• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious rules on food - do you follow them?

Audie

Veteran Member
Much of our food, animal or plant, also comes from cheap exploited labour, whether it be Indian shudras, Chinese peasants, California illegal immigrants, or Panama banana plantation workers. Much of it is inorganic, grown with a ton of pesticides also. So other than some kind of backyard organic gardening, we're SOL on the being totally ethical.

I just look at minimizing it some.

Whether people are exploited is a complex issue.

Do you do a poor worker a favour by shuttering the
factory, or bankrupting thd farm?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Beef in America is raised on pastureland.
Fattened in feedlots, to get that cholesterol up.

There are millions of acres of padture. Many
millions.

A lot of food production. Some of it cannot be farmed
at all.

Farming is far far more environmentally destructive than
grazing.

Much of it cannot be farmed at all for sure. Even ranching is tough in places.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ha. Ask a rancher. It is tough anywhere. I can't believe
people are willing to do it.

Independent farming or ranching has extreme high risk as a business. Weather mostly. Even 50 years ago I saw maybe 1 in 10 leave the family farms to cities. Now it's mostly multinationals. If you can't diversify, relying on one commodity is always risky. Some years are okay, others are horrid.

Audie

Veteran Member
Independent farming or ranching has extreme high risk as a business. Weather mostly. Even 50 years ago I saw maybe 1 in 10 leave the family farms to cities. Now it's mostly multinationals. If you can't diversify, relying on one commodity is always risky. Some years are okay, others are horrid.

I am as city girl as you will ever find. So I will
quickly defer to those better informed.

Now, I do read, a lot, from many sources.
"Catholic", you might say. :D

I had a friend in college, she grew up on a fine
ranch in Wyoming. She had me out there fot
a month, one time! I was there three times so
far.

I observed and learned a lot, like a
sponge, everything. So intetesting, so
outside my experience!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am as city girl as you will ever find. So I will
quickly defer to those better informed.

Now, I do read, a lot, from many sources.
"Catholic", you might say. :D

I had a friend in college, she grew up on a fine
ranch in Wyoming. She had me out there fot
a month, one time! I was there three times so
far.

I observed and learned a lot, like a
sponge, everything. So intetesting, so
outside my experience!

I grew up on a family farm in Alberta. There were ranchers around, but most were mixed farms. The quality of land varied substantially within a few miles. Homesteaders got lucky or unlucky. Today there are hardly any mixed farms. Most went to straight grains, and the crops have diversified like crazy. I can't even tell what's growing any more, on country drives. I stop the car and go look closer. Still have cousins in it ... they went to elk, and/or bison ranching. Better money.

It's in my blood. but a long time ago.

We owned a square mile of rocks that was put to pasture use. All I can remember about driving across Wyoming was the antelope everywhere.

PruePhillip

Yep. Mostly.

Mormon here....Word of Wisdom. No coffee, tea, alcohol or tobacco. No 'street drugs.' We do not, however, get weird about it. If a Starbucks iced green tea latte is the only thing that can ease the nausea of a cancer patient, then go get the iced green tea latte. If a doctor prescribes medical marijuana, then go get the weed.

I go along with that. Mind you, I still get to smell coffee (that's a wonderful smell) and I'm glad. Coffee does NOT taste like it smells, and I get the best part.

I follow what Jesus said. "whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then
out of the body" We don't live under Old Testament ordinances.
Narcotics are a different matter as they would come under moral laws.
Fish, coffee, shellfish, pork.... we have no New Testament law in the bible about this.

Remté

In other words you're asking people to openly admit if they sin?
I presume if they break the rules they have an excuse and don't feel they sin. Besides that if a person breaks rules I find unnecessary I don't think they sin. So no. I don't really care. Only I am curious if they follow these rules. And what the rules are in each religion.

Remté

Not a religious diet but a sentient-yogic diet. No (non-prescribed) drugs (including tobacco), drinks or foods that harm the body or disturb the purity of the mind.
In practice this means no meat (or fowl), fish, eggs, fungi (like in some cheeses or mushrooms), stale or fermented foods, onion-family, red lentils, tea, coffee, cacao, nutmeg, durian fruit, alcohol, etc..
I follow this quite strictly just like most people who avoid taking drugs.

Just for personal health reasons I also avoid taking dairy (as well as for the sake of the animals).
What's wrong with onions and lentils scientifically?

Remté

I view a Christian view on that as believers today are more like Noah where God gave them all things to eat.
The focus is not on food but the heart

The Christian life is a rhythm of feasting and fasting but not mainly about food but about
faith, hope and love and glorifying God
Is there anything that glorifies God in meat mass production?

Shaul

Premium Member
As a Jew I follow the dietary requirements of Judaism. These requirements are referred to as the rule of kashrut. Someone who follows them is said to keep kosher, which means “fit” or proper. Although keeping kosher covers many things in lifestyle and not just diet. Some basics of kashrut dietary rules include the following: no particular restrictions on fruits and vegetables (although care is taken to ensure no insects are on them), only wine produced by Jews, no mixing dairy products with meat from milk producing species, only particular species are allowed, fish must have both fins and scales (therefore no shellfish), specific restrictions applied during festivals such as Passover (no leavened products then) and there are certain days in the calendar for required fasting. This is a partial list, there is much more to it. More details can be found here, What is Kosher Food, Certification, and Supervision? | OU Kosher

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Not a religious diet but a sentient-yogic diet. No (non-prescribed) drugs (including tobacco), drinks or foods that harm the body or disturb the purity of the mind.
In practice this means no meat (or fowl), fish, eggs, fungi (like in some cheeses or mushrooms), stale or fermented foods, onion-family, red lentils, tea, coffee, cacao, nutmeg, durian fruit, alcohol, etc..
I follow this quite strictly just like most people who avoid taking drugs.

Just for personal health reasons I also avoid taking dairy (as well as for the sake of the animals).

I think it is safe to say that the sentient-yogic diet is also entirely kosher and halal.

PruePhillip

The cow industry in the modern world mistreats dairy cows and keeps them on the path to eventual meat slaughter too. By consuming dairy you are part of the system.

The Vegan Industry believes in growing plants for the expressed purpose
of killing and eating them. No plant wants to be eaten, let alone grown in
cramped paddocks, orchards or greenhouses.
Plants fend off attackers using poison, thorns, hard skin etc.. They can't
run away.
Humans need a certain amount of chemicals and elements to survive, ie
nitrogen, oxygen, carbon, phosphate etc.. Why can't we just get humans
to ingest these as tablets or powder, and save killing living things?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
run away.
My thought is that all animals can only live by eating other living things. I have heard we humans are already growing meat in a vat. It would seem we could grow carbohydrates in a vat too.

whirlingmerc

run away.

no plant wants to be eaten?

I am loathe to disagree, but.... fruit pants are definitely designed to be eaten in order to seed the next generation... additionally some seeds require a bird gizard to soften the shell of the tough seed for it to germinate and live

Being eaten is not always 'a threat' but part of a strategy by a wise designer

so if a plant wanted anything, yes, they could very well want to be eaten.

You are correct, if a tomato plant senses snails in the vicinity even not attacking yet, it will put up a defense and many plants and animals will have dynamic switches in the epi-genome which activate to cause defensive changes in the next generation which also can switch back if the threat no longer there

PruePhillip

no plant wants to be eaten?

I am loathe to disagree, but.... fruit pants are definitely designed to be eaten in order to seed the next generation... additionally some seeds require a bird gizard to soften the shell of the tough seed for it to germinate and live

Being eaten is not always 'a threat' but part of a strategy by a wise designer

so if a plant wanted anything, yes, they could very well want to be eaten.

You are correct, if a tomato plant senses snails in the vicinity even not attacking yet, it will put up a defense and many plants and animals will have dynamic switches in the epi-genome which activate to cause defensive changes in the next generation which also can switch back if the threat no longer there

Yeah, you're right about the fruit. That's why we see orange so well - ripe fruit.
But it's time we had Plant Rights. Over time I have been amazed at the sophistication
of plants, ie recognizing relatives, signalling danger, making basic calculations - even,
in the case of the Mimosa plant, learning to trust humans. So let's stop eating them.

Remté

Yeah, you're right about the fruit. That's why we see orange so well - ripe fruit.
But it's time we had Plant Rights. Over time I have been amazed at the sophistication
of plants, ie recognizing relatives, signalling danger, making basic calculations - even,
in the case of the Mimosa plant, learning to trust humans. So let's stop eating them.
Do you think this applies to all plants? Can we eat the ones it doesnt apply to? If not, we're all going to starve to death.