• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans undermine education for sake of religion.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
My first reaction as a teacher would be to tell the student and their parents that the student is not to bring religious discussions into non-religious classes.

I totally get where you're coming from. Science class is for science, and the job of a science teacher is to instill sound techniques, judgement, and the best knowledge we have of the world.

But simply dismissing a student's culture at best misses a good learning opportunity and at worst could alienate or damage the student. Better to accept that the student is an individual with a whole life beyond the science class, and use the moment to teach them to think a bit about things they never considered.

That student's answer may be very different in the future because of that moment.

HonestJoe

THAT IS NOT TRUE!

Sorry for that but, though this was already pointed out by @Shad, it was drowned out by all the knee jerks and so I feel it was a necessary evil.

The relevant part of the legislation says;
Assignment grades and scores shall be calculated using ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance, including any legitimate pedagogical concerns, and shall not penalize or reward a student based on the religious content of a student's work.

The claims in the article seem to read far too much in to what it actually says (or, more likely, aren't based on reading the actual legislation at all), completely ignoring (or failing to understand) all the words that directly contradict the idea that wrong answers will be allowed and the fact it prohibits penalising or rewarding religious content.

Shad

Veteran Member
THAT IS NOT TRUE!

Sorry for that but, though this was already pointed out by @Shad, it was drowned out by all the knee jerks and so I feel it was a necessary evil.

The relevant part of the legislation says;

The claims in the article seem to read far too much in to what it actually says (or, more likely, aren't based on reading the actual legislation at all), completely ignoring (or failing to understand) all the words that directly contradict the idea that wrong answers will be allowed and the fact it prohibits penalising or rewarding religious content.

People didn't read the Bill. Media relies upon laziness of the reader for it's clicks and outrage cycle. The Bill's application is not even restricted to science. It can cover English assignments (I've used the Bible myself for assignments while being an atheist), moral issues, philosophy, history, etc. At the very least religious views can be used in moral issues. Science does not create moral codes after all.

Other parts of the Bill enable students to use the school for clubs that are religious not merely secular. That to me is merely extending part of the socialization of students schools claim to endorse

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Interesting, and kind of slippery. I guess that as a teacher I'd let it go a few times, but...
If the question is answered correctly, what would be the justification for marking it wrong over some extra bits attached? They are not needed, but probably not specifically ruled out per instruction, either. It's why adding "according to science" could be highly beneficial, because that does request spe ifics and only that specific thing.
And you'd have to let it go more than a few times, because the ACLU does defend Christians, even in school in areas where they are lowed but oppressed. If they aren't interupting things or being a distraction to others they are Constitutionally protected.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
If the question is answered correctly, what would be the justification for marking it wrong over some extra bits attached? They are not needed, but probably not specifically ruled out per instruction, either. It's why adding "according to science" could be highly beneficial, because that does request spe ifics and only that specific thing.
And you'd have to let it go more than a few times, because the ACLU does defend Christians, even in school in areas where they are lowed but oppressed. If they aren't interupting things or being a distraction to others they are Constitutionally protected.

As I think about it, I guess you're correct that it's probably a protected behavior. But IMO, the best teachers try to teach their students how to think. And so I would treat that response as a sort of distraction. Perhaps a red herring(?), and I would point that out.