• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious rules on food - do you follow them?

Remté

Do you follow the rules on diet according to your religion?

If you like, describe the rules and how you follow them.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
While I'm no longer a strict vegetarian, I do not eat mammals.

This has less to do with religion in particular than it does with my dharma. Health reasons also come into play.

dianaiad

Yep. Mostly.

Mormon here....Word of Wisdom. No coffee, tea, alcohol or tobacco. No 'street drugs.' We do not, however, get weird about it. If a Starbucks iced green tea latte is the only thing that can ease the nausea of a cancer patient, then go get the iced green tea latte. If a doctor prescribes medical marijuana, then go get the weed.

I go along with that. Mind you, I still get to smell coffee (that's a wonderful smell) and I'm glad. Coffee does NOT taste like it smells, and I get the best part.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Not a religious diet but a sentient-yogic diet. No (non-prescribed) drugs (including tobacco), drinks or foods that harm the body or disturb the purity of the mind.
In practice this means no meat (or fowl), fish, eggs, fungi (like in some cheeses or mushrooms), stale or fermented foods, onion-family, red lentils, tea, coffee, cacao, nutmeg, durian fruit, alcohol, etc..
I follow this quite strictly just like most people who avoid taking drugs.

Just for personal health reasons I also avoid taking dairy (as well as for the sake of the animals).

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Yep. Mostly.

Mormon here....Word of Wisdom. No coffee, tea, alcohol or tobacco. No 'street drugs.' We do not, however, get weird about it. If a Starbucks iced green tea latte is the only thing that can ease the nausea of a cancer patient, then go get the iced green tea latte. If a doctor prescribes medical marijuana, then go get the weed.

I go along with that. Mind you, I still get to smell coffee (that's a wonderful smell) and I'm glad. Coffee does NOT taste like it smells, and I get the best part.

How do Mormons deal with those with genetic issues like diabetes where you need sugar at times?

whirlingmerc

I view a Christian view on that as believers today are more like Noah where God gave them all things to eat.
The focus is not on food but the heart

The Christian life is a rhythm of feasting and fasting but not mainly about food but about
faith, hope and love and glorifying God

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Jesus said it best:

Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man; but that which comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.

These self-or church-imposed dietary laws are just another form of control.

Sit, Ubu. Sit.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
True. Wow no sense of comedy I was being somewhat facetious sheesh

I see the facetious intent now that you point it out. Sorry I missed it the first time over. Often such intent is difficult to recognize in text format.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So if I have low blood sugar and I’m not near any glucose you prohibit the intake of sugar to save someone’s life? Wow
What? I said exactly the opposite. I say sugar was NOT prohibited. My husband is a diabetic. He takes insulin injections and consumer sugar when needed. (Apology accepted.)

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I follow Hindu vegetarianism to reduce needless animal suffering and killing. Although today. 'veganism' (eliminating dairy) would be even better.