• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious rules on food - do you follow them?

PruePhillip

Do you think this applies to all plants? Can we eat the ones it doesnt apply to? If not, we're all going to starve to death.

You will have to talk to future activists about this.
Activists and Cause Pushers need an issue -
issues define who they are. Once the meat issue
is over they could move on the plant one.
Their argument could be that we only need the
elements and chemicals to survive, why not
just consume these?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you mean?

I mean, you judging of others based on your personal opinions has grown trite.
Whenever my husband goes grocery shopping, I remind him that when he buys dairy products, he's got to check to make sure they're from "happy cows." :)

That's doesn't often mean much.

Do you presume to speak intelligently on the emotions and thoughts of cows?

Can we voir dire you on your knowledge of dairy practices in the US or abroad?

I grew up working on a US dairy farm. Where lies your expertise in this respect?

Remté

I mean, you juding of others based on your personal opinions has grown trite.

Do you presume to speak intelligently on the emotions and thoughts of cows?

Can we voir dire you on your knowledge of dairy practices in the US or abroad?

I grew up working on a US dairy farm. Where lies your expertise in this respect?
Good for you if it was good.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, but in fairness, you did quote me just before you asked the questions.

You were quoted, yes, but its a rarely used practice here called the threaded quote. You were quoted inside the quote that was responded to. But I can see the confusion I caused.

My apologies.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
You will have to talk to future activists about this.
Activists and Cause Pushers need an issue -
issues define who they are. Once the meat issue
is over they could move on the plant one.
Their argument could be that we only need the
elements and chemicals to survive, why not
just consume these?
I think a part of the Jain community as well as fruitarians in general refuse to kill plants for their food/diet. So they will pick fruits and leaves off plants but they will never uproot a plant causing it to die. Such Jains also wear a filter over their mouth to prevent them from accidentily swallowing insects and they use a brush while walking to prevent them from stepping on insects or spiders.

My Guru once told that in the future people will nourish themselves with pills only and their brains will expand enormously by genetic manipulation. The legs will no longer be used for moving around and the size of the body relative to the head will shrink.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Jesus said it best:
Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man; but that which comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.
These self-or church-imposed dietary laws are just another form of control.
Sit, Ubu. Sit.

So drugs taking is also no problem ... when it goes "in the mouth" ... according to your above definition?
And to vomit will defile a man when stuff comes "out of the mouth".

Many people use your line to indulge in foodstuff that are not healty (it won't defile me)
While dietary advice is generally common sense advice helping to keep good health

Examples: Ramadan Fasting, Ayurvedic diet advice, Genesis diet etc.etc.

I think there is nothing wrong with exercising some "Control" or call it "Restraint"
But I know, in Holland we have a saying "If you touch a man his food, you touch him"
(meaning he gets angry)

PruePhillip

So drugs taking is also no problem ... when it goes "in the mouth" ... according to your above definition?
And to vomit will defile a man when stuff comes "out of the mouth".

Many people use your line to indulge in foodstuff that are not healty (it won't defile me)
While dietary advice is generally common sense advice helping to keep good health

Examples: Ramadan Fasting, Ayurvedic diet advice, Genesis diet etc.etc.

I think there is nothing wrong with exercising some "Control" or call it "Restraint"
But I know, in Holland we have a saying "If you touch a man his food, you touch him"
(meaning he gets angry)

What Jesus meant is that food has no bearing on your spiritual life.

Marcion

What Jesus meant is that food has no bearing on your spiritual life.
That is not my experience though. I don't believe that the historical Yeshua said much on the subject (that was preserved by his disciples, the gospels are mostly christian fiction putting words into Jesus' mouth).
Taking crude or stimulating foods, drinks or other types of drugs has a profound influence on my spiritual life.
It makes it harder for me to ideate spiritually, to meditate and to control my emotions.

Of course sticking to a diet in itself is not something beneficial, only indirect, so through the influence on your mind (your temple). In fact in left-hand Tantra they may deliberately use crude drugs and foods to break through to certain realisations. But that is a very dangerous path if you don't have a qualified personal guru to help you on this left-hand path.

Last edited:

PruePhillip

That is not my experience though. I don't believe that the historical Yeshua said much on the subject (that was preserved by his disciples, the gospels are mostly christian fiction putting words into Jesus' mouth).
Taking crude or stimulating foods, drinks or other types of drugs has a profound influence on my spiritual life.
It makes it harder for me to ideate spiritually, to meditate and to control my emotions.

Of course sticking to a diet in itself is not something beneficial, only indirect so through the influence on your mind (your temple). In fact in left-hand Tantra they may deliberately use crude drugs and foods to break through to certain realisations. But that is a very dangerous path if you don't have a qualified personal guru to help you on this left-hand path.

How do you know that is "Christian fiction"
Where is your evidence for that? Or is this something you chose to believe.
Jesus said to the effect that what enters you mouth and passes through you
doesn't effect your spiritual life. What comes out of your mouth has a serious
effect on your spiritual life.

PruePhillip

And how you define "spiritual life" keeping in mind that food has no bearing on it?

That part of your life which pertains to the spirit, ie grace, love, forgiveness,
compassion, stoicism, love of God, charity, truth, honesty, magnanimity etc..
Refraining from eating fish on Fridays, for instance, has no bearing upon
these things.
In the Old Testament there were prohibitions on eating shell fish,pork, fat etc..
Jesus encountered Jews observing all these restrictions yet doing nothing
about the spiritual issues.

Marcion

How do you know that is "Christian fiction"
Where is your evidence for that? Or is this something you chose to believe.
Jesus said to the effect that what enters you mouth and passes through you
doesn't effect your spiritual life. What comes out of your mouth has a serious
effect on your spiritual life.
Many things influence your spiritual life, also your other behaviour (apart from your food- and drink intake). So it is not a question of this or that, but rather an allround effort to keep your body and mind sentient.

It is not me who has to prove anything, I'm merely agreeing with what theologians (those who are not apologetics) write about the origins of the Christian scriptures. Of course you may prefer to agree with the apologetics. But I'm not a Christian, I prefer real scholarship.

PruePhillip

Many things influence your spiritual life, also your other behaviour (apart from your food- and drink intake). So it is not a question of this or that, but rather an allround effort to keep your body and mind sentient.

It is not me who has to prove anything, I'm merely agreeing with what theologians (those who are not apologetics) write about the origins of the Christian scriptures. Of course you may prefer to agree with the apologetics. But I'm not a Christian, I prefer real scholarship.

"Real scholarship"
People believe in Hannibal because of two accounts. And they seem quite
fantastic - an African General crosses the Alp with elephants and for 12 years
marches up and down Rome and can't be defeated.

Meanwhile, seven people gave accounts of Jesus. Scholars say it's all bogus
simply because the accounts invoke God. That's all - some scholars don't believe
in God, therefor the seven accounts are bogus.

ps Jesus wasn't referring to keeping your body in good shape. He was talking about
ritual diets for religious reasons. Jesus gave no such diet, so thinking you have earned
salvation by having a ritual diet is self righteousness.

Marcion

Meanwhile, seven people gave accounts of Jesus. Scholars say it's all bogus
simply because the accounts invoke God. That's all - some scholars don't believe
in God, therefor the seven accounts are bogus.
Scholars know how those "accounts" took shape and that there were no witnesses of the historical Yeshua involved in writing the main story lines (it is mainly re-writing and adding stuff from the authors' own imaginations).

Whether the theologians believe in God or not has nothing to do with it (and it shouldn't either). I believe in God but I don't believe you can find out much about the historical words of Yeshua through reading the New Testament (except for the Q-lite part).

Jesus may have said something about salvation not coming from showing off or following rules and regulations dogmatically. But he certainly did not say that anything goes. Or he wouldn't have said stuff about ripping your own eye out or cutting off your hand.

You cannot and should not twist a teaching to suit your own weakness or dogma.