• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

rebels enter Tripoli

kai

ragamuffin
So the entire goal of U.S foreign policy concerning Libya was dependent on Operation Odyssey Dawn. Face it you're clutching at straws, U.S involvement isn't close to done it has been increasing in fact.

you puzzle me at times Bismillah? would you rather the west left Libya to its own devices? You don't seem at all happy that the Tyrant is losing this battle?

Bismillah

Submit
Well there is only one ship and couple of airplanes and drones near libya.
By just sending 1 ship the forces would gain 20%. So its not that surprising that it "rises".

Face it, Libya is basically a french and british business. No shame in that.
Source?

New York Times said:
despite NATO’s decision to take command of the air war in Libya, the alliance is running out of bombs after just 11 weeks, he said. The operation would fall apart without a continued large infusion of American support, Mr. Gates added, since other NATO nations have not invested in the weapons required to carry out lengthy combat operations.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/11/world/europe/11gates.html
Christian Science Monitor said:
Fifteen years ago, the US footed 50 percent of NATO costs; last year the figure was 75 percent, and European spending on defense is going down. Of the 28 NATO nations signed on to Libya, only eight participated in operations, though partly this was due to a gap in the equipment and capability of members.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2011/0824/Could-NATO-s-Libya-mission-be-its-last-hurrah
Foreign Policy said:
To be sure, French planes were the first to bomb targets around Benghazi, even before the U.S. cruise missile strikes on air defense sites. But the reality is that the French and British, who are supposed to bear the brunt of the action, do not have the "force projection" capabilities of the United States.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/03/22/de_gaulle_he_aint?page=full
CNN said:
New numbers released by the Pentagon on Monday show that the number of U.S. air attacks on Libyan air defenses, ground forces and other targets has nearly doubled over the past 12 days, compared with air attacks in the first 132 days of the NATO mission.

The cost to the U.S. taxpayers for America's share of the Libyan mission, known as Operation Unified Protector, is approaching $1 billion.

As of July 31, the Pentagon had spent about $896 million. The U.S. had also sold its allies and partners in Operation Unified Protectors more than $220 million worth of ammunition, spare parts and fuel.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/22/us.libya.costs/

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Qadaffi will be back, he's still got billions. He's just doing what the Soviets did, getting the enemy into a trap for a counter attack.

sadiq

Spain, Morocco, Jerusalem
The west should not intervene.
Also Qadaffi will never be able to return and i do not know which soviet master plan you are referring to.

Shermana

Heretic
The west should not intervene.
Also Qadaffi will never be able to return and i do not know which soviet master plan you are referring to.

Initially, US intelligence said that "Qadaffi will win in the end", it's not the end yet. The Soviets retreated and pulled their resources into Siberia The Germans held onto Russian territory for about 3 years before the Soviets had the Germans in full retreat. In this case, Qadaffi's Siberia is Algeria, and will let the Rebels get comfortable and off-guard. It could be next year when this happens, but there are plenty of powerful people who want the rebels defeated and their puppet leading. He admits that he's just "The Queen of England" of Libya.

Beleaguered Gaddafi: I'm just like the Queen of England - World news, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Major Counterattacks can take months if not years to get ready for, but they can smash an unprepared enemy if executed right.

Prison Planet.com » Toppling Tripoli: ‘Gaddafi plans massive counter-attack’

When there's tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars and barrels of oil involved, things can happen. It may take months but I agree with the Intelligence Chief on this one.

Libya: 'Gaddafi will win in the end' says US intelligence chief embarrassing Obama | Mail Online

gnomon

A convoy of Libyan rebels has rolled into central Tripoli past celebrating crowds after a day of heavy fighting in and around the capital.

BBC News - Scenes of joy as Libya rebels enter central Tripoli

I'm interested in the reports coming out of black immigrants in Libya and black Libyans facing violence from the rebels. There are only a small number of reports on their condition but given that there were claims of sub-Saharan black Africans employed as mercenaries as well as the fact that there are black Libyans in the areas recently taken by the rebels I wonder if we will see an escalation of ethnic violence at this point.

Bismillah

Submit
kai said:
you puzzle me at times Bismillah? would you rather the west left Libya to its own devices? You don't seem at all happy that the Tyrant is losing this battle?
No, I wouldn't seeing as the interests of the West coincide with humanitarian concerns in this particular scenario. I was just pointing out that the assertion that the U.S was "finished" in Libya was and is and will be clearly wrong.

Marble

Rolling Marble
Just a quick question: What about that famous female guard?
Just curious what happened to them...

kaddafi1.jpg

Gaddafi-with-a-female-gua-006.jpg

gaddafi-female-bodyguards-culture-schlock-1.jpg

Marble

Rolling Marble
Thanks for the link.
Some 20 years ago I made an English course and we had amongst us a woman from Lybia.
She was very much in favour of Gaddafi, claiming that he had opened for Lybian women a sphere outside the family.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well, it looks like the Libyan lovefest is kicking into high gear now. Still, we don't really know the leaders of the "revolution" but, hey, what could possibly go wrong? Just look at how delightful things are turning in Cairo now that we are into the Arab Summer. Looks like things are getting a bit hot for Israel.

gnomon

So let's get this straight, Obama is bombing the guy who hired hundreds of thousands of Black-Africans, and helping those who are rounding them up into camps.

I think it's a combination of the fact that there were some sub-Saharan Africans who served as mercenaries plus the issue of flat out ethnic friction leading to a situation of if they are black, round them up and sort them out later.

I've read some statements that talk about mass killings but most of the well known sources (NYT, Al-Jazeera, etc) mention groups being detained and there have been random killings.

The NTC needs to get itself together and form this better government so that it doesn't appear one bad guy was simply swapped out for another.