• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is not meant to change others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This topic may tickle some people in the wrong way, but i hope for a healthy discussion:)

Religion is not meant to change others, it is meant to change the one who practice the chosen religion. So for those of us who see us self as religious, do we push our belief to strongly at others? Do we not change our self first in the "correct" way before we try to teach others that "our way is the correct way" ?

I know i used to be like that, no matter what religion i was following at the time, my thought was, i see truth better then others.....oh how wrong i was :oops: i did not have a clue about any truth.
Do i see the truth today? Ehhhh no i dont. I see a tiny speck of it, i think.

So the question really become. Why do we humans believe we know " THE TRUTH" as soon as we start a journey within a religion?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This topic may tickle some people in the wrong way, but i hope for a healthy discussion:)

Religion is not meant to change others, it is meant to change the one who practice the chosen religion. So for those of us who see us self as religious, do we push our belief to strongly at others? Do we not change our self first in the "correct" way before we try to teach others that "our way is the correct way" ?

I know i used to be like that, no matter what religion i was following at the time, my thought was, i see truth better then others.....oh how wrong i was :oops: i did not have a clue about any truth.

So the question really become. Why do we humans believe we know " THE TRUTH" as soon as we start a journey within a religion?

I put this up awhile back that I think you'd be interested in Spiritual Awakening Signs: 10 Authentic Symptoms + 5 Spiritual Traps
It's a long read but I think you'd be interested given your spiritual awakening.

Spiritual ego checklist
Signs of the Spiritual Ego - Nouk Sanchez | Take Me to Truth

I'm not sure why people say they know the TRUTH type of thing. Truth is so subjective even if it appears in one's dictionary of life terms at all. I guess I'm going through my own spiritual awakening; and, I find people go through it at different times. Though, sometimes when people do, they tend to still have the ego thing. It takes years to shred.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
To me, @Amanaki, one's religion should make him a better person, help him make sense of the trials we experience in this world, and give him a sense of hope for a future life. It should also help him to be able to relate to humanity as a whole in a way that is for the good of all of us. If it does that, it's succeeding. I personally do believe in an absolute truth, but I don't believe we as human beings are capable of finding it in this lifetime. We can only find, "tiny specks" of the truth, as you say, and what is true for me may not be true for someone else. It's not our place to speak of our beliefs as if they were facts. They aren't. They're just beliefs.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

I think it's less about trying to change others and more about showing off one's shiny new toy.

People tend to find something that brings them pleasure, enjoyment, or fulfillment and are eager to share it with others and tend to assume others will find the same satisfaction in having what they've found.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I put this up awhile back that I think you'd be interested in Spiritual Awakening Signs: 10 Authentic Symptoms + 5 Spiritual Traps
It's a long read but I think you'd be interested given your spiritual awakening.

Spiritual ego checklist
Signs of the Spiritual Ego - Nouk Sanchez | Take Me to Truth

I'm not sure why people say they know the TRUTH type of thing. Truth is so subjective even if it appears in one's dictionary of life terms at all. I guess I'm going through my own spiritual awakening; and, I find people go through it at different times. Though, sometimes when people do, they tend to still have the ego thing. It takes years to shred.
I will look at the links you provided:)
And yes i agree with your answer

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You religious people believe you know THE TRUTH, we dharmic people try to become THE TRUTH.
Actually i have to agree with you in a way :)
I was of the Dharmic people (Buddhism) for more then 20 years, but i never come close to becoming the truth :) i saw a tiny speck of it yes, but i was never near Enlightenment that Buddha speak about.
Will i become any more close to the truth in Islam? That is an answer that is yet to be answered.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I'm not sure where you are getting this from as a Catholic, our church teaches both self reflection and teaching others. It actually emphasis more on the teaching of others.

In my opinion
As to truth for the most part I don't believe most believe they know the truth which is why discussing religion is problematic. Most people believe in their religion based on the religious teaching and faith in said teachings. Belief is a far more emotional thing and far harder to except being wrong. Most people don't even try to find the truth because it is to much work.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm not sure where you are getting this from as a Catholic, our church teaches both self reflection and teaching others. It actually emphasis more on the teaching of others.

In my opinion
As to truth for the most part I don't believe most believe they know the truth which is why discussing religion is problematic. Most people believe in their religion based on the religious teaching and faith in said teachings. Belief is a far more emotional thing and far harder to except being wrong. Most people don't even try to find the truth because it is to much work.
To teach within the religion we belong to is in my understanding a better way to do it, then to tell people from other religions that they are wrong but I know the truth so they must listen to me.
For me as a new muslim i have a billion things to learn in Islam and i see value in other muslims telling me how different aspects of the teaching could be understood. But i would not tell as an example a Christian or Hindu how they should or should not understand their religion or that they are wrong, and must listen to me.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
If we look closely, I think people in general have problems with 'keeping their eyes on their own paper', so to speak, in all aspects of life. We tend to bombard each other not only with our religions, but other opinions/life preferences. Of course, there are those who "my religion is the best, and I think it can do ____ for you, too, if only you'll believe like me", but we also "you'd feel so much better if you'd introduce cabbage into your diet" and "you'll be so much more comfortable in society if you'll just cut your hair this way" and "wouldn't you be so much happier in this newer car?" "Religious studies? Why would you major in that? Be a nurse, it makes more money." We micromanage everything. We all seem to know what's best for everybody else... Maybe its a way to deflect from our own lack of answers? Or at least to hide the fact that 'our paper' is more empty than we'd like it to be.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Actually i have to agree with you in a way :)
I was of the Dharmic people (Buddhism) for more then 20 years, but i never come close to becoming the truth :) i saw a tiny speck of it yes, but i was never near Enlightenment that Buddha speak about.
Will i become any more close to the truth in Islam? That is an answer that is yet to be answered.
My guru said that Sufism comes closest to the path he taught. So I don't see why a practitioner of Sufi Islam would not be following dharma.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My guru said that Sufism comes closest to the path he taught. So I don't see why a practitioner of Sufi Islam would not be following dharma.
Technically isn't we all follow a form of dharma? If we look at the word dharma it means truth or reality. So religions teach their understanding of reality or truth, isnt it?
But in abrahamic religions the word dharma is not seen, but truth or true existence is seen.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If there is a truth it is universal; meaning it applies to everybody regardless of beliefs, opinions, convictions, and making judgments along those lines.

Not only is truth universal it would be all inclusive. I believe the truth to be a matter of heart, as held up to virtues.

If we have to live forever then the best quality of life is in the virtues. If we become the heart of virtues then we become the truth.

I don't look to convert anybody. But it is interesting to see if others have similar understandings.

I think the first thing you think of when considering self and other is, is this person trustworthy! Therein lies the truth.

Humans have the capacity to consider their ways, and self create.

I think truth goes far beyond religion. Changing others is a futile exercise. Everyone is so unique. Yet why do so many scriptures insist on spreading a transformational message to follow a particular way? I think pressure to conform causes many divisions. People have too dynamic of potential to have to conform to particular ways.

Good religion is definitely a matter of self practice. We share our truth to find commonality with others, and not to convert them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If there is a truth it is universal; meaning it applies to everybody regardless of beliefs, opinions, convictions, and making judgments along those lines.

Not only is truth universal it would be all inclusive. I believe the truth to be a matter of heart, as held up to virtues.

If we have to live forever then the best quality of life is in the virtues. If we become the heart of virtues then we become the truth.

I don't look to convert anybody. But it is interesting to see if others have similar understandings.

I think the first thing you think of when considering self and other is, is this person trustworthy! Therein lies the truth.

Humans have the capacity to consider their ways, and self create.

I think truth goes far beyond religion. Changing others is a futile exercise. Everyone is so unique. Yet why do so many scriptures insist on spreading a transformational message to follow a particular way? I think pressure to conform causes many divisions. People have too dynamic of potential to have to conform to particular ways.

Good religion is definitely a matter of self practice. We share our truth to find commonality with others, and not to convert them.
I honestly like your reply @osgart
To share our wisdom or understanding can give frutation for others spiritually, but to force our own religious belief upon others can or probably will give more harm then good.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I honestly like your reply @osgart
To share our wisdom or understanding can give frutation for others spiritually, but to force our own religious belief upon others can or probably will give more harm then good.

I think anything that is forced runs contrary to what is true! Giving conditionals to be acceptable is not an open road to me.

I look at where I come from since I was born til now. I think anything we learn that is true takes work and effort, and experience to grasp. To me everything is gained just that way. I make no expectations of people to understand.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Read my profile signature which decribes the basic conditions in all religions. We are all ONE and we all are made by the same divines forces, i.e. we all have the same god(s) and godess(es) what ever we call these.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why look for truth?

You live the truth all the time. What more does one require?
Finding the answers to religious practice is to me the most important thing to do in my life, all the "extra" like job, friends, house, cars are not as important as the scripture study, and trying to live by it every moment of my life.