• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion Going Off the Rails

Wandering Monk

If these people had their way....what? Free but dead, and taking scores of thousands with them due to denial about Covid?

upload_2020-4-19_12-29-58.png

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's a tiny minority who are getting a lot more attention than warranted. The only reason we're hearing so much about them is that the media loves sensationalism and this riles up a lot of people.

The vast majority of religious people care about their neighbors and are doing what's right.

izzy88

If these people had their way....what? Free but dead, and taking scores of thousands with them due to denial about Covid?

View attachment 39113

It's easy to point to a few crazies and say "Look at them! They're like that because they're in group X" and then arbitrarily reference whatever group you want to making irrational sweeping generalizations about. But do you know what all the crazies have in common, no matter what subgroup you want to arbitrarily place them in? They're human beings. And the fact that there are crazies in every subgroup points to the fact that it's not the subgroup that makes them crazy - it's the fact that they're human beings.

Wandering Monk

It's easy to point to a few crazies and say "Look at them! They're like that because they're in group X" and then arbitrarily reference whatever group you want to making irrational sweeping generalizations about. But do you know what all the crazies have in common, no matter what subgroup you want to arbitrarily place them in? They're human beings. And the fact that there are crazies in every subgroup points to the fact that it's not the subgroup that makes them crazy - it's the fact that they're human beings.

If they themselves spread the virus by ignoring health warnings, or by their lies encourage others to ignore health warnings, then they are DANGEROUS crazy human beings.

izzy88

If they themselves spread the virus by ignoring health warnings, or by their lies encourage others to ignore health warnings, then they are DANGEROUS crazy human beings.
Yes, they are crazy human beings, and if you weren't intending to imply anything else about why they're crazy, for what purpose did you attach a screenshot of the banner with evangelical Christian nonsense on it? That was simply one brief shot in the video, and yet it's clear you were intending to draw attention to that shot, specifically. Being that we're on a religion forum, I don't think it was unreasonable of me to conclude that you were, in fact, making a statement about their religion.

Wandering Monk

That isn't a point; it's simply stating something that nobody has ever disputed.

"Water is wet."

Yeah, we're aware.

Do you have anything further to say about it, or is that all?

I had hoped that it would generate a discussion about religious freedom. Is it absolute? Should it be?

izzy88

I had hoped that it would generate a discussion about religious freedom. Is it absolute?
Well you really could have made it much more clear that that's what you wanted to discuss.

What do you mean by "absolute"? That the religious are exempt from all laws?

If so, I think virtually everyone will agree that it's not absolute.

If not, you'll have to clarify what exactly you do mean by "absolute".

Wandering Monk

Well you really could have made it much more clear that that's what you wanted to discuss.

What do you mean by "absolute"? That the religious are exempt from all laws?

If so, I think virtually everyone will agree that it's not absolute.

If not, you'll have to clarify what exactly you do mean by "absolute".

I agree that it is not absolute. What should the limits be? Apparently these people seem to think that endangering lives is OK if you are a fundamentalist Christian. I mean, we charge people when they are reckless drivers, even if they are in this group. They have been told of the dangers of transmission of Covid, yet they deny it, and even worse, defy public health warnings about large gatherings. This is reckless.

izzy88

Apparently these people seem to think that endangering lives is OK if you are a fundamentalist Christian.

What are you referring to that they're doing to endanger lives? Protesting? Or something else? At some point in the video do they appeal to their religion to try to argue that they should be exempt from state lockdowns? (I admittedly didn't watch the whole 18 minutes)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That's a tiny minority who are getting a lot more attention than warranted. The only reason we're hearing so much about them is that the media loves sensationalism and this riles up a lot of people.

The vast majority of religious people care about their neighbors and are doing what's right.

Yes, this may be the extreme, but the wide spread skepticism, ridicule, and resistance to the reality of COVAG-19 pandemic is witness as far more than just getting a lot of attention. It represents the tip of the iceberg of the anti-science agenda of the right wing evangelical movement in america that represents a dangerous up to 40-45% of America.

Milton Platt

Yes, this may be the extreme, but the wide spread skepticism, ridicule, and resistance to the reality of COVAG-19 pandemic is witness as far more than just getting a lot of attention. It represents the tip of the iceberg of the anti-science agenda of the right wing evangelical movement in america that represents a dangerous up to 40-45% of America.

If only there was a vaccine against stupidity......

gnostic

The Lost One
Yes, they are crazy human beings, and if you weren't intending to imply anything else about why they're crazy, for what purpose did you attach a screenshot of the banner with evangelical Christian nonsense on it?
Didn’t read part of the banner that say the “Mark of the Beast”?

Isn’t that from Revelation? You are Catholic, aren’t you?

Revelation is a Christian book, and only Christians would believe in Revelation. Doomsayers (at least the Christian ones) would often quote from Revelation.

Of course, the actual believers of Revelation, are minority groups among larger Christian sects...and crazy as kooks.

No Jews or Muslims would believe in Revelation.

Cooky

Veteran Member

So true.