• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Re-introduce Yourself!

Yes Man

Premium Member
My name's Henry. I'm a 32 year old male. Single, straight. I like listening to comedy podcasts like Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend and Your Mom's House. I listen to non-fiction audiobooks. I'm trying to get into Greek tragedy right now. I enjoy watching serious dramas. If I had to choose a favorite movie it would be Lost In Translation. I'm half Peruvian and really enjoy Peruvian food. I live with mother and my rambunctious pet cockatiel and work as a housekeeper in a hospital.

I have not been on here for a long, long time. Probably not many people remember me but I joined back in 2005 when I was 15 not long after my father died. Had a lot of questions understandably, and was only raised nominally Christian. Soon after I lost my faith and "became" agnostic. Explored a lot of different religions, dabbled in Satanism and occultism for a bit. I sometimes call myself a Hindu today. Not comfortable enough to call myself that all the time, but I take it seriously enough that I hope to move closer to a temple that aligns closely with my beliefs sometime next year. I was never a prolific poster before but I lurked on here a fair amount and became friendly with a number of people on here. I've been keeping myself self-isolated a lot since the pandemic started and working nights at my job hasn't helped my social life. I hope everyone's doing well here, it's nice to see some familiar avatars around and I hope I'll be chatting with some of y'all in the future! :)

Laika

Premium Member
My name's Henry. I'm a 32 year old male. Single, straight. I like listening to comedy podcasts like Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend and Your Mom's House. I listen to non-fiction audiobooks. I'm trying to get into Greek tragedy right now. I enjoy watching serious dramas. If I had to choose a favorite movie it would be Lost In Translation. I'm half Peruvian and really enjoy Peruvian food. I live with mother and my rambunctious pet cockatiel and work as a housekeeper in a hospital.

I have not been on here for a long, long time. Probably not many people remember me but I joined back in 2005 when I was 15 not long after my father died. Had a lot of questions understandably, and was only raised nominally Christian. Soon after I lost my faith and "became" agnostic. Explored a lot of different religions, dabbled in Satanism and occultism for a bit. I sometimes call myself a Hindu today. Not comfortable enough to call myself that all the time, but I take it seriously enough that I hope to move closer to a temple that aligns closely with my beliefs sometime next year. I was never a prolific poster before but I lurked on here a fair amount and became friendly with a number of people on here. I've been keeping myself self-isolated a lot since the pandemic started and working nights at my job hasn't helped my social life. I hope everyone's doing well here, it's nice to see some familiar avatars around and I hope I'll be chatting with some of y'all in the future! :)

Hey Yes Man, welcome back to religiousforums.com. I think the site started up in March 2004, so you were around in it's very early history. I expect it has changed quite a bit since then. I hope you have fun and enjoy getting to know a few people on here. :)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Hi!

I don't even remember the first introduction I made on RF way back in 2006!

I am Mike. I live in Maine in with my wife (Gentoo, though she hasn't been on in a long while). We are polyamorous and have been together for nigh on 20 years!

I work as a special education high school teacher. I enjoy playing guitar and songwriting. I spend a lot of time in woods, since I grew up stalking the hundreds of acres of woods in my hometown. I am a bleeding heart, so that makes me a tree-hugging, dirt-worshipper--or something like that! I also enjoy craft brews and whiskies.

I am a mystic, meaning spiritually I tend to focus on connecting to what is beyond myself, and this mostly comes out in a kind of pagan worship involving offerings and rituals designed to inspire me. I connect with Christian mythology on a mystical level since I grew up with it, but interpret it through a pagan lens.

All of this I filter through the lens of philosophy and science, meaning I try to maintain a spiritual connection with things without being dogmatic and going too far into supernatural beliefs.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Yes Man

Premium Member
I expect it has changed quite a bit since then. I hope you have fun and enjoy getting to know a few people on here. :)

Yep been around a while. You know the actual layout hasn't changed that much, which I appreciate. The way social media is designed nowadays, your voice is easily lost in the "like" system where the supposedly best posts float to the top. Which has its advantages and disadvantages of course. I like that this site is locked in a chronological way that mimics real conversation a bit more.

Laika

Premium Member
I don't even remember the first introduction I made on RF way back in 2006!

Welcome back to the Forums GC! :)

Yep been around a while. You know the actual layout hasn't changed that much, which I appreciate. The way social media is designed nowadays, your voice is easily lost in the "like" system where the supposedly best posts float to the top. Which has its advantages and disadvantages of course. I like that this site is locked in a chronological way that mimics real conversation a bit more.

Yeah. I do prefer religious forums to something like Facebook or Reddit and I haven't found another online forum that pulls me back quite as much either. The range of subjects that could be brought up and the number of different beliefs makes it hard to beat.

Sometimes I wish we had a way to organise all the old content so you could see how it's changed over time. So we could scroll back to 2004 or 2012 or whatever, just to see what people were saying then on roughly the same topic. As it is we seem to have the same discussions over and over again, so you'd hope we've made a bit of progress over the years rather than just repeating ourselves. :D

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
My name is Emilie Grace (no, I haven't Franco-phied my name; that's how it's spelled), but I go by Grace irl. I live in Britain, but feel like a fake Brit most of the time. I have British, French, and Moroccan ancestry.

I'm a Noachide and have been for 4 years, with an off period.

Aside from religion, I enjoy Mediaeval languages, especially Old French; I love tracing how common spoken Latin became French, as well as learning to read older forms of English (Middle English). Sometimes I make translations and send them to friends. I can learn quite a bit from doing these, too, which is also great. I only do the Langues D'Oil at the minute, but I'll have a go at Langue D'Oc soon, hopefully.

I also love Victorian things.

I don't do social media pretty much at all. I only use RF and have Whatsapp to keep in touch with mom.

I have a tendency to give folks nicknames. I've done this since I was a kid.

I don't really enjoy watching films, but I do enjoy listening to lectures on YouTube. I like listening to Jewish lectures the most. I also like listening to scary true stories - they give you lots of tips!

Dark hair, hazel eyes.

Taken.

:)

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Rival You are wonderful. I have always thought so but, now, you are a shining star!

How to rate your post? It's hard.

It's funny. It's genius. (I think that I would rather wish to be so smart than to be rich or beautiful). It's informative. (I think that I might be a Noachide also). It's friendly; creative too as you have always been a good writer. A winner you are.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I'm Ashoka. I'm from Appalachia in the U.S. and I am a Hindu convert (well, you don't convert technically; you just start practicing.)

I have two cats, Max and Rudy. Max is laid back, and Rudy is a kitten and very rambunctious.

My favorite season is winter. I like coffee. I'm not a morning person, but I can stay up until 2 in the morning talking to friends, even if I have work in the morning.

I'm a blogger and an aspiring writer as well.

Asexual but homoromantic (I like girls).

My music taste is pretty open and eclectic. I like Tupac, but I also really love Korn.

Ummmmmmm and I am a vegetarian.

Hi! :)

JIMMY12345

Hi, my name is Amy and I am a RFaholic. :D

I joined this forum just days after Rex had opened it. He was advertising on some other forums, one of which I was a member of at the time, VeggieBoards.com. So I came over and said "hey you don't have a UU forum, you should make one!" So he did and made me a moderator of it and you all have been stuck listening to me ever since. :D This forum has really given me a chance to hash out what I believe and why I believe it. I learn something new everyday here and I thank you all for that.

Now me outside RF: I am a UU, as you all know. I was brought up in the Church of Christ but never really fit in there. My family left that church as a whole when I was a teenager because of differences my parents had with the leaders. It was really for the best. But I didn't give religion much thought until I got to college and was on my own for the first time. I was alone and I was scared but I still didn't know where I belonged in a religion. Then after my son was born, I thought more about attending a church for him. I wanted him to think about the "big questions" but at the time I didn't feel I could give him a good conversation about it, (granted he was only a year old, lol). I was living in Lexington, KY at the time and opened the phone book to the church listings, went down the page hoping something would jump out at me. Well, it didn't. Until I got to the end of the listing and saw Unitarian Universalist Church of Lexington. I'd never heard of them before, so I got on the internet and looked them up and spent hours reading the church's and UUA's websites. I loved what I was reading and signed up for a "new to UU" class they were offering. It was just what I was looking for, I was home.

Last summer I moved to Virginia and found another wonderful UU church that I am proud to be a member of. I teach Children's RE (religious education), I serve on the Welcoming Congregation committee which works to make our church a welcome place for BGLT people, and just this morning I was asked to be a Greeter (ganged up on was more like it, but I was flattered nonetheless!).

I have 2 wonderful, beautiful, intelligent and comical children. They are really the center of my life. I can go on and on about them, but I do that enough so I'll stop myself now.

I am gay. That's not always been as easy thing for me to say and is still difficult in person. After spending years of hiding myself from even myself, it is hard to change that. I am a very private person about just about everything, and it doesn't get much more personal than someone's sexuality. I am trying to be more open about it. I have 'come out' at church (they didn't look surprised) in a committee meeting and it is helping me having people there to talk to about my issues. I haven't been able to tell my family yet, but I'm hoping someday I will be able to do that as well.

My dream job would be to own a bookstore, but the older I get the more elusive that dream seems. I would also love to do something within UU and my church, that too is far off. Before I moved, I was working on my degree in Religious Studies. Because of residency restrictions, I've had to sit out this year or pay out-of-state tuition, which I could not have afforded. But I am looking forward to getting back into college this fall.

I have a cat. I adopted her from the Humane Society. I had seen her in an ad on the news and just knew I had to adopt her. I've had her for 6 years. I'm not happy with her at the moment because she clawed my hutch. :mad:

Last year I joined a gym and I love working out and my daughter and I go to the gym at least once a day, everyday except Sundays (or when we are sick, lol). I've lost over 20 lbs. so far! :woohoo: I still have a lot to go, but I'm really enjoying it and it is going well. And I've almost recovered from trying yoga.

I love hiking and camping and have a couple trips planned already for next summer. I've always been to the same places in Kentucky so I am very excited to explore new areas here in Virginia. There is a women's backpacking group that I want to join that sounds like a lot of fun too.

Well, I think that's the most I've ever written about myself....

Cheers!
Amy