• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richard Dawkin

crystalonyx

I assume when you say religion it entails some form of supernatural belief. Many times religious people try to push their beliefs onto others. I see this in my public school systems and in my government. Two shinning examples would be "Under God" in our pledge and the anti-gay marriage movement. These are two areas that religions should keep it to themselves. If they feel God doesn't like homos that's fine. Vote the way you want and protest. But your church and your group should not receive any extra benefits. Churches should pay their fair share of taxes. Religions should be treated like businesses. (If they are shown to make any income.)

Tell me how I oppose religious freedom? It is only when I feel a particular religion infringes on human rights that I even criticize it. Unfortunately religions seem to have a knack for infringing on our rights.

Would you be so kind as to name a few "irreligious agendas."

I agree 100 percent.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Tell me how I oppose religious freedom?
I'm sorry, were you not sayin that they shouldn't be allowed to proselytize? That's religious freedom.

Would you be so kind as to name a few "irreligious agendas."
Off the top of my head, secular government, same-sex marriage, and abortion rights. As I said, that's not a bad thing (I happen to agree with all those), but to pretend that the irreligious have no agendas is foolishness.

Naturalist_Atheist

Uh.... Pootie Tang.
I'm sorry, were you not sayin that they shouldn't be allowed to proselytize? That's religious freedom.

Off the top of my head, secular government, same-sex marriage, and abortion rights. As I said, that's not a bad thing (I happen to agree with all those), but to pretend that the irreligious have no agendas is foolishness.

Nah, they can proselytize all they want. As long as they do it in a proper manner.

I don't know if any of the examples you listed denote an irreligious agenda. America started out a secular government and it was set up by religious people for the most part. Same sex marriage and abortion rights may be unchristian, but I don't see them being irreligious. I will say many irreligious people happen to support these things but so do many religious people as well. I wouldn't call any of those examples strictly an irreligious agenda. Don't know if I made any sense...