• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans undermine education for sake of religion.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If a student says the earth is only 6000 years old, that student deserves a big fat F.

If, however, the student says ...

"According to science, the earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old, but my religion teaches me that that G-d created the earth is roughly 6,000 years old."​

... I'm fine with his or her response.

Perhaps we should be asking more respectful questions, e.g.,

According to science, how old is the earth?​

rather than:

How old is the earth?​

The school should grade a child on what he or she learns, not on the extent to which he or she submits.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

"According to science, the earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old, but my religion teaches me that that G-d created the earth is roughly 6,000 years old."​

rather than:

How old is the earth?​

The school should grade a child on what he or she learns, not on the extent to which he or she submits.

I'm sorry. "How old is the earth?" is a science question, not a religious one.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I'm sorry. "How old is the earth?" is a science question, not a religious one.

He has a point, though. If the student answers the question in a way that shows the material is understood, it shouldn't matter if the student negates the answer with a personal response.

Actually, I recently found out one of my students is a flatearther. I am having him write an essay with proper research and will work with him on what that means and the importance of understanding the opposition to his claim. In other words, I am making it a learning opportunity in which he will have to confront both sides. (I teach a special ed class for at-risk teens.)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
He has a point, though. If the student answers the question in a way that shows the material is understood, it shouldn't matter if the student negates the answer with a personal response.

Actually, I recently found out one of my students is a flatearther. I am having him write an essay with proper research and will work with him on what that means and the importance of understanding the opposition to his claim. In other words, I am making it a learning opportunity in which he will have to confront both sides. (I teach a special ed class for at-risk teens.)

I disagree. Teach science in science class and religion in religious class. "6000 years" is simply the wrong answer to a scientific question.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Which obviously pre-dates this bill. And what does California have to do with anything?

Adorable attempt, though.

It's where I live and I keep hearing about how bad the Calif public education system is. Not so much about how great Ohio is but how bad Calif is.
No intent to discredit the OP meant.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

rather than:

How old is the earth?​

So as long as a student claimed it was his religion he is safe. I would have aced every history test without studying one lick.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So as long as a student claimed it was his religion he is safe. I would have aced every history test without studying one lick.

Obviously not. Rather. as long as the student makes clear that he knows the expected answer he is safe. You, apparently, would have failed questions geared to test your reading comprehension.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Obviously not. Rather. as long as the student makes clear that he knows the expected answer he is safe. You, apparently, would have failed questions geared to test your reading comprehension.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

If you want to throw him a bit of a curveball ( assuming he uses an Earth that centers on the North Pole) you could ask him to plot on his map the direction that people in South America, Australia, and southern Africa would point to when they saw the Southern Cross, the constellation around the southern pole. It cannot be done. Especially when one realizes that any two of those continents may be experiencing night time at the same time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Aww, rats. But you had a rather poor qualifier in your response so I would say we are even.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's where I live and I keep hearing about how bad the Calif public education system is. Not so much about how great Ohio is but how bad Calif is.
No intent to discredit the OP meant.
I hear alot of people bash California. But they have no idea how it is outside of California. I'm in Bakersfield, and it's about a million times better here than where I came from in Indiana. As long as they don't compare a vagina to a piece of chewing gum they have one up over what I had in Indiana.

Wandering Monk

rather than:

How old is the earth?​

Perhaps the Bible should be taught in Literature or Comparative Religion classes. Keep it out of the Science curriculum.