yoga. We also take great pains to not do anything else in there. Talking on the phone would be out of the question. If non-Hindu visitors come by, we shut the door. It's seen as a very sacred space. If I have to go in later in the day, after my morning rituals, I hesitate, or take another shower. I'll make temple garlands in there, and whenever we come home from temple, we will immediately light a small lamp in there, to let the devas who may have followed us home that this is another place they're welcome at. When we go on pilgrimage, or if there was a death in the family, we'd cover the shrine with a white sheet, and not enter at all. Non-entrance after a death would last for 31 days.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Spill the beans then!

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Spill the beans then!

You mean about my own? Currently I don't really have one. I meditate on my bed. I have created a mini-ritual where I prep the space for meditating by lighting a candle on my nightstand, folding my sheets over nicely and propping myself up with pillows. I have a very small Tibetan singing bowl I also strike to mark the beginning and end of sessions.

I'd like a more formal space, but haven't gotten there yet. More to come on that front, I suspect. :blush:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
You mean about my own? Currently I don't really have one. I meditate on my bed. I have created a mini-ritual where I prep the space for meditating by lighting a candle on my nightstand, folding my sheets over nicely and propping myself up with pillows. I have a very small Tibetan singing bowl I also strike to mark the beginning and end of sessions.

I'd like a more formal space, but haven't gotten there yet. More to come on that front, I suspect. :blush:
Practical considerations always impinge:) which is why my usual place is the bedroom. When I've got a big house...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

One idea I've seen used successfully is to put a temporary divider in a corner, parallel to one wall. You can easily make one yourself. We did that back when the house was smaller, and when we lived in an apartment. It gives you 3 walls, and some privacy.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
One idea I've seen used successfully is to put a temporary divider in a corner, parallel to one wall. You can easily make one yourself. We did that back when the house was smaller, and when we lived in an apartment. It gives you 3 walls, and some privacy.

We are in the process of clearing what is functionally our garage - which has been converted to a room and is basically where the dog sleeps and where we put boxes of storage stuff that has nowhere else to go. :sweatsmile: Once we get things cleared out, part of that space might be used as my mini-sacred space.

I have a question about your room, actually. Is it a requirement in Hinduism for the mandir to face a certain direction (east, west, etc.)?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member

I really like the idea of a room set aside for contemplation, or indeed anapanasati / samadhi / vispassana in your case! I often practise watchfulness of the in-out breath myself, because I have a high regard for Hesychasm and the Jesus Prayer.

Quite a few Catholics have private chapels - just like churches have 'Lady Chapels' designed for quiet prayer and reflection.

Personally, I've always wanted one in the garden - which might stem from my foray many years ago into Zen Buddhism (i.e. Japanese rock gardens for sitting meditation/zazen or walking meditation). I had thought in the past of buying flowers specially associated with Marian spirituality to honour her as "the Rose wherein the Divine Word was made incarnate" and dotting a few statues of Jesus, Our Lady, St. Francis of Assisi and the like in their midst.

Never gotten around to this though, I ironically have a Pharoah's head right now in my garden along with a cat and a statue of the Buddha cross-legged, just for their ornamental value! :p

In my old apartment back in London, I didn't have a special bedroom so to speak either - but I did reserve an 'alcove' in the hallway near my front-door, where I constructed my own little 'altar-space' away from the mad rush of the city: with holy water from Lourdes, a crucifix, rosary beads that once belonged to my great-grandmother, a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, votive candles and images of a few of my favourite Saints. I am also accustomed to burning incense from time-to-time like we do during actual Masses (jasmine, frankincense etc.).

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a question about your room, actually. Is it a requirement in Hinduism for the mandir to face a certain direction (east, west, etc.)?

Nothing is a requirement in Hinduism. Let's just say there are strong suggestions, with exceptions. The home mandir, according to the Saiva Agamas, is best situated on the northeast corner of the house. If someone builds their own house by scratch, they can do this consciously. In our case, we got lucky, and use what was originally a bedroom, but it is on the northeast corner. The direction of the shrine depends somewhat on the school of Hinduism, but traditionally Siva faces south, and the devotee faces North for worship. If it was Ganesha, he would face east. So our shrine is on the North wall. The doorway is on the south, so during the day we'll peek in, but not cross the barrier. Hindu temples and shrines have a definite barrier, as there is a psychic bubble around it. Think geometry and a closed curve with 3 parts: inside, outside, and the curve itself. The barrier is the curve. Hindu temples that are Agamic in design have very well defined spaces. In India, there is a stone barrier about 4 inches higher than the floor that you have to step over, right foot first.

But these rules aren't hard and fast. People do what seems logical, given what they have, and many wouldn't be aware of scriptural instructions.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I am quite happy sitting on a wooden chair on our veranda overlooking the forested mountain that forms one side of the village we live in. The sounds of nature and wind in the trees is so relaxing. In warm sunshine or heavy rain it's a place i go to relax... Although sometimes i need to fight the cat for the chair, cats know a thing or two about relaxing.

Unfortunately i use the same space to hang out washing to dry from this time of year until October so most days its i no, no. A little later in the year we also use the space most evenings for al fresco/BBQ dining.

That said, during the warmer months its also a great place to be at night. With no light pollution (street lights go off at 22:00) the line between the black mountain and the starry sky is distinct and just watching those stars, and the odd meteor, is a great way to unwind after a heavy day.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I am quite happy sitting on a wooden chair on our veranda overlooking the forested mountain that forms one side of the village we live in. The sounds of nature and wind in the trees is so relaxing. In warm sunshine or heavy rain it's a place i go to relax... Although sometimes i need to fight the cat for the chair, cats know a thing or two about relaxing.

Unfortunately i use the same space to hang out washing to dry from this time of year until October so most days its i no, no. A little later in the year we also use the space most evenings for al fresco/BBQ dining.

That said, during the warmer months its also a great place to be at night. With no light pollution (street lights go off at 22:00) the line between the black mountain and the starry sky is distinct and just watching those stars, and the odd meteor, is a great way to unwind after a heavy day.

I was hoping someone would mention an outdoor space! :) Watching the stars at night is so peaceful.

LOL @ fighting your cat for the space. I understand that struggle. ;)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Outside is so special, all the time. In tropical countries many private spaces are outside. My deck, in summer, is great.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Sounds beautiful.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was hoping someone would mention an outdoor space! :) Watching the stars at night is so peaceful.

LOL @ fighting your cat for the space. I understand that struggle. ;)

I have another outdoor space, in the forest, by a bend in the river Ceou is a fallen tree that a can sit and listen to the river.

Last Saturnalia the kids presented me with a painting that they had commissioned, the artist sat on the fallen tree.

IMG_20210321_173346.jpg

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been binge ordering stuff, so hopefully mine will look pretty decked out soon. One of the statues is a foot tall so it was quite expensive, but hopefully it's going to be pretty impressive. I also invested in a new candle holder for 5 tealights.

Last edited: