• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Survey ~ PLEASE REPLY!!!

Dreamwolf

Blissful Insomniac
The only one I know about was called by Constantine to define the nature of Jesus and decide on the final line up of the Bible. It caused alot of problems in that it told some of the people that were already Christian that their beliefs were wrong and you can imagine ...

Booko

Deviled Hen
1. What should we call you?
2. How old are you?

Booko

3. Where are your from?

Originally, Michigan, U.S.

4. What religion were you raised?

Reformed (Calvinist)

5. What religion are you now?

Baha'i

6. If you are NOT the same religion as when you were raised, why did you choose to change?

I was an atheist for years. Then later I ran across the Writings of Baha'u'llah, which was a better explanation for the world and for human history and was a good approach to life as well.

7. Do you believe in a god/gods?

Yes.

8. If so, who?

One God, known by people under many names. God is (among other things) referred to as the Unknowable Essence, and names are just human things we attach to that same, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the human constructs. :)

9. If not, why?
10. What are your thoughts on Creationism?

An ostriches approach to science. No, seriously -- it's the logical result of insisting a text must be read entirely literally.

11. What are your thoughts on Evolution?

It's been observed, it happens, my religious texts say its obvious that thing have not always looked as they do now. I have no problem with it, unless someone wants to get silly and say that evolution "proves" there is no supernatural Other.

12. How do you think we got here?

Meh. If God wants to use changes in DNA over time to create things, that's His business. :D

13. What kinds of rituals/ceremonies do you have in your religion?

No rituals to speak of. We're about as non-sacerdotal a religion as it gets. A marriage does involve the couple reciting a specific verse, but anything else you do is your business. Our regular gatherings have 3 defined sections to them, but we are actively DIScouraged from getting into any habits beyond just having "devotions," "consultation," and "social" portions, in that order.

We do have daily obligatory prayer, and some of those prayers do involve ablutions. There are specific verses we may recite as well. But these are done in private, and there's not much that's ritualistic about them. It's probably the closest thing to ritual that we have.

14. Why do you perform these?

Hm, well if you believe Baha'u'llah was who He clamed to be (a prophet), it would be kinda silly not to pay attention to what He said, eh?

15. How do you talk to your god/gods?

Prayer. Meditating on the Writings.

Work done in the spirit of service to others is also considered a form of worship.

16. To you, what is the difference between religion and spirituality?

Not a lot, really. I suppose "religion" might imply a more formal structure than "spirituality," but a "religion" that is devoid of "spirituality" seems to be a waste of time at best and downright dangerous at worst. On the other hand, sometimes "spirituality," when too free form, can allow room for the worst parts of us to come to the fore, and become at best a form of ego-centric navel-gazing, and at worst provide a vehicle for thinking one is "above" others. It seems a mixed bag.

17. Going by how you defined Spirituality, are you spiritual?

I suppose so.

18. What are your spiritual beliefs?

That we're here for a reason, and our "job" in this life is to figure out what that reason is and to become better people and to be of benefit to the world around us. That's the essence anyway.

19. Do you feel you have to be in a center of worship to commune with your god?

No, not at all. Most Baha'is don't have buildings to worship in anyway. And sometimes being alone is the best venue.

20. Do you have a text that you consider holy or sacred that you base your life and principles by?

Yes.

21. Do you feel that you succeed in doing so?

I wish. :rolleyes: It would be better to say that I hope I succeed in *trying*.

22. What are your thoughts on Heaven?

Nice place. I look forward to meeting everyone on RF there.

23. What do you think we have to do to go there?

We all go there. The question is whether we go into the next live with "spiritual birth defects" -- unable to function as well as we'd like. Even so, we all make progress even in that life -- though it's up to God then, and not on account of any choices we get.

24. What are your thoughts on Hell?

Hell is a nice way to illustrate the notion of "you'll be sorry you didn't attend to spiritual things in this life." Kinda like heart disease is your body saying, "aren't you sorry you had a crappy diet and didn't exercise while you could?" There is no such place as Hell, though.

25. What do you think we have to do to end up there?

In the sense of being "born" into the next life with those spiritual birth defects, what we have to do is NOT learn lessons we need in this life. Be a cruel and uncaring person and never improve from where we started as individuals.

26. Where do you think you would end up if they exist?

We all pretty much end up in the same place anyway. As for what "place" I might have in the next life -- that's far above my pay grade. I prefer to pay attention to what I need to be doing now, and the rest will take care of itself.

27. Do you believe in the devil?

Only as an allegorical figure.

28. Who are Adam & Eve to you?

Adam is a prophet that began the "cycle" of prophets that began with humanity settling down to agriculture and which is not ending. Eve, so the story goes, was his wife. Those tales are very old, and I don't read them like I would a modern historical account of the Battle of the Bulge.

29. Who is Abraham to you?

Another prophet. One title used is "Friend of God."

30. Who is Noah to you?

Yup, yet another prophet. (This is also taught in Islam, btw.)

31. Who is Jesus Christ to you?

Another prophet and the founder of Christianity.

32. Could he have been married?

Inside the context of my faith, no, because our Writings refer to Him as "He Who never married." End of story.

Outside the context of my faith, sure, he could've been. It's not like we have a lot of historical data like we would for a more recent figure.

33. If not, why?

34. Who is Muhammad to you?

A prophet and the founder of Islam. One title used is "Seal of the Prophets" -- though Baha'is believe Him to be the seal of the *minor* prophets (nabi) and not the *major* religion-founding ones (rasul). Needless to say, Muslims disagree with on this point.

35. Who is Joseph Smith to you?

Someone who was tuned into something at the time, though I personally would think of him more as a "seer" than a prophet.

36. Who is Anton LeVey to you?

A guy in California who had some righteous beefs with religions that he ran into and who thought self-reliance was a good thing.

37. What are your thoughts on the Council of Nicea?

"It is better to be unified than to be right."

38. Do you believe in past lives?

No.

39. What do you think happens when we die?

We live on in some non-corporeal form.

40. Do you believe in Ghosts, Demons, Angels, Spirits, or Magic?

Angels, maybe, sorta. Our Writings make reference to the "Concourse on High" (those people who have gone on before us).

41. Do you think we each have a divine purpose, a destiny?

Yes.

42. Do you believe in true love?

Yes.

43. Do you believe in love at first sight?

Yes.

44. What are your thoughts on Karma?

The idea is present in some form in every major religion. That is "as you sow, so shall you reap."

I find the idea of karma mighty useful in daily life, though it is not precisely as the Eastern religions express it, because I don't believe in reincarnation.

45. What are your thoughts on abortion?

It's a lousy thing generally, but sometimes necessary. It's definitely a "homocide" -- the question is whether it is also "justifiable homocide." In my religion, abortion is not to be used as a means of birth control, but it's up to the woman and her doctors to make medical decisions.

46. When do you think the world will end?

When the sun goes nova.

47. How do you think it will end?

See above.

48. Even if you don't believe in god, please answer this question on the theory that God exists. If you were able to ask god one question, what would it be?

Why would you create people homosexual and then tell them not to express their feelings? I mean, we all have our challenges in life, but that seems unusually tough to deal with, and the "problem" with the expression seems non-obvious compared to something like, oh, a propensity to violence.

49. What do you think the answer is?

Beats me. I'm looking forward to finding the answer.

50. What are your thoughts on the Pentagram?

It's a symbol used in several religions and has a long history of significance.

Aeiralo

Aei is fine.
2. How old are you?

Fifteen
3. Where are you from?

Born in Washington State, live in Utah, would rather live in the U.K.

Mormon
None. Or atheist, if you prefer.
6. If you are NOT the same religion as when you were raised, why did you choose to change?

Gained Intelligence.

No,
8. If so, who?
9. If not, why?

Why should I?
Ridiculous.

Fairly Intelligent.

...Other humans?
None
14. Why do you perform these? N/A
15. How do you talk to your god/gods? N/A
Spirituality is within.
Nope
18. What are your spiritual beliefs? N/A
If I had one, absolutely not.
20. Do you have a text that you consider holy or sacred that you base your life and principles by?

Does not exist.
Does not exist.
No.
People. Not the first, and certainly not the last.
A abuser of babies. Sort of.
30. Who is Noah to you?
No one important.
A historical figure. No one special.
Yup.
33. If not, why?
No one important.
A person who tells fairy tales.
A guy who wants in the limelight.
Eh.
Still iffy on that, but no, not really.
...We get buried.
No.
No.
Sometimes.
Yes, though it doesn't happen much.
Mostly a farce.
Allowable, though shouldn't be used as a birth control.
Never
48. Even if you don't believe in god, please answer this question on the theory that God exists. If you were able to ask god one question, what would it be?
Are you amused by all of this?
Yes.
Just a pretty symbol.

uumckk16

I'm really kind of bafflied by this answer, lilithu. You can say that Muhammad was the founder of Islam; You can say that Anton LeVey was the founder of Satanism. But you can't say that Joseph Smith was the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints without offending someone? Or was it that you couldn't just state that fact as you stated the other two facts and leave it at that? Seriously, I had no idea your feelings about him were that strongly negative. :(

Katzpur, just to point it out, that poster wasn't lilithu, it was †Lilith†.

1. What should we call you? McKenna
2. How old are you? Irrelevant
3. Where are your from? USA
4. What religion were you raised? None
5. What religion are you now? Unitarian Universalist
6. If you are NOT the same religion as when you were raised, why did you choose to change? I wanted a community in which I could explore my spirituality.
7. Do you believe in a god/gods? Yes
8. If so, who? Er...God
9. If not, why? ---
10. What are your thoughts on Creationism? I believe God created the Universe. Aside from that, I'll go with science, thanks.
11. What are your thoughts on Evolution? Works for me.
12. How do you think we got here? God created the Universe.
13. What kinds of rituals/ceremonies do you have in your religion? Not many. We light a chalice? Haha...
14. Why do you perform these? Community?
15. How do you talk to your god/gods? I communicate directly through prayer. But God knows all my thoughts anyway.
16. To you, what is the difference between religion and spirituality? Religion is the means through which we express our spirituality. Religion is more community-oriented, spirituality is a personal thing.
17. Going by how you defined Spirituality, are you spiritual? Yes.
18. What are your spiritual beliefs? On what?
19. Do you feel you have to be in a center of worship to commune with your god? No.
20. Do you have a text that you consider holy or sacred that you base your life and principles by? I love all the scriptures I've read. I consider any text through which God may speak to us to be sacred.
21. Do you feel that you succeed in doing so? I fall short far too often.
22. What are your thoughts on Heaven? It's our ultimate goal and destination. We'll all end up there eventually. I don't know what it will be like.
23. What do you think we have to do to go there? Be compassionate rather than self-centered.
24. What are your thoughts on Hell? We create Hell here on Earth for ourself.
25. What do you think we have to do to end up there? N/A
26. Where do you think you would end up if they exist? I believe everyone will end up in Heaven eventually. But hey, we have eternity to figure it out.
27. Do you believe in the devil? Not as a literal being, no.
28. Who are Adam & Eve to you? Characters in a beautiful story which serves as a metaphor for the human condition of feeling separated from God.
29. Who is Abraham to you? A biblical figure. Possibly a prophet.
30. Who is Noah to you? A biblical figure. I don't believe the story he's featured in.
31. Who is Jesus Christ to you? That would take a long time to answer. I'm still working on that one. Jesus was a man in whom God glowed. Christ is the spiritual figure he became after his death.
32. Could he have been married? Possibly.
33. If not, why? ---
34. Who is Muhammad to you? The founder of Islam. Possibly a prophet.
35. Who is Joseph Smith to you? The founder of Mormonism. Possibly a prophet.
36. Who is Anton LeVey to you? A man who had something to do with Satanism.
37. What are your thoughts on the Council of Nicea? I disagree with their creed.
38. Do you believe in past lives? I think so.
39. What do you think happens when we die? No clue. I think we continue our spiritual progress in some way.
40. Do you believe in Ghosts, Demons, Angels, Spirits, or Magic? What's the difference between ghosts and spirits? I guess my answer for all of those would be "not sure."
41. Do you think we each have a divine purpose, a destiny? In a sense.
42. Do you believe in true love? Not sure.
43. Do you believe in love at first sight? It's possible but highly unlikely.
44. What are your thoughts on Karma? It makes sense to me.
45. What are your thoughts on abortion? I find it immoral but I hesitate to make it entirely illegal.
46. When do you think the world will end? I have no idea.
47. How do you think it will end? Black hole, asteroid, nuclear war, Universe contracting...who knows?
48. Even if you don't believe in god, please answer this question on the theory that God exists. If you were able to ask god one question, what would it be? Am I on the right track?
49. What do you think the answer is? ...
50. What are your thoughts on the Pentagram? It's a symbol...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Katzpur, just to point it out, that poster wasn't lilithu, it was †Lilith†.
Oh, my gosh!!!! Big, big apologies! No wonder it didn't make sense. You know, when †Lilith† first joined RF, I thought, "Oh boy! At some point down the road, I going to get her mixed up with Lilithu." Then I completely forgot about her. When I saw that post, I thought, "Huh? That doesn't sound at all like Lilithu. I can't believe she said that!" I am so embarrassed I want to die! :eek:

BM5

This is a religious survey.

**Please reply to [email protected] with your answers,

It would be greatly appreciated if you would repost this.

You may remain anonymous.

Please be honest.

2. How old are you?
3. Where are your from?
8. If so, who?
9. If not, why?
30. Who is Noah to you?
33. If not, why?

Thank you for your answers. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Please email your answers to [email protected].

Do not reply to the poster.

**It would be greatly appreciated if you would repost this.**

Too much and too mannnnnnnnny questions.

tmaromine

1. What should we call you? - An atheist.
2. How old are you? - Irrelevant. (But, a mid-teen.)
3. Where are your from? - Queens, New York.
4. What religion were you raised? - Wasn't raised too religiously, but I'd say Christian if I had to choose.
5. What religion are you now? - Atheism (but it isn't a 'religion').
6. If you are NOT the same religion as when you were raised, why did you choose to change? - I eventually started to question the validity of a god, and eventually a god and all religion just became surreal and non-real.
7. Do you believe in a god/gods? - No.
8. If so, who? - ––
9. If not, why? - A god just seems like a quick run to comfort, or answer. I think that there once were people who wanted knowledge - who wanted answers, so they created an answer.
10. What are your thoughts on Creationism? - Non-real.
11. What are your thoughts on Evolution? - Most definitely true, and if not evolution, I in myself know it isn't creationism.
12. How do you think we got here? - "Chance". We don't have to be here, we're not obliged to be here, we just are here.
13. What kinds of rituals/ceremonies do you have in your religion? - None.
14. Why do you perform these? - ––
15. How do you talk to your god/gods? - ––
16. To you, what is the difference between religion and spirituality? - Not too much, except that spirituality doesn't need religion, or a belief in a god.
17. Going by how you defined Spirituality, are you spiritual? - I think so, yes.
18. What are your spiritual beliefs? - That humans have no meaning on Earth, until we as humans give our lives a meaning. Hard to explain... It's mostly just the feeling of peace when looking at the stars, and thinking and contemplating.
19. Do you feel you have to be in a center of worship to commune with your god? - ––
20. Do you have a text that you consider holy or sacred that you base your life and principles by? - No.
21. Do you feel that you succeed in doing so? - ––
22. What are your thoughts on Heaven? - Non real.
23. What do you think we have to do to go there? - Were it real, I would believe it as a place where people just have to be good beings, to themselves and to others.
24. What are your thoughts on Hell? - Non real.
25. What do you think we have to do to end up there? - Were it real, just be a bad person, and do bad things to others.
26. Where do you think you would end up if they exist? - By my idea of Heaven, in Heaven.
27. Do you believe in the devil? - No.
28. Who are Adam & Eve to you? - Which ones ? (Or, toward the Bible's depiction, not real – there were never 'the first two humans'.)
29. Who is Abraham to you? - Some main character in the eastern-world's religious writings...
30. Who is Noah to you? - A man said to have sailed a ship with two of every species. While a Noah back then may have sailed a ship, it wasn't one bigger than a football field, and it didn't have two of every species in the world aboard.
31. Who is Jesus Christ to you? - A man that died for humanity, willingly.
32. Could he have been married? - He was a human, so yes. But I have no idea if he really was or really wasn't.
33. If not, why? - I think he could have.
34. Who is Muhammad to you? - Another character along with Abraham.
35. Who is Joseph Smith to you? - I know of a religious character Joseph, I think, but not a Joseph Smith, so, I guess Joseph Smith is no one to me.
36. Who is Anton LeVey to you? - Sounds like some American or French guy, from a more current era ? No one to me...
37. What are your thoughts on the Council of Nicea? - Another church / church-peoples.
38. Do you believe in past lives? - As in, if I had a life before this one ? Somewhat, but not fully.
39. What do you think happens when we die? - We just seize to exist.
40. Do you believe in Ghosts, Demons, Angels, Spirits, or Magic? - Ghosts, more or less. Demons, maybe somewhat. Spirits I see as the same as ghosts ; demons or angels no ; magic, not much.
41. Do you think we each have a divine purpose, a destiny? - Not divinely, but yes, inside ourselves. We have a destiny that we want to fulfil based on what pleases us, and a purpose only if we create one for ourselves.
42. Do you believe in true love? - Yes.
43. Do you believe in love at first sight? - Mostly.
44. What are your thoughts on Karma? - It's a good thing to follow just to better one's self/being, but I don't think it has real effects on the world, other than by people acting better.
45. What are your thoughts on abortion? - That it is ok in cases as rape, or if the mother could die by continuing with birth. Other times, I think it is mostly wrong.
46. When do you think the world will end? - Whenever we bomb ourselves, or we go into an ignorant, non-scienceful world and we get hit struck by some asteroid or some thing of the sort.
47. How do you think it will end? - I think probably by us killing ourselves ; coming in second: by some asteroid or some thing like that.
48. Even if you don't believe in god, please answer this question on the theory that God exists. If you were able to ask god one question, what would it be? - Why have you created a world in which there doesn't seem to be much evidence of you and that it's all faith, and thus makes it hard for some to believe in you ?
49. What do you think the answer is? - "You should have faith."...
50. What are your thoughts on the Pentagram? - Just a religious symbol.

Mind some of my historical ignorance, in a place here and there.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
I did it. Copied here for snits and giggles.

Craig

2. How old are you?

3. Where are your from?
Ohio

Luthern Christian

B'nai Noach

Through spiritual groth and study and prayer

No.

8. If so, who?

9. If not, why?
I believe their is but one single Creator who is known to all cultures by differing names.

I believe the world was created by the Creator but we have yet to understand how and on what time line.

If we came from apes why are there still apes?

We were created by G-d.

Mostly prayer.

It is my conection to the Creator

In my own words as well as reciting Tehillim.

Spirituallity is the degree in which we relate to our Creator and the world. Religion is the traditions of that relationship.

Yes, I think we all are to a degree.

We are put on this earth to correct our souls and do goodness while drawing as close to our Creator as possible.

No. In nature is where we can be closest to the Creator.

Yes. Torah.

Yes.

heaven is another plane of existance and another world. I do not believe we go there when we die.

I do not believe we will go there.

Doesn't exist.

Doesn't exist.

Here but only in a transformed world.

No.

The first man and woman.

The first monotheist.

30. Who is Noah to you?
The prophet that G-d made an ever lasting covenant that I still live by today.

False messiah.

Yes.

33. If not, why?

An influencial religious leader.

An enfluencial religious leader.

Propagandist.

Where Christianity and Judaism went their seperate ways.

Yes.

We either come back for more soul correction or we wait for the final judgement at which time we undergo a period of purifying which lasts no longer than 12 months and then we are resurrected into the messianic age.

Maybe. Somewhat. Yes. Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

it's a concept that has many names but does have a cosmic place in life.

To save the life of a mother but not as birth control.

Never.

Who killed JFK.

Government plot.

It's a symbol.

anders

FWIW,

Why should you?
2. How old are you?

3. Where are your from?
Sweden
Please ask in English
Who says I am a religion?
See above
No
8. If so, who?
N/A
9. If not, why?
Never saw/met one
A lunacy.
Supported by all and every scientific fact
I got here by car
N/A
Very N/A
Yawn.
”Spirituality” means nothing to me
Hope not
I’m getting tired
I told you I had no God
No
Doing what?
Another word for the universe. Other meaning would be useless.
Spacecraft
Not existing
Get insane
N/A
No
Fable characters
Same
30. Who is Noah to you?

Same
Same
I told you, fable!
33. If not, why?
Sigh.
The founder of the Islamic faith
Who???
Never heard of him
Might be interesting if I had more time to spare.
NO!
We die.
No, no, etc.
Divine purpose, no. Defined destiny’, no.
Some girls are too good to be true.
Infatuation yes, desire, yes. I hesitate to even define love.
A concept in some South Asian religions. And??
A woman, and only she herself, has the right to make decisions on her own body.
Will it?
See above
Do you exist?
Just kidding
A nice graphic. Carries no other meaning to me.

Bishka

Veteran Member
*Bumping* This thread for everyone who hasn't seen it. Even though I didn't create it's given me idea's for other threads.

maro

muslimah
34. Who is Muhammad to you? A prophet and the founder of the Church of Islam--I have no reason not to believe he was a holy man.

the church of islam :eek:

i found the word (founder ) repeated many times ,

again , Muhammed (Pbuh)is not the founder of islam , all the previous prophets and their followers were muslims as well , since adam (Pbuh) till Muhammed (pbuh ) , at least from an islamic point of view

so ,Prophet muhammed(Pbuh) being the founder is a common misconception that annoys muslims much :cover:

Bishka

Veteran Member
prophet Muhammed (Pbuh) was an illeterate man , he never wrote or read anything in his whole life :)

Maro, this is there feelings on it. Just like you hav eyours, this is theres. I feel that same way when people say things about Joseph Smith.:)

maro

muslimah
Maro, this is there feelings on it. Just like you hav eyours, this is theres. I feel that same way when people say things about Joseph Smith.:)

becky , i didn't reply to somone who replied to that question by ( No one ) , simply because this is his feelings , and i respected that

but prophet muhammed (Pbuh)being an illeterate man , is a fact , and not my feeling

the quran was written down by 7 of his companions , whom we call (katibt al wahi ) , "writers of the revelation "

I think a lot more people would respond if we didn't feel our forum was being 'used' as an easy way of gathering answers. People post surveys and then don't return- it doesn't seem very 'neighborly'.

I do not mean to make you feel that I am "using" your forum. It is true that your forum is an easy way of gathering the answers that I am searching for. That is only because the purpose of a forum is to communicate with many different people from many different places on many different topics and that is exactly what is needed to get accurate information.

I intend to return often and participate in your discussions when ever I can. The survey is also posted on many other forums and as well as other methods of distribution in order to reach as many people as possible.

Your comments and questions are always appreciated and individually answered. It is easiest to respond to your questions, comments and responses if they are received by email.

[email protected]

:no:
If you would like replies-I think you need to let us know who you are, what the purpose of your survey is, and what you are going to do with the information we supply?

The purpose of this survey is to accurately determine the world's beliefs. I do not mean religions. I would like to know what you believe. No matter what it is that you believe, with no bias and no debate about it being true.

With the information I am gathering I hope to educate the world as to the beliefs of those around them. It has not been decided how to do this just yet. The study is in the preliminary stages, and receives constant examination and change as feedback is received. All feedback is appreciated.

[email protected]