• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Replacement statues?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I try not to care. In this whole affair, I see too much cultural erasure. I'm not comfortable with it.

In any case, this statue will get deleted too when a culture with power and influence decides it should go away. It's high time more people revived the practice of household shrines. We Pagans do this all the time as a matter of course, but unlike these public displays, house shrines are personal and private. You can change them when you want to reflect the gods/values you are currently honoring, and you're not erasing anyone's cultural icons. It just reflects you and yours, which means it intrudes on no one.

ecco

Veteran Member
I happily await the renaming of the J. Edgar Hoover FBI headquarters. It's time to stop celebrating a hypocritical/corrupt pseudo-homophobe.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Octavia Butler replacing Robert E Lee would be awesome. Someone of war and destruction to preserve slavery being replaced by a black female artist and creator. The opposite legacy of Lee.
Oh Octavia is awesome!
If there’s not one already how about Maya Angelou? But I suppose you’d already have one of a civil rights activist, right?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You're uncomfortable with erasing a glorification of a person who is a reflection of an apex low that many cultures featured?

Yes, that's exactly what I said, Shadow Wolf. Spot on, right there. This is totally representative of what I meant. :rolleyes:

In case it wasn't obvious, that was sarcasm.

Culture changes. Isn't it just new culture?

Yes. Culture always changes. What is in fashion now, will be out of fashion later. This process never stops. The next thing in fashion will get torn down and discarded with something else in time. It is what it is and I try not to care much about it either way. It reminds me too much of the systematic destruction of cultures throughout history, and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth regardless of whether or not I agree with or am a member of the culture being destroyed. I like diversity over homogeneity. Instead of "tear it down and destroy it" my response is more along the lines of "lets add another one right next to it." It prompts an honest look at our history that doesn't ignore where we've been while also moving forward with new cultural norms. I think that would be pretty cool, space permitting. They kinda did something like this at a nature preserve near where I live - used to be an awful place but there are plaques around that tell the history of it honestly even as the landscape is now transformed.

Or we can just not have statues in public spaces, period. They're effectively religious idols one way or another whether or not they are called as such. Keep that stuff to your house shrines. House shrines are fun, don't bother others, and are a great way to honor your values without intruding.

ecco

Veteran Member
It reminds me too much of the systematic destruction of cultures throughout history, and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth regardless of whether or not I agree with or am a member of the culture being destroyed.

Ah, yes.

Getting rid of Confederate statues is indicative of the systematic destruction of the culture of adoration of people who were traitors.

Getting rid of Confederate statues is indicative of the systematic destruction of the culture of adoration of people who took inspiration and comfort from the Bible when they owned and beat slaves.

Getting rid of Confederate statues is indicative of the systematic destruction of the culture of adoration of people who were losers.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, yes.

Getting rid of Confederate statues is indicative of the systematic destruction of the culture of adoration of people who were traitors.

Getting rid of Confederate statues is indicative of the systematic destruction of the culture of adoration of people who took inspiration and comfort from the Bible when they owned and beat slaves.

Getting rid of Confederate statues is indicative of the systematic destruction of the culture of adoration of people who were losers.

Um... okay? You can interpret it however you want. Not sure what your point is.