• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Faith and life beyond this mortal realm

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
What does your faith or worldview have to say about an afterlife? Some world views see death as final whereas others see us having a soul that continues for eternity. How does an afterlife or lack thereof help us live the best we can in this world?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
What does your faith or worldview have to say about an afterlife?
The 13 dimensions are quantum physics, and the afterlife is the under side of our physical reality, what is being called dark matter by science, is the underside to physical matter.

Understanding that there are different levels to consciousness, an anaesthetist will tell us there are different levels between being under, and out, the afterlife is being out of the material plane of existence.

In some religious cultures it is still accepted the Ancestors are watching over us, as the afterlife is literally all around us right now.
How does an afterlife or lack thereof help us live the best we can in this world?
By us understanding the quantum physics we can ascend consciously through them to enlightenment, it resolves many of the religious quandaries into more logical scientific data, etc.

The idea of science ignoring the reality we live within, and then claiming to be scientific, whilst ignoring evidence is where I feel this world is a giant criminal insane asylum, as people really do not think very logically.

Thus also understanding according to the physics, and most of the world's religions, Hell is below us, and the matter around us is corruptible, thus we're literally down near Hell.
[GALLERY=media, 7191][/GALLERY]
In my opinion. :innocent:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That which is corruptible is destroyed. That which is incorruptible never is destroyed. There is debate in Christianity today about what is corruptible and what is incorruptible. It has profoundly different results for how we live today.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Krishna said exactly the same thing:

"nāsato vidyate bhāvo, nābhāvo vidyate sataḥ;
ubhayor api dṛiṣṭo’ntas, tu anayos tattva-darśibhiḥ."
BhagawadGita 2.16

The nonexistent has no endurance and in the eternal there is no change. This is concluded by studying the nature of both by the seers of truth.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What does your faith or worldview have to say about an afterlife? Some world views see death as final whereas others see us having a soul that continues for eternity.
I see no reason whatsoever to believe that we continue to exist as "us" before birth or after death, but lots of reasons to believe we don't.

How does an afterlife or lack thereof help us live the best we can in this world?
I think that believing that life on Earth is a test or prelude for an afterlife causes people to devalue life on Earth. Life stops being a scarce resource to them, which makes it less precious.

I think that the promise of reward, punishment, and meting out of justice in some afterlife to come encourages people to be complacent in the face of injustice.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What does your faith or worldview have to say about an afterlife? Some world views see death as final whereas others see us having a soul that continues for eternity. How does an afterlife or lack thereof help us live the best we can in this world?

The strong belief in the soul's reincarnation helps to be patient, as one figures there is no hurry. There is also less fear. or guilt for sinning and the possibility of a judgement day. It also helps to identify with the divine in you, as this ego and physical body is just a passing thing.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Here is a short video I stumbled upon that I think was done very well.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Live now. Every moment can last forever as long as it is remembered.

leov

To exist among likeminded doing what is only limited by our consciousness and imagination in nonmaterial world.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
For a long time, I've abided by the common notion that there is no death (nor birth) but only transformation. That conviction was put to the test for me this year, and you know what? It's still true. When I sat down for my tradition's day of the dead to mull over the recent death of someone very important to me, it still didn't feel like they were gone. And not in an "I'm in denial" sort of way.

As a general rule, Pagans don't see reality in the same way others do. We operate by a very different set of cultural narratives where "real" covers a great deal more territory than it does for most. We acknowledge the apparent world like everyone must - the world of mundus that covers the bodily senses and corporeal form. But we also acknowledge a myriad of otherworlds, the specifics of which vary from tradition to tradition. At a minimum there is a deep appreciation for the power of narratives and ideas. Story is every bit as real as the chair I am sitting on right now. So too is memory. Memory of the past, or even the imaginings of the future or another world entirely. And the dead? They exist through story and song... through the memories of the past... by imaginings of the now and future. These things are part of what I consider reality. Because of that, the dead are not dead.

True death is when nobody is around to tell your story.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe we have interpenetrating physical, astral and mental bodies while alive, At death our astral and mental bodies permanently separate from our physical body. We retain our identity but without the dense physical body as is often reported in Near Death Experiences.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
there is no after life. the universe is alive eternally

Altfish

Veteran Member
As an atheist, I know that there is no afterlife, this is my one chance, so I must make the most of it, enjoy it, help others and try not to upset others.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The possibility of some kind of existence after physical death doesn't affect my current life. Doesn't change my attitudes about anything. Wouldn't cause me to act any different than I do now.

I suspect mostly what a belief in an afterlife or disbelief does is to allow folks to go about judging others whether they are worthy or not.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I think there are good evolutionary reasons that led human brains to believe there is a life after death, despite its implausibility. And that there is a jury deciding how it will look like.

Ciao

- viole

...How does an afterlife or lack thereof help us live the best we can in this world?

Maybe it doesn’t help, at least not in Biblical point of view. Bible tells eternal life is for righteous and it is something that person can’t be by trying to act righteously only to get eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

ecco

Veteran Member
One is born.
One Lives.
One Dies.

In terms of a guide for living, reality is always superior to fantasy.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
My own thoughts, developed from experience which is what I usually try to go by, tell me that an eternal soul that lives on in some other unknown realm is fairly far fetched. I can't possibly know either way for certain but I don't live my actual life in the here and now considering it other than when discussing it on a forum or with relatives. So no, I don't believe in it and it makes me all the more grateful for this short life we actually do get to experience. No good behavior looking for afterlife rewards, just doing my best to love and live this life to its fullest and help out where I can. Besides, I cannot begin to fathom how long eternity is to have to live that long. Why would anyone want to?