• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans Used to be So Much Nicer. What Happened?

Underhill

Oh, so many....
Wash Post
Chicago Tribune
NYT
Yahoo
And many more.
I mostly use the news aggregator, The Drudge Report.
(It has incredible breadth of politically diverse sources.....& catchy titles!)

That may be part of the problem. As I remember it The Drudge Report reports everything from mainstream news to absurdities from marginal sources.

We certainly can!
That's my favorite approach.....spending it on a strong defense which we avoid needing & using.

Actually I don't think we can. Even looking at the cold war, we needed periodic proxy wars and skirmishes to keep the ice on things. Otherwise the people might wake up to the fact that we are spending a massive chunk of money on stuff we don't really need.

I mean what is the point of a nuclear deterrent if we are still going to spend like Russia or China could invade any day? And while we need to deal with terrorist threats, I have a hard time believing having 92 separate agencies in DC alone dealing with tracking terrorist is the most efficient approach. But so long as we keep people on their toes with the latest threat, that stuff gets shoved under the carpet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That may be part of the problem. As I remember it The Drudge Report reports everything from mainstream news to absurdities from marginal sources.
Where you see a problem, I see an advantage.
There's a reason that Drudge is in the screen of more mainstream journalists than any other.
Sometimes, the marginal sources report what others won't.
I prefer that the vetting process be left up to me.
Besides, I'll bet you use many of the same sources.
Actually I don't think we can. Even looking at the cold war, we needed periodic proxy wars and skirmishes to keep the ice on things. Otherwise the people might wake up to the fact that we are spending a massive chunk of money on stuff we don't really need.
I disagree.
And it's all about spending money on only what we need.
When I become dictator of Americastan, watch for a big shift in priorities.
I mean what is the point of a nuclear deterrent if we are still going to spend like Russia or China could invade any day? And while we need to deal with terrorist threats, I have a hard time believing having 92 separate agencies in DC alone dealing with tracking terrorist is the most efficient approach. But so long as we keep people on their toes with the latest threat, that stuff gets shoved under the carpet.
The nuclear deterrent is an expensive thing.
Delivery & counter systems continuously evolve.
As for terrorism, I don't think it's as big a problem as it is in the minds of most.
Relative to war, few people here die from it.
Improvements can be made, but it's largely under control.

(I bet the last few lines get some angry responses.)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In a land far, far away and a time long time ago (when I was young), my political affiliation aligned with Republican party values. I voted for George HW Bush. The Reds are no longer the same party they used to be. In the days when I could tolerate them, they were so much nicer. What happened?

Check out this video and see the difference today in regard to attitude and empathy concerning illegal immigration.

Both Republicans and Democrats shifted towards the fiscal right since the 1980's, and Republicans began taking a harder line approach towards many social issues while the Democrats liberalized on social issues.

It was enough that my elderly father in his 70's, a lifelong Republican, voted for Obama in 2012 because he concluded that while his own fiscal positions didn't change basically at all over 50 years, both parties had shifted so far to the right that he stood still and became a liberal Democrat.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
In the days when I could tolerate them, they were so much nicer. What happened?
Coming back to this topic after recent events.

Perhaps your inability to tolerate them has had a reciprocal effect. Look at just this thread where Republicans have been called an echo chamber circle jerk(a rather humourous accusation considering the current state of the left), the loony bin, have moved past lunacy, are intolerable, have fallen off the turnip truck.

Look at the reaction to the passing of SC Justice Scalia.

If Republicans(and conservatives in general, so I can include myself) are a little more mean maybe you should take a look in the mirror Democrats and see all the nasty little vipers you have who can't separate their sense of self from their politics, can't do the same for their opponents and correspondingly lash out with all the venom they can muster.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Perhaps your inability to tolerate them has had a reciprocal effect. Look at just this thread where Republicans have been called an echo chamber circle jerk(a rather humourous accusation considering the current state of the left), the loony bin, have moved past lunacy, are intolerable, have fallen off the turnip truck.

If Republicans(and conservatives in general, so I can include myself) are a little more mean maybe you should take a look in the mirror Democrats and see all the nasty little vipers you have who can't separate their sense of self from their politics, can't do the same for their opponents and correspondingly lash out with all the venom they can muster.
I notice that on RF, conservatives are more civil than liberals towards us libertarians.

A question....
Do we notice things because what we notice actually exists,
or do we notice things because this is merely our perception?

Underhill

I notice that on RF, conservatives are more civil than liberals towards us libertarians.

A question....

No idea. But you are probably on to something. I mean Emu is complaining about democrats reaction to Scalia dying, yet I think the vast majority have been civil. I remember when Giffords was shot seeing meme's on facebook commenting on how she was a babykiller and had it coming.

The reality is there are douchebags on both sides of the aisle. The difference is that these people used to be pariahs. Now they have their own shows.

Buttercup

Veteran Member

My inability to tolerate the current group of Republicans has nothing to do with posters in this thread and everything to do with words the GOP says. Did you watch the video? If so, how can you disagree that the attitude in 1980 toward illegal immigrants and the word usage by the Republicans today is vastly different? I shouldn't even have to point that out, it's enormously obvious. It's not the Democrats wanting to build walls or ban Muslims from entering the country or send illegals back to Mexico.

The Pubs were the first to jump out and hotly exclaim that Obama cannot be allowed to appoint the next SC Justice. Is that what you're meaning to imply? I don't think so, but thought I'd throw that out there. :)

Have you seen a Democratic debate yet this election season? It's more like a tea party social compared to the Republican debates. Talk about venom.

There's animosity on both sides. You won't see me acting like a viper, however.

RRex

Premium Member
Republicans Used to be So Much Nicer. What Happened?
Sixteen years of Democratic policies sucking the country dry.

And, in the recent instance, deliberate courting of our enemies and a contemptible attitude towards our allies, which is undermining our position in the world.

Traitor would be an appropriate analogy.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Sixteen years of Democratic policies sucking the country dry.

And, in the recent instance, deliberate courting of our enemies and a contemptible attitude towards our allies, which is undermining our position in the world.

Traitor would be an appropriate analogy.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
What are you talking about?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
A question....
Both, we notice things that actually exist and then filter it through our biases. I like to think that being an outsider to the political climate allows me some better ability to notice the faults among both major parts, but freely acknowledge I am more cognizant of and impacted by liberal venom than conservative.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
My inability to tolerate the current group of Republicans has nothing to do with posters in this thread and everything to do with words the GOP says.
I'm saying your(general left) intolerance has an effect upon what the GOP says. I was also pointing out the pot/kettle log/speck aspect of the thread by noting in a thread about supposed meanness it was the democrats/liberals being mean.

You say it is mean to prevent refugees from coming in, while I say it is equally mean to allow groups that have demonstrated organized mass sexual assault in other countries into ours without reserve. Unless we have a method for at least an attempt at differentiating for the scum I can't support it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Scalia isn't even buried yet and Right Wingers are already leveling scurrilous charges of conspiracies and murder at Obama and others in the Middle and on the Left. Shameless political exploitation of their own dead.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm saying your(general left) intolerance has an effect upon what the GOP says.
What specific Leftist intolerant behavior and/or policies are you referring to that affects what the Right has to say? Liberals aren't generally known for being intolerant. Are you saying that it's the Left's fault for what Donald Trump and Ted Cruz spout off?
I was also pointing out the pot/kettle log/speck aspect of the thread by noting in a thread about supposed meanness it was the democrats/liberals being mean.
After reading you say this again, I went through the entire thread and reread each post. I honestly don't see anyone being overly mean. The tone of this thread sounds like typical political banter I read anywhere.
You say it is mean to prevent refugees from coming in, while I say it is equally mean to allow groups that have demonstrated organized mass sexual assault in other countries into ours without reserve. Unless we have a method for at least an attempt at differentiating for the scum I can't support it.
Do you know anything about the vetting process for refugees? It's a quite stringent and arduous process. Refugees are not admitted into the US "without reserve". The screening can take years.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What specific Leftist intolerant behavior and/or policies are you referring to that affects what the Right has to say? Liberals aren't generally known for being intolerant. Are you saying that it's the Left's fault for what Donald Trump and Ted Cruz spout off? After reading you say this again, I went through the entire thread and reread each post. I honestly don't see anyone being overly mean. The tone of this thread sounds like typical political banter I read anywhere.
Generally, neither the left nor right will notice their intolerance towards others.
There are several reasons.....
- It isn't intolerance when the object of scorn deserves it, eg, illegals, business, conservatives, liberals, the poor, the rich
- Everyone naturally thinks one's own values are superior.
(If your values were superior, then I'd adopt them for myself, right? But I don't, because mine are better. QED!)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131007112113.htm
- It's far more comfortable to spot sins by others than by oneself.

Underhill

Generally, neither the left nor right will notice their intolerance towards others.
There are several reasons.....
- It isn't intolerance when the object of scorn deserves it, eg, illegals, business, conservatives, liberals, the poor, the rich
- Everyone naturally thinks one's own values are superior.
(If your values were superior, then I'd adopt them for myself, right? But I don't, because mine are better. QED!)
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131007112113.htm
- It's far more comfortable to spot sins by others than by oneself.

*** line removed per moderator consensus ***

But you may have a point. The problem I have is this. This kind of reasoning puts all morality on a similar plane and clearly that isn't true. Obviously mine is superior!

Last edited by a moderator:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
*** line removed per moderator consensus ***

But you may have a point. The problem I have is this. This kind of reasoning puts all morality on a similar plane and clearly that isn't true. Obviously mine is superior!
No, mine is!
Yours is causing the downfall of western civilization.

Last edited by a moderator: