• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans undermine education for sake of religion.

Shad

Veteran Member
Ohio House passes bill allowing student answers to be scientifically wrong due to religion

I'm curious how dumbing down our children fits into "making American great again"?

The Bill does not allow this. This article is just click-bait. The Bill still requires completion of work and competence assessments of the students according to the curriculum's standard. The Bill allows someone to add religious view as part of the assignment without reward nor penalty. It does not let them pass an assignment by answering only with a religious point(s).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Aww, rats. But you had a rather poor qualifier in your response so I would say we are even.
Not really. Putting "according to science," it's probably going to be the best way to gain any ground with creationists, because it's very upfront the question isn't hostile to their religion. It's bad it's come to that, but it's better than what's going on now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I hope colleges and universities outside of Ohio react by having Ohio students take a re-education year before they can start their regular studies.
That really just penalizes those who aren't creationists, who are also those who are more likely to go to college.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
76771513_2486820401371941_5486722322939248640_n.jpg

The next one is close, do I still get a cigar?

73230971_10221287184237663_4406857365928804352_n.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If, however, the student says ...

"According to science, the earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old, but my religion teaches me that that G-d created the earth is roughly 6,000 years old."​

... I'm fine with his or her response.

Perhaps we should be asking more respectful questions, e.g.,

According to science, how old is the earth?​

rather than:

How old is the earth?​

The school should grade a child on what he or she learns, not on the extent to which he or she submits.
While I think a school should be respectful towards a student's religion, it should never accommodate a religious belief as being anything other than that , and putting any religion on par with science would be doing a great disservice to that student imv.

That said, if a student does provide the correct answer according to what science has discovered and established, then of course the appropriate grade should be awarded.

There's never anything wrong with asking a polite question verbally or in text as long as the student is aware that if a given religious belief runs contradictory to the facts that are established by science, it will simply not pass muster.

Wording the question(s), "according to science" would be appropriate, so I agree. I don't think it would be egregious in any way.

Obviously, it would be up to the student whether he or she wants to correctly answer the question to receive a pass or fail on it.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That really just penalizes those who aren't creationists, who are also those who are more likely to go to college.
It would also send a strong message of the global science/education community to the lawmakers in Ohio to rethink if they want to step out of the scientific consensus.
In praxis it would be more likely an entrance examination and teachers in Ohio would be well advised to tell their students that their religiously motivated answers would not be tolerated anywhere else.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I hear alot of people bash California. But they have no idea how it is outside of California. I'm in Bakersfield, and it's about a million times better here than where I came from in Indiana. As long as they don't compare a vagina to a piece of chewing gum they have one up over what I had in Indiana.

Gary?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
EF giggles
:p

Come on...these things can't happen in the real world...
It does really actually happen, and it's American Right-Wingers who make it happen. Trump supporters, particularly those of the Evangelical base, are among the most vocal and adamant that they get to relish in their ignorance and teach their religious mythos as science fact. Those you side with, those who support the same politicians you fawn over.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It would also send a strong message of the global science/education community to the lawmakers in Ohio to rethink if they want to step out of the scientific consensus.
In praxis it would be more likely an entrance examination and teachers in Ohio would be well advised to tell their students that their religiously motivated answers would not be tolerated anywhere else.
I doubt it. Those you are trying to coerce, they often have a persecution complex, and you'd just be giving them the badge of martyrdom they crave, and to them it would mean nothing for them to clear an extra hurdle if it means serving their lord. And then you have those who are more science minded, those who are more likely to seek and obtain a higher education, they'll be the ones punished and inconvenienced by it.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I disagree. Teach science in science class and religion in religious class. "6000 years" is simply the wrong answer to a scientific question.

Yes, and if the student simply answers "6000 years" then they would be wrong. But answering "Science says 4.6 billion years, but my religion says 6000 years," shows they learned the scientific material, they just aren't accepting it. As public school teachers, we aren't assessing their acceptance.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I doubt it. Those you are trying to coerce, they often have a persecution complex, and you'd just be giving them the badge of martyrdom they crave, and to them it would mean nothing for them to clear an extra hurdle if it means serving their lord.

They would probably go home and watch God's Not Dead and feel vindicated.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
While I think a school should be respectful towards a student's religion, it should never accommodate a religious belief as being anything other than that , and putting any religion on par with science would be doing a great disservice to that student imv..

Agreed,

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Yes, and if the student simply answers "6000 years" then they would be wrong. But answering "Science says 4.6 billion years, but my religion says 6000 years," shows they learned the scientific material, they just aren't accepting it. As public school teachers, we aren't assessing their acceptance.

My first reaction as a teacher would be to tell the student and their parents that the student is not to bring religious discussions into non-religious classes.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My first reaction as a teacher would be to tell the student and their parents that the student is not to bring religious discussions into non-religious classes.
If they aren't obstructing instruction time, you would be, legally so, in the wrong.