• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"republican war on women"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not if the calls are coming from democrats. Republicans live to irritate democrats these days. Are there any Republicans calling for his resignation?
Actually, the only calls I've heard for him to step down are from Republicans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Abortion is a women's health issue. That is, the policy affects ALL women, not just liberal women. Restrictions are bad for ALL women, not just liberal women. As FH's article shows, even pro-life women will eagerly demand abortions when they believe their circumstances are inappropriate for motherhood, even though they'll holler that the doctor is a murderer while they wait their turn. It's a major issue. You can't just sweep it under the rug. No women's health strategy is complete without safe, legal access to abortion.
No rug sweeping here...perhaps you confuse me with another poster.
I'm just objecting to the empty phrase "war on women".

4consideration

Premium Member
I object to the phrase "war on women" because it presupposes a sense of authority to speak for all women. Two women can completely disagree on a topic without viewing it as one holding the "noble for women" opinion, and the other holding the "have no right to have that opinion" opinion. I do not believe that the republicans have a "war" on women. If I were to take that position for republicans, the same position would also apply to democrats as well. This is phrase is just a political talking point.

I guess that I'm just one of those "old-school type feminists" that believe that a woman has the right to think for herself. Period. I object to another woman implying or telling me that I ought to "get with the program" and support the official, handed down, duly authorized, agreed-to-by-some unknown-group-of-people opinion on a topic.

I do not agree that any man has the right to tell me what to think just because he has a penis and "knows better." Nor do I agree to any woman telling me what to think just because she has a vagina and calls herself a feminist and supports what is understood as the "official feminist" view on a matter.

I am not directing this post at any individual male or female poster on this thread. And I apologize for not reading through this thread before replying.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I object to the phrase "war on women" because it presupposes a sense of authority to speak for all women. Two women can completely disagree on a topic without viewing it as one holding the "noble for women" opinion, and the other holding the "have no right to have that opinion" opinion. I do not believe that the republicans have a "war" on women. If I were to take that position for republicans, the same position would also apply to democrats as well. This is phrase is just a political talking point.

I guess that I'm just one of those "old-school type feminists" that believe that a woman has the right to think for herself. Period. I object to another woman implying or telling me that I ought to "get with the program" and support the official, handed down, duly authorized, agreed-to-by-some unknown-group-of-people opinion on a topic.

I do not agree that any man has the right to tell me what to think just because he has a penis and "knows better." Nor do I agree to any woman telling me what to think just because she has a vagina and calls herself a feminist and supports what is understood as the "official feminist" view on a matter.

I am not directing this post at any individual male or female poster on this thread. And I apologize for not reading through this thread before replying.

No apologies needed here. I agree with you. :yes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see thru your ruse....it's really an anti-Willie post!
But you spared yourself much useless tedium by skipping the prior blather in this now long thread.

4consideration

Premium Member
I see thru your ruse....it's really an anti-Willie post!
But you spared yourself much useless tedium by skipping the prior blather in this now long thread.

No anti-Willie! I like Willie.

(I just kept trying to get to reading this thread, and it is so long now I can't justify spending the time at this moment.) I just had to put my 2 cents in (well, I guess by now the expression should be $2.) :)

Alceste

Vagabond
No rug sweeping here...perhaps you confuse me with another poster.
I'm just objecting to the empty phrase "war on women".

I agree with Sunstone that there is a nugget of truth in there, though. If you think of it in terms of the States' "war on drugs" rather than their "war on terror", the term implies "a moral crusade using the authority of the state to inhibit the rights and freedoms of individuals to appease social conservatives" rather than "throwing some bombs around." It's not the first time the word "war" has been used that way, nor will it be the last.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm still trying to imagine the science behind this rape thing. Would women agree to be raped so they could be tested? Would seriously repulsive men participate in this experiment?

I was trying to picture what legitimate rape would be like as opposed to illegitimate rape.

Would illegitimate rape be something like, "No! Stop! Oh, don't stop!"?

Legit rape, would that be, "OK you **** teaser, I have every right to do this"?

This guy makes me sick. I guess there really is a war on women after all.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Wake up: It's not just Akin - CNN.com

from article said:
Last March, in a discussion in the Kansas House about whether women purchase separate abortion-only policies, Republican state Rep. Pete DeGraaf suggested women should plan ahead for rape the way he keeps a spare tire. A few weeks later, Indiana state Rep. Eric Turner, a Republican, said some women might fake being raped in order to get free abortions.
Former presidential hopeful Rick Santorum suggested doctors who perform an abortion on a woman who becomes pregnant from an attack should be thrown in jail and this year suggested rape victims who become pregnant from an attack should be forced to keep the baby and "make the best out of a bad situation."

I think Pete DeGraffe's comment riles me the most. Sure any woman (or man) should always plan ahead and be prepared to defend themselves, but that applies to anything. It's the way he said it, "we should plan ahead for rape like he carries around a spare tire", It's just... gah, I'm having trouble finding the words at the moment and I have to go pick up a friend. I'm sure I'll think of a way to describe it though.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Yes, they can be a misinformed bunch, but that doesn't mean that they wage "war on women".
This seems no more valid than saying Democrats wage a "war on babies".

Ok, then more like a (Battle) with women over what should be their right as women to make medical decisions for themselves.

For some reason I thought they were against big government......

Alceste

Vagabond
Ok, then more like a (Battle) with women over what should be their right as women to make medical decisions for themselves.

They are social authoritarians and economic libertarians. The absolute worst possible combination for anyone who aspires to live in a just and reasonable society. Monsanto should be allowed to dump toxic chemicals in your drinking water with no fear of repercussion, but if you try to buy a morning after pill when you've been gang raped you go to jail.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Hey I have a question about abortion that just occurred to me. If it was a supreme court decision that made it legal to get an abortion then how would it be possible for congress to pass a law outlawing abortion again? How can congress overrule the supreme court? And if they did pass any laws to outlaw or restrict it then couldn't someone just file a lawsuit and call up roe vs. wade and have the law overturned.

I don't my confusion is probably due to my ignorance on the relationship between supreme court and congress and what each one can do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many Publicans love big gov't.
But it isn't a battle with just women, since men & women are on both sides of the issue.
It's a "war on abortion rights".
Sure it's more dramatic to make it a war between 2 genders, but it's more accurate to call it what it is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree with Sunstone that there is a nugget of truth in there....
Of course there is, but for me it is overshadowed by the nugget of dishonest histrionics.

If you think of it in terms of the States' "war on drugs" rather than their "war on terror", the term implies "a moral crusade using the authority of the state to inhibit the rights and freedoms of individuals to appease social conservatives" rather than "throwing some bombs around."
It doesn't imply that. You only infer it.
The "war on drugs" isn't called the "war on hippies & civil liberty".
The "war on terror" isn't called the "war on Muslims & militias".
So the "war on abortion rights" shouldn't be called the "war on women".

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Except it's not just abortion Revoltingest, It's contraception in general, wanting to defund planned parenthood Holding a panel about birth control without any women on the panel or in hearings, trying to redefine rape, etc.