• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons For or Against Kavanaugh's Confirmation

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Kavanaugh sides with liberals in what appears to be support for abortion rights.
Kavanaugh Joins Liberals To Protect Pro-Planned Parenthood Ruling

I supported this guy during his confirmation process, I honestly didn't know he'd support extremist abortionists; I only support early-term abortions in cases of rape or when there's pregnancy complications causing imminently significant health risks to the embryo's mother. I'm now very disappointed with Kavanaugh's ruling in favor of Planned Parenthood. ...:(

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I supported this guy during his confirmation process, I honestly didn't know he'd support extremist abortionists; I only support early-term abortions in cases of rape or when there's pregnancy complications causing imminently significant health risks to the embryo's mother. I'm now very disappointed with Kavanaugh's ruling in favor of Planned Parenthood. ...:(
He could be simply supporting the Constitution & applicable law.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
He could be simply supporting the Constitution & applicable law.

"Qui in utero, est pro jam nato habetur quoties de ejus commodo quaeritur: One who is in the womb is held as already born, whenever a question arises for its benefit."

"According to English Common Law, the unborn have all the rights of the born, and these rights have been embodied in our Constitution in the 9th Amendment. All the rights in the Bill of Rights apply to the unborn, as well as the born.

The reason why these rights have not been matters of constitutional law before is that, until Roe v. Wade, these were rights protected by State laws, drawing upon English Common Law for their meaning and intent. But those State laws were abrogated and declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade, thus becoming matters of constitutional law."

Abortion - Pro Life - THE RIGHTS OF THE UNBORN from Common Law to Constitutional Law

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Qui in utero, est pro jam nato habetur quoties de ejus commodo quaeritur: One who is in the womb is held as already born, whenever a question arises for its benefit."

"According to English Common Law, the unborn have all the rights of the born, and these rights have been embodied in our Constitution in the 9th Amendment. All the rights in the Bill of Rights apply to the unborn, as well as the born.

The reason why these rights have not been matters of constitutional law before is that, until Roe v. Wade, these were rights protected by State laws, drawing upon English Common Law for their meaning and intent. But those State laws were abrogated and declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade, thus becoming matters of constitutional law."

Abortion - Pro Life - THE RIGHTS OF THE UNBORN from Common Law to Constitutional Law
Common law is indeed a basis for the Constitution, but the latter expanded on things.
The reasoning behind Roe v Wade can be argued over, but at this stage what matters
most is that it's largely settled law & a powerful force in culture.
Btw, to apply the entire Bill Of Rights to a fetus would be laughed out of court.
The singular right to life (ie, no abortions) would need a really cromulent argument.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Common law is indeed a basis for the Constitution, but the latter expanded on things.
The reasoning behind Roe v Wade can be argued over, but at this stage what matters
most is that it's largely settled law & a powerful force in culture.
Btw, to apply the entire Bill Of Rights to a fetus would be laughed out of court.
The singular right to life (ie, no abortions) would need a really cromulent argument.

There is good reason for abortions to be allowed in cases of rape or when there are pregnancy complications endangering the mother's life, but abortion on demand is wrong. I can't rightfully torture and kill a tame stray dog who wanders onto my property. Likewise, nobody should be able to torture and kill a human fetus who by the way does feel pain as early as in its second trimester of prenatal development.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is good reason for abortions to be allowed in cases of rape or when there are pregnancy complications endangering the mother's life, but abortion on demand is wrong. I can't rightfully torture and kill a tame stray dog who wanders onto my property. Likewise, nobody should be able to torture and kill a human fetus who by the way does feel pain as early as in its second trimester of prenatal development.
That all sounds like the basis for a reasonable compromise under the law.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Why? No one else is these days. It's just a sign of the times.
In normal politics, I get it. But we are talking about a judiciary body. They have to be as close to unbiased as they can.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In normal politics, I get it. But we are talking about a judiciary body. They have to be as close to unbiased as they can.
I guess that is why we are all well aware of the political leanings of all the sitting justices. Hey. If it's so unbiased why are Democrats going mental over another conservative judge? Obviously, politics matter (and likely always have).

Oh well, he voted to fund Planned Parenthood, against other conservative justices so he can't be that evil. Or is he still evil, regardless?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I guess that is why we are all well aware of the political leanings of all the sitting justices. Hey. If it's so unbiased why are Democrats going mental over another conservative judge? Obviously, politics matter (and likely always have).

Oh well, he voted to fund Planned Parenthood, against other conservative justices so he can't be that evil. Or is he still evil, regardless?
We might never know if he is or isn't. All we know if what he does from here on out, we will see.

Nous

Premium Member
I supported this guy during his confirmation process, I honestly didn't know he'd support extremist abortionists;
Didn't Kavanaugh tell Susan Collins that he considered Roe v. Wade settled law? There's certainly nothing "extremist" about that. It's unquestionably settled.

Nous

Premium Member

So you dispute the concurrence/dissent of Rehnquist, White, Scalia and Thomas in Casey? The plurality affirmed Roe in that the common law guarded the rights of privacy and bodily integrity against state intrusion as closely as it guarded any rights, and that the state simply does not have an interest in a previable fetus that survives strict scrutiny against such rights. Rehnquist et al. inform that English common law protected the life of a fetus only after quickening. Thus the viability standard in Casey.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I support the confirmation. Notwithstanding Trump’s election, I believe the country is moving to the left as a whole. I think a conservative court will help balance things during this change.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I dont know about other Democrats but I wasnt upset by his conservative leaning, I was upset because he very likely sexually assaulted people and lied about it. If anything, I feel like that's common ground with some Republicans.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I dont know about other Democrats but I wasnt upset by his conservative leaning, I was upset because he very likely sexually assaulted people and lied about it. If anything, I feel like that's common ground with some Republicans.
Actually, it has turned out that at least one of his accusers lied about it, while there’s no evidence that Kavanaugh ever lied.

Bob the Unbeliever

Actually, it has turned out that at least one of his accusers lied about it, while there’s no evidence that Kavanaugh ever lied.

Actually? He lied-- multiple times-- during his Monkey Trial (euphemistically titled "conformation hearing"). We have it on record, the lies he told.

But to all Conservatives? Lying only matters if you are a Democrat-- otherwise? It's Don't Care.