• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

rebels enter Tripoli

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It will be interesting to see what happens now...
I'm sure it will be Peace, Love and Beards...

I am curious though how Libyan's will react to the help from Nato in freeing them of the ruler whom Nato (in part) helped to keep in power for decades...
Personally, I wouldn't be expecting any Christmas cards.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

I ran outta Jack in Tripoli
But those freedom fighters they were good to me
Asked me all about Tennessee
And one thing we all did agree

It's the same in any language - wherever you go

Flankerl

You'd have to be blind to not see the political maneuvering behind this. Nothing is for "free", this is a fight over access to a strategic resource.

Contrary to Libya under Gaddafi where the west couldnt get the oil.

Oh wait. :rolleyes:

Bismillah

Submit
Contrary to Libya under Gaddafi where the west couldnt get the oil.
I wonder how many more lucrative contracts have sprouted from the Interim government since the onset of the rebellion. I suppose you have bothered to look, but by all means continue to think that U.S foreign policy is a humanitarian mission!

Bismillah

Submit
Whether or not that is true, it is an irrelevent detail. The main point of my argument remains "Nothing is for "free", this is a fight over access to a strategic resource."

Alceste

Vagabond
Whether or not that is true, it is an irrelevent detail. The main point of my argument remains "Nothing is for "free", this is a fight over access to a strategic resource."

The Libyan revolution is part of the Arab spring - the same movement that shifted dictators in Egypt and Tunisia and is chipping away at Syria. Of course NATO's participation was all about the oil, but Ghaddafi is being ousted by his own people, who are (quite rightly) fed up.

Bismillah

Submit
Mind you Alceste I was responding to this statement originally
Personally, I wouldn't be expecting any Christmas cards.
Foreign involvement, or lack of it, is starting to play a much more evident role in these revolutions. I do not think for a second that without foreign aid the Rebels would have been successful. Just as the demonstrations in Iran failed, the demonstrations in Bahrain are being sequestered, and the demonstrations in Syria are failing to take hold.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Mind you Alceste I was responding to this statement originally Foreign involvement, or lack of it, is starting to play a much more evident role in these revolutions. I do not think for a second that without foreign aid the Rebels would have been successful. Just as the demonstrations in Iran failed, the demonstrations in Bahrain are being sequestered, and the demonstrations in Syria are failing to take hold.
I understand that, what I am curious about is once the dust has settled, how thankful they will be to the very people who helped to keep them in chains for so many decades. Unlike those of us in the "West", who tend to have the attention span of a sex-crazed gnat in heat, the people of the Middle East, in general, do not forget things, especially things in the relatively recent past. I'm expecting a cool "thank you" and then a rather cold shoulder, at arm's length response, to further "western" overtures.

Bismillah

Submit
The Europeans made sure to secure those contracts before they involved themselves with the rebels. Either way Libyans are going to be more concerned with their domestic affairs for a while...Tripoli still hasn't fallen.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Meh, once Gaddafi is removed they'll simply replace him with another tyrant. The nature of Islamic culture allows for nothing other than a totalitarian society that's incapable with freedom and democracy.

Alceste

Vagabond
Mind you Alceste I was responding to this statement originally Foreign involvement, or lack of it, is starting to play a much more evident role in these revolutions. I do not think for a second that without foreign aid the Rebels would have been successful. Just as the demonstrations in Iran failed, the demonstrations in Bahrain are being sequestered, and the demonstrations in Syria are failing to take hold.

Well, I think the story is still unfolding in all those places with the exception of Iran, where people have some semblance of a democracy already.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Meh, once Gaddafi is removed they'll simply replace him with another tyrant. The nature of Islamic culture allows for nothing other than a totalitarian society that's incapable with freedom and democracy.

Not all societies that contain a majority of Muslims have the same culture to start with. There are similarities, but there are also a lot of differences.

Bismillah

Submit
Father Heathen said:
Nature of Islamic culture? That seems more than just a tad bit of arrogant. Are you familiar with Ibn Rusd's works? The idea of shura and the implication of the type of political system that was established in Medina, a complete reworking of Meccan oligarchic system to something that was astoundingly egalitarian and ahead of its time?

Bismillah

Submit
Well, I think the story is still unfolding in all those places with the exception of Iran, where people have some semblance of a democracy already.
It's almost always impossible to predict beforehand and just as pointless. But I would bet that with the KSA's intrest in Bahrain there will be some reconciliation so as to distribute some royal land and some propositions aimed at job creation for the lower class (read Shia majority). I don't think anything will come out of Syria's revolution to be honest, this type of thing has been crushed brutally in the past on the same level with Iran.