• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"republican war on women"

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm glad you asked, Right now, the US is so restrictive that the fight is at the margins.
Liberating Bone Marrow Donors | Cato Institute: Policy Forum

I like your qualifier, "entirely". It gives me hope that your dark side will emerge.

The coercion argument is a hypothetical one at best, & wrong at worst (since what Favlun calls "coercion" isn't that at all).
Whom are you imagining to coerce the seller into selling the organs? What are they threatening to do? Is it just to not buy the organs?
The same argument has also been made about why prostitution should be illegal (women are so fragile & vulnerable), yet you both
support legal selling of sexual services.

What I see is that people who are comfortable with abortion, defend it under the rubric of autonomy, especially women's autonomy.
Yet dispensing with autonomy with one's body, & the lightweight arguments against organ sale suggest that the real opposition is
just being uncomfortable.

Except that I have no issue with bone marrow donation for compensation. Nor do I have any issue with laws inhibiting the black market organ trade, which is to much of a temptation for ruthless individuals to ignore. Unlike selling your vital organs, marrow donation will not shorten your life for the benefit of somebody with more money than you.

Also, it is a conservative position that prostitution should remain illegal in this country. The progressives want to legalize all sorts of outlawed behavior with the potential for self-harm, including drug abuse and prostitution.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Do you cry every time you masturbate? After all, you just eliminated the possibility of hundreds of potential sons and daughters. Do you hold a funeral every time your sister has her period, for the loss of all those little neices and nephews? Why not? It's just an "earlier state".

:clap

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Except that I have no issue with bone marrow donation for compensation.
That's great. But it's illegal here. We're working on it.

Nor do I have any issue with laws inhibiting the black market organ trade, which is to much of a temptation for ruthless individuals to ignore. Unlike selling your vital organs, marrow donation will not shorten your life for the benefit of somebody with more money than you.
Ahah! So it's really about class warefare, eh?
I focus on the free exchange aspect, & don't consider class manifestations.
I've no objection if someone poor wants to sell a kidney, part of a liver, or a big toe in order to make a pile of money.
But you'd say to them..."You can't do that, even though you need the money. I don't like it. I'd rather that you lose your house than see a wealthy man get off dialysis."

Also, it is a conservative position that prostitution should remain illegal in this country. The progressives want to legalize all sorts of outlawed behavior with the potential for self-harm, including drug abuse and prostitution.
Nah, it's not just cons...I see lefties opposing prostitution too.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
That's great. But it's illegal here. We're working on it.

Ahah! So it's really about class warefare, eh?
I focus on the free exchange aspect, & don't consider class manifestations.

Nah, it's not just cons...I see lefties opposing prostitution too.

In a recent case in Canada, the organizations testifying against legalization of prostitution were all conservative. The organizations for legalization were progressive. Same goes for drug legalization. Are there individuals on either side of the spectrum who deviate from the general consensus? Sure, always, but you're pretty far off base to suggest that progressives in general support the criminalization of potentially self-harming behavior.

Alceste

Vagabond
One guy considered a nutcase by his fellow Pubs does not a war make.
Besides, does he really wage war against women, or does he really believe that abortion is wrong?

He apparently believes rape can't make a woman pregnant, which is even stupider and crazier than believing abortion is wrong.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In a recent case in Canada, the organizations testifying against legalization of prostitution were all conservative. The organizations for legalization were progressive. Same goes for drug legalization. Are there individuals on either side of the spectrum who deviate from the general consensus? Sure, always, but you're pretty far off base to suggest that progressives in general support the criminalization of potentially self-harming behavior.
I speak of US politics.
I've no idea what happens in the frozen north, so I rarely address it.
We've even had cons down here propose legalizing drugs, since the drug war is going so badly. And yes, progressives
do often support restricting what they consider self-harming behavior, eg, criminalizing organ sales. If they were
really progressive, they'd call themselves "libertarian" instead.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He apparently believes rape can't make a woman pregnant, which is even stupider and crazier than believing abortion is wrong.
Perhaps his brain secretes an anti-intelligence or anti-sanity chemical when he's confronted by microphones.

Alceste

Vagabond
I speak of US politics.
I've no idea what happens in the frozen north, so I rarely address it.
We've even had cons down here propose legalizing drugs, since the drug war is going so badly. And yes, progressives
do often support restricting what they consider self-harming behavior, eg, criminalizing organ sales. If they were
really progressive, they'd call themselves "libertarian" instead.

You speak of individuals, not generalities. One self identifying woman who was born with a penis doesn't indicate that women in general have penises. The decriminalization of drugs and sex work is a secular-progressive position, not a religious-conservative one. In general, conservatives tend toward social authoritarianism and market deregulation, whereas progressives tend toward social liberalism and market regulation. If a few of you knuckle-heads have seen the light with regard to prostitution, that's common ground, not a coup.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You speak of individuals, not generalities.
Nope.

The denomination of drugs and sex work is a secular-progressive position, not a religious-conservative one. In general, conservatives tend toward social authoritarianism and market deregulation, whereas progressives tend toward social liberalism and market regulation.
Generally true, but there is some overlap.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
One guy considered a nutcase by his fellow Pubs does not a war make.
Besides, does he really wage war against women, or does he really believe that abortion is wrong?

Yes. It's clear that they're at odds with what should be the woman's right and not something defined by a bunch of men who seem to believe that when a woman is raped she can't get pregnant because of some vaginal secretion that kills sperm...:rolleyes:

This isnt isolated to him either. Romney, who once said he supported that woman's right, has done a 180. Ryan is certainly of the same school of thought considering his name is on a bill with Akin......heck....I think Ron Paul's name is on the dotted line along with Rick Santorum, Gingrich and Rick Perry concerning "Personhood".......

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes. It's clear that they're at odds with what should be the woman's right and not something defined by a bunch of men who seem to believe that when a woman is raped she can't get pregnant because of some vaginal secretion that kills sperm...:rolleyes:
Yes, they can be a misinformed bunch, but that doesn't mean that they wage "war on women".
This seems no more valid than saying Democrats wage a "war on babies".

This isnt isolated to him either. Romney, who once said he supported that woman's right, has done a 180. Ryan is certainly of the same school of thought considering his name is on a bill with Akin......heck....I think Ron Paul's name is on the dotted line along with Rick Santorum, Gingrich and Rick Perry concerning "Personhood".......
I'm aware that a great many Pubs are anti-abortion, but that still isn't an argument supporting
the claim that they're waging a war on women, rather than just being anti-abortion.

Alceste

Vagabond
Yes, they can be a misinformed bunch, but that doesn't mean that they wage "war on women".
This seems no more valid than saying Democrats wage a "war on babies".

I'm aware that a great many Pubs are anti-abortion, but that still isn't an argument supporting
the claim that they're waging a war on women, rather than just being anti-abortion.

Abortion is a women's health issue. That is, the policy affects ALL women, not just liberal women. Restrictions are bad for ALL women, not just liberal women. As FH's article shows, even pro-life women will eagerly demand abortions when they believe their circumstances are inappropriate for motherhood, even though they'll holler that the doctor is a murderer while they wait their turn. It's a major issue. You can't just sweep it under the rug. No women's health strategy is complete without safe, legal access to abortion.