• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion - A Cultural Competition

Syphros

Errmm... You what now?
A question I have asked myself for a long time is: Why are there so many religions?

Surely if there was only one God, it would manifest itself in one person.

Gautama Buddha claimed to have found enlightenment by abandoning materialism.

Moses claimed that there was one God and brought his

Jesus of Nazareth claimed to be the only Son of God.

Muhammad ibn ‘Abdullāh claimed to be the most holy and divine prophet.

How can these religions expect to compete. Are they merely cults of personality? Are they merely people who wanted power?

How do other religions view these other founders?

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

A question I have asked myself for a long time is: Why are there so many religions?

How can these religions expect to compete?

We Baha'is see them not as in competition, but as all being legitimate and God-sent!

God periodically sends a new Divine Messenger to guide humanity and get religion "back on the rails," typically every 500 - 1,000 years! And all these individuals you name (and more) are indeed IOV legitimate parts of a single ever-evolving faith, the Faith of God!

So it isn't that "only one" Messenger is expected, but that each builds on and futhers the Divine Message taught by the previous ones!

It's what we Baha'is call "Progressive Revelation."

(If you're interested, you can see more about this at: www.bahai.org and www.bahahi.us )

Best! :)

Bruce

Alla Prima

Seems to me there's a common thread to all religions and that is they all want people to be happy.

Now the methods for accomplishing this goal are quite varied. Many differing methods for many different people. Some are more helpful than others.

Andal

resident hypnotist
I don't see it as a competition. All of us are unique and therefore one path wouldn't be suitable for every single one of us. Even if God showed up in one form and made his identity indisputable, there would still be people who didn't feel a connection to him/her. There for the divine manifests in countless ways so that we may interact with it in the way that makes the most sense to us.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

How can these religions expect to compete. Are they merely cults of personality? Are they merely people who wanted power?

I agree with you. There is one God, and yet many religions. It is my belief that each religion contains something unique. I believe that, although they may not be exactly correct in Theology, each religion has something to offer the world and the service of God.

J Bryson

Why? If anything, it seems to me that it would make more sense to send a multitude of messengers and prophets in order to effectively spread the word to a wondrous diversity of cultures.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There are so many religions for the same reason that there are so many languages: both are features or expressions of a particular culture or family of cultures.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
There are so many religions for the same reason that there are so many languages: both are features or expressions of a particular culture or family of cultures.
This sums it up nicely, and I think it's useful to relate the two: Religions are themselves a form of language attempting to describe the ineffable.

Syphros

Errmm... You what now?
We Baha'is see them not as in competition, but as all being legitimate and God-sent!

While your religion is a fascinating, I tend to believe along the lines of humans can't define God. God is the unknown and it is not our purpose to know. Some religions have done awful things so I have lost faith in many namely Iran's treatment of it's citizens and things like the Crusades.

Why? If anything, it seems to me that it would make more sense to send a multitude of messengers and prophets in order to effectively spread the word to a wondrous diversity of cultures.

Then why do religions "spread the faith"? There is no need because the messengers are all sent by the same God. Last I checked if you didn't believe in Prophet Mohammad you went to Muslim hell.

Or if you worship a false prophet (Jesus and Mohammad) apparently, you go to Jewish hell (at least that's only for 6 months :p).

These inconsistences must then be down to the human (and therefore sinful?) leadership in these communities and religions today.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
But this idea fails when it comes to many Polytheistic religions that have many god and believe them to be there own being each, and for which there are no messenger, like Jesus or what not.
Trying to tie all religions together be a common theme such has having a messenger doesn't work.

Syphros

Errmm... You what now?
Polytheism! Shoot! I forgot about them.

Trying to tie all religions together be a common theme such has having a messenger doesn't work.

Yes it does... Each God has his own messenger perhaps. In the Old Testament (and the Torah?) G-d himself said he is a jealous god and that the Hebrews should worship only him.

The possibilities of other Gods is limitless. I can imagine Zeus and Posidon living in a council house!

I still think the Baha'i is an interesting religion.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Polytheism! Shoot! I forgot about them.
Don't worry, I lot of people do.

Yes it does... Each God has his own messenger perhaps.
Well in a way most gods so have a messenger, but not in the way I thought you where talking about.
Inrai(Japanese Kami of fertility, rice, agriculture, foxes, industry, and worldly success) has Fox messengers. Offerings of rice, sake, and other food are given at the shrine to appease and please these kitsune messengers, who are then expected to plead with Inari on the worshipper's behalf.
But look at me I'm get off topic. What I'm getting at is the idea of a messenger isn't one of the peace and love to the world like you see in ones like Buddha or Jesus.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

Originally Posted by BruceDLimber

While your religion is a fascinating, I tend to believe along the lines of humans can't define God. God is the unknown and it is not our purpose to know.

Precisely what the Baha'i Faith teaches! :)

Indeed, our common term for God is the Unknowable Essence.

Some religions have done awful things, so I have lost faith in many....

Please note that it's not the religions that have done this, but HUMAN CORRUPTIONS of religions! The religions themeselves, as originally revealed, are pure, pristine, and beneficial to humanity.

It's when humans meddle with them and pervert them that these problems arise.

Peace, :)

Bruce

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

While you're fully welcome to your opinion, this will come as quite a surprise to the millions of Baha'is in the world, all of whom recognize every great religion as legitimate and part of the same ongoing and evolving faith, the Faith of God!

As the Baha'i scriptures put it,

"There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection of His Will and Purpose. Arise and, armed with the power of faith, shatter to pieces the gods of your vain imaginings, the sowers of dissension amongst you. Cleave unto that which draweth you together and uniteth you."

—(The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. 114;
also Gleanings, CXI, pp. 217-8)

And we find this "works" wonderfully, thankyouverymuch! :)

Further, the emphases in the Baha'i Faith are on unity, love, peace, and concord, as well as the prohibition of hostility, warmongering, and backbiting.

So we cordially invite you to look into this and try it; you just might like it! :)

Peace,

Bruce

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Greetings!While you're fully welcome to your opinion, this will come as quite a surprise to the millions of Baha'is in the world, all of whom recognize every great religion as legitimate and part of the same ongoing and evolving faith, the Faith of God!

Okay, but what religions do you consider the "Great Religions of the World"? I know that other then the 3 Arabic religions that come before yours you count Hinduism and Buddhism, but what about Asatru(Norse religion), the Ancient Egyptian religion, Shinto, how about the other "Polytheist" religion. Thing is though they are different and don't really fit in with the way the "Great religions" see things.

BruceDLimber

Greetings redux! :)

Okay, but what religions do you consider the "Great Religions of the World"? I know that other then the 3 Arabic religions that come before yours you count Hinduism and Buddhism, but what about Asatru(Norse religion), the Ancient Egyptian religion, Shinto, how about the other "Polytheist" religion. Thing is though they are different and don't really fit in with the way the "Great religions" see things.

The great religions include Sabaeanism, Hinduism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, and the Baha'i Faith, among others! There are also some that were part of this but are now extinct.

We generally see polytheism as man-made. And IOV Shinto & Confucianism are secular philosophies rather than religions.

Even the polytheistic religions may in fact have originated as monotheist but undergone changes later; Buddhism is an example of this (albeit in a different direction).

Nor do I know of "three Arabic religions" that came before the Baha'i Faith, BTW. Perhaps you do, but I know of only one. Care to mention what they are?

Peace, :)

Bruce

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Please note that it's not the religions that have done this, but HUMAN CORRUPTIONS of religions! The religions themeselves, as originally revealed, are pure, pristine, and beneficial to humanity.

It's when humans meddle with them and pervert them that these problems arise
I disagree. IMO, religions are human endeavors. A "religion" that has no adherents is not a religion. If God has some way that He wants humanity to worship Him but nobody's doing it, then it's not a religion.

However, I think that the essence of a religion is a community or a group. As such, it's in a large part the community or group that defines the religion. In that regard, individual members of a religious community might have beliefs or opinions that differ from the consensus of the group, and religious belief and practice can change over time. In that regard, I think that heterodoxy can arise, though I would hesitate to label this as "corruption", given the value judgements inherent in that word.