• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

rebels enter Tripoli

Alceste

Vagabond
It's almost always impossible to predict beforehand and just as pointless. But I would bet that with the KSA's intrest in Bahrain there will be some reconciliation so as to distribute some royal land and some propositions aimed at job creation for the lower class (read Shia majority). I don't think anything will come out of Syria's revolution to be honest, this type of thing has been crushed brutally in the past on the same level with Iran.

Well, I can always hope. :)

tend to think the uprisings will continue and can be successful even without western support once a critical mass of protesters is reached. NATO didn't help much with Egypt or Tunisia.

Flankerl

Whether or not that is true, it is an irrelevent detail. The main point of my argument remains "Nothing is for "free", this is a fight over access to a strategic resource."

Its not an irrelevant detail.
The USA operation(Operation Odyssey Dawn) did end after 12 days. After which only one US warship remained there.

Yet this seems to be part of the big american plan to subdue another muslim country. As always.

I have to say the rebels have done quite well out of this.

The western could have ignored the rebels plight and risked disaproval of their citizens by contuing to deal with Gadaffi who would have properly defeated the rebels by now. By condeming Cadaffi and providing the rebels with military assistance they have pretty much burned their bridges with Cadaffi and had to ensure that the rebels won in order to retain access to Libya's oil.

Once Tripoli is secured and the rebels no longer need western military assistance the west really doesn't have any leverage over the rebels. Even if they were to band together and threaten to an embargo agianst libya's oil unless the deal on favourable terms there are other countries such as China who'd quite happily act as an alternative market.

All the west can do is hope that whatever government comes out of this is friendly towards the west.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yet this seems to be part of the big american plan to subdue another muslim country. As always.

You have to admit, it's convenient to have one Great Satan to blame for everything. In today's world, who has time to figure out the specifics of every occurrence in the world?

Bismillah

Submit
Its not an irrelevant detail.
Yes, yes it is. My argument has been centered on
"Nothing is for "free", this is a fight over access to a strategic resource."
I say whether or not it is true because American intervention in Libya is far from done now or in the future
U.S. has nearly doubled air attacks on Libya in past 12 days
U.S. has nearly doubled air attacks on Libya in past 12 days - CNN.com
The official also confirmed that intelligence personnel from the U.S. and other countries have been in Libya in recent weeks to help maintain security at various sites, although he could not confirm Western personnel are currently at those locations. "Individual nations have folks on the ground," he said.
U.S., NATO concerned about Libya's stockpile of weapons - CNN.com
Several congressional Republicans are hailing the U.S. military involvement in Libya and are calling for the U.S. to increase its involvement in the country if Moammar Gaddafi’s regime falls.
Some Republicans calling for U.S. to step up role in Libya after Gaddafi falls - 2chambers - The Washington Post

Then again you are again and again sidetracking the conversation with this irrelevant, and wrong, detail.
No, every country that was in Libya was there for its own interests pure and simple. I'm not a big enough of an idiot to think that any country gives a damn about humanitarian crises.

Flankerl

"Nothing is for "free", this is a fight over access to a strategic resource."

Let me guess, if NATO wouldnt have done anything you would have claimed that they want to secure their access by not supporting the rebels.

U.S. has nearly doubled air attacks on Libya in past 12 days - CNN.com

And yet the US Navy is nowhere to be seen.
So the US like all NATO members supported the rush for Tripolis. Evil.

U.S., NATO concerned about Libya's stockpile of weapons - CNN.com

Oh no they are concerned about chemical weapons! Invasion imminent.

Some Republicans calling for U.S. to step up role in Libya after Gaddafi falls - 2chambers - The Washington Post

They've been calling for it ever since the US basically withdrew from the conflict. Even though before they were in favour of withdrawing from the conflict.

Get it? Its the usual democrats vs republicans USA flame war.

Bismillah

Submit
Let me guess, if NATO wouldnt have done anything you would have claimed that they want to secure their access by not supporting the rebels.
I don't know what you are trying to say here. If NATO hadn't intervened I would have said it was because it wasn't in their own self-interest. They did intervene and it was for their own gain not for a humanitarian crises they couldn't care less about.

So the US like all NATO members supported the rush for Tripolis. Evil.
Can you read? I never made a statement criticizing the intervention in Libya nor did I confine American intervention to "just the Navy". You said the
You do realise that the US mission ended almost 5 months ago right?
********. America is more involved in Libya now then ever. Air attacks have increased, the CIA is deployed within the country, there is the "tracking and handling of chemical weapons", and some politicians are in favor of a greater U.S role in Libya. America is still in Libya whether you want to move the goal posts around or not.

Flankerl

I don't know what you are trying to say here. If NATO hadn't intervened I would have said it was because it wasn't in their own self-interest.

Thanks for proving my point.

NATO helps: They only think of themselves!!!
NATO doesnt help: They only think of themselves!!!

You can do what you want, at the end of the day you are still the bad guy.

Can you read? I never made a statement criticizing the intervention in Libya nor did I confine American intervention to "just the Navy". You said the ********. America is more involved in Libya now then ever. Air attacks have increased, the CIA is deployed within the country, there is the "tracking and handling of chemical weapons", and some politicians are in favor of a greater U.S role in Libya. America is still in Libya whether you want to move the goal posts around or not.

Ahem i wrote that the US mission did end. Which it did. After that only one frigate, some drones and some aircrafts remained. Which wasnt much when we look at what the other countries sent.

Which is why the republicans argued that the democrats are weak for allowing France to be in the main role.

Bismillah

Submit
Countries exist to serve themselves, I'm not idiotic to believe they exist to protect other countries.

Ahem i wrote that the US mission did end.
What mission? Why so vague? The mission for hearts and minds because they are still attacking Ghaddafi forces. You contradict yourself one sentence later.
After that only one frigate, some drones and some aircrafts remained. Which wasnt much when we look at what the other countries sent.
???
the US mission did end
one frigate, some drones and some aircrafts remained.
???

Flankerl

Countries exist to serve themselves, I'm not idiotic to believe they exist to protect other countries.

What mission? Why so vague? The mission for hearts and minds because they are still attacking Ghaddafi forces. You contradict yourself one sentence later. ??????

Thank god that i dont contradict myself.

The US mission did end. Why? Because the US had an own mission/operation or whatever you may want to call it which did end after 12 days. After which only a handfull of US forces remained.

Please read up on Operation Odyssey Dawn and Operation Unified Protector. Otherwise we are going in circles.

Bismillah

Submit
Of course the mission ended...with the sole proviso that the U.S is still deployed and active in the region. What planet do you live on?

mission-accomplished.png
imgres
imgres

Flankerl

Of course the mission ended...with the sole proviso that the U.S is still deployed and active in the region. What planet do you live on?

You dont see a difference in the involvement during the US operation odyssey dawn and after it?

Bismillah

Submit
So the entire goal of U.S foreign policy concerning Libya was dependent on Operation Odyssey Dawn. Face it you're clutching at straws, U.S involvement isn't close to done it has been increasing in fact.

Flankerl

Well there is only one ship and couple of airplanes and drones near libya.
By just sending 1 ship the forces would gain 20%. So its not that surprising that it "rises".

Face it, Libya is basically a french and british business. No shame in that.