• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Borrowing and then Theft

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's one thing for a religion to borrow concepts from other faiths, that happens all the time; but what about those faiths that take directly from others and what looks like to many, just play a dress up game? I do believe most such people are sincere, but what do religions get out of this? Messianic Jews who are just Christians wearing tallitot wrong and calling Vicars 'Rabbi'. What's the problem with just being whatever your religion is? If there's this need for something else, what does that say about your faith? Again, I have no issue with people taking things that make sense or for rational reasons; I wear long Islamic style dresses for modesty's sake since I find them the most comfortable, and I don't think Muslims are taking an issue with it, but I have no desire to make myself Muslim and start using prayer rugs and whatnot.

It's mostly Christians trying to be Jews, what's up with that?

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It's one thing for a religion to borrow concepts from other faiths, that happens all the time; but what about those faiths that take directly from others and what looks like to many, just a dress up game? I do believe most such people are sincere, but what do religions get out of this? Messianic Jews who are just Christians wearing tallitot wrong and calling Vicars 'Rabbi'. What's the problem with just being whatever your religion is? f there's this need for something else, what does that say about your faith? Again, I have no issue with people taking things that make sense or for rational reasons; I wear long Islamic style dresses for modesty's sake since I find them the most comfortable and I don't think Muslims are taking an issue with it, but I have no desire to make myself Muslim and start using prayer rugs and whatnot.

I believe Judaism did the same thing with Sumerian, Babylonian, Canaanite, Ugarit texts.

I view this in a broader context of the progressive evolution of the religions and belief systems of humanity throughout the history of humanity.

leov

It's one thing for a religion to borrow concepts from other faiths, that happens all the time; but what about those faiths that take directly from others and what looks like to many, just a dress up game? I do believe most such people are sincere, but what do religions get out of this? Messianic Jews who are just Christians wearing tallitot wrong and calling Vicars 'Rabbi'. What's the problem with just being whatever your religion is? f there's this need for something else, what does that say about your faith? Again, I have no issue with people taking things that make sense or for rational reasons; I wear long Islamic style dresses for modesty's sake since I find them the most comfortable and I don't think Muslims are taking an issue with it, but I have no desire to make myself Muslim and start using prayer rugs and whatnot.

Christianity we have now is not spiritual and does not recognize meaning of symbolism , e.g. prayer rug - inner self where I meet G-d. Similar about Jews - not understanding Matthew 5:20.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Christianity we have now is not spiritual and does not recognize meaning of symbolism , e.g. prayer rug - inner self where I meet G-d. Similar about Jews - not understanding Matthew 5:20.
Spirituality is up to the individual. People can find it in all kinds of religions; I think blaming the religion itself is just a way for a person to cop out of not trying hard enough. Christianity seems to have worked fine for millions of people for the past thousands of years.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So why have any faith in your own religion, since it claims Judaism was once true?

As described previously the progressive evolution of religion reflects that ancient religions represent also the human world view of the time the the scripture was written. From my perspective it represents also the progressive Revelation from God within the text.

The problem is BIG that the ancient text of virtually all religions do indeed reflect a progressive evolving text of more ancient religions. The factual objective evidence is that ancient religions represent the narrow tribal cultural perspective of the time they were written, and negates any relevance to a more universal perspective of God, which is the 'Source of all Creation and all of humanity. As it is today these religions remain isolated and in conflict with other religion based on their ancient tribal cultural perspective. This is clear contradiction with the existence of God, and actually supports a human motivated source of religions.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

This is a biased perspective of Christianity is that it is a personal perspective and fails to recognize the reality of Christianity rooted in the Bible.

Christianity as with Judaism is what we have now based on their scripture. and not your individual opinion. In part you based your believe on the organized Christianity that compiled, edited and redacted the scripture that the rest of Christianity.

Last edited:

leov

Spirituality is up to the individual. People can find it in all kinds of religions; I think blaming the religion itself is just a way for a person to cop out of not trying hard enough. Christianity seems to have worked fine for millions of people for the past thousands of years.
Christianity did not work in mass only individuals, mass was burning enlightened individuals...Christian part of the Bible said Consciousness Change through Christ within.

leov

I believe Judaism did the same thing with Sumerian, Babylonian, Canaanite, Ugarit texts.

I view this in a broader context of the progressive evolution of the religions and belief systems of humanity throughout the history of humanity.
Abraham seen G-d as Reality.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's one thing for a religion to borrow concepts from other faiths, that happens all the time; but what about those faiths that take directly from others and what looks like to many, just a dress up game? I do believe most such people are sincere, but what do religions get out of this? Messianic Jews who are just Christians wearing tallitot wrong and calling Vicars 'Rabbi'. What's the problem with just being whatever your religion is? If there's this need for something else, what does that say about your faith? Again, I have no issue with people taking things that make sense or for rational reasons; I wear long Islamic style dresses for modesty's sake since I find them the most comfortable and I don't think Muslims are taking an issue with it, but I have no desire to make myself Muslim and start using prayer rugs and whatnot.

Just trying to fit in culturally, in New York, perhaps? :D

shmogie

It's one thing for a religion to borrow concepts from other faiths, that happens all the time; but what about those faiths that take directly from others and what looks like to many, just a dress up game? I do believe most such people are sincere, but what do religions get out of this? Messianic Jews who are just Christians wearing tallitot wrong and calling Vicars 'Rabbi'. What's the problem with just being whatever your religion is? If there's this need for something else, what does that say about your faith? Again, I have no issue with people taking things that make sense or for rational reasons; I wear long Islamic style dresses for modesty's sake since I find them the most comfortable and I don't think Muslims are taking an issue with it, but I have no desire to make myself Muslim and start using prayer rugs and whatnot.

Are Jews a race, a people, or a religion ? If a people, is Judaism , the religion, by association, part of being a Jew ?

If so, then aren´t Messianic Jews different from Christians ? The Messiah was promised to the Jews. Christ was the Messiah. Then Messianic Jews seems perfectly appropriate.

It Gentiles call themselves Messianic Jews , that is absurd.

Milton Platt

I don't see how you can "borrow" ideas. How do you give them back when you are finished with them?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
According to the text, it is all a set up by the Source to test everyone, to see if they are truly listening...

The Christians are a form of Pharisaic Judaism established by Paul and Simon the stone (petros); Yeshua called Simon the stone, as he was Pharisaic and he knew he would mislead people.

Christians have been told to believe they're Grafted on to the Jews, through Christ, by the Jews.

The problem is the Pharisees were wrong, blatantly, and have made a mess, which is why Islam came along saying they've edited the texts, and messed everyone's head up.

So Christians do steal what isn't theirs fulfilling Zechariah 5, Habakkuk 2, and swearing false oaths, that have no merit in the long run...

Yet it is purposely prophesied to be that way, and it isn't for claiming Yeshua as fulfilment of prophecy; it is them believing his death counts as a free way to get an inheritance into Heaven, via murder, and idolatry.

In my opinion. :innocent:

leov

This is a biased perspective of Christianity is that it is a personal perspective and fails to recognize the reality of Christianity rooted in the Bible.

Christianity as with Judaism is what we have now based on their scripture. and not your individual opinion. In part you based your believe on the organized Christianity that compiled, edited and redacted the scripture that the rest of Christianity.
Read Matt 5. Change of consciousness that required and explained

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Christianity did not work in mass only individuals, mass was burning enlightened individuals...Christian part of the Bible said Consciousness Change through Christ within.

A very naive selective idealistic view of the Christian scripture, that does not reflect the reality of Christianity nor Judaism as a religion

shmogie

According to the text, it is all a set up by the Source to test everyone, to see if they are truly listening...

The Christians are a form of Pharisaic Judaism established by Paul and Simon the stone (petros); Yeshua called Simon the stone, as he was Pharisaic and he knew he would mislead people.

Christians have been told to believe they're Grafted on to the Jews, through Christ, by the Jews.

The problem is the Pharisees were wrong, blatantly, and have made a mess, which is why Islam came along saying they've edited the texts, and messed everyone's head up.

So Christians do steal what isn't theirs fulfilling Zechariah 5, Habakkuk 2, and swearing false oaths, that have no merit in the long run...

Yet it is purposely prophesied to be that way, and it isn't for claiming Yeshua as fulfilment of prophecy; it is them believing his death counts as a free way to get an inheritance into Heaven, via murder, and idolatry.

In my opinion. :innocent:
What a pure and perfect load of stinking codswollop.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Read Matt 5. Change of consciousness that required and explained

Remains selective and personal without the full context of scripture for a personal view. Buddhism, Hinduism. Judaism and Taoism have writings and practices dealing with change of consciousness required and explained far more ancient than Christianity.

Back on the subject @Rival is correct in his description of Christianity used Hebrew scripture selectively to justify the Revelation of Christ, but also not putting this in context of all the religions and belief systems of the world. Tobe relevant, logical and less biased. The religions have to put in the context of the evolving nature of humanity through the millennia.

Considering the reality of the evolution of religions throughout the millennia of all cultures I would not consider it theft, but yes 'borrowing' from older religions, texts, and beliefs that form the foundation of their beliefs, This true of both Judaism and Christianity.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Remains selective and personal without the full context of scripture for a personal view. Buddhism, Hinduism. Judaism and Taoism have writings and practices dealing with change of consciousness required and explained far more ancient than Christianity.

Back on the subject @Rival is correct in his description of Christianity used Hebrew scripture selectively to justify the Revelation of Christ, but also not putting this in context of all the religions and belief systems of the world. Tobe relevant, logical and less biased. The religions have to put in the context of the evolving nature of humanity through the millennia.

Christianity derived from israelite[judaic type of religious belief, that uses some of the texts, that judaism, a religion, uses, these are parallel religions, that share rexts.

Last edited:

leov

"For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." This excludes Judaism but puts it into the base.