• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Who doesn't?
You?

If by bias you mean "black men and women are kings and queens of the earth and the white man descend from an ape"

No.

Do I think blacks are constantly and wrongfully stereotyped and grouped while whites and Asians and Hispanics aren't? Yup. do I think blacks deserve a lot more credit than simply juggling a basketball and throwing a football or playing tennis? Yup. Do I think a lot of whites still have racial bias despite them being on a multi-cultural forum? Yup (you're proof as you've admitted). But does that mean when an African-American decides to talk crap about European heritage I'm going to sit idle, no. I would be a hypocrite for doing that and I've lived long enough to believe that despite our differences we are all of the same species. the problem I see in SOME whites is a lot do not want to be associated with being racist because racism is a dirty word. Our society has evolved into isolating racists as ex-communicated members in society.

What you fail to do even at your age is to do self-reflection. whatever gripe you have with me overshadows your own reason as a white man. Sure, you mask your "love for people" with stupid unfunny jokes but when it comes to defending others cultures who remain silent. People like me have to call people like you out and to remind you that despite your so-called fairness here, you failed in defending me, in a thread where I was blatantly insulted. I was told to be okay with the enslavement of my ancestors. After this weekend when me and my girl watched Amistad I have to remind you that slavery was horrible and despite the evolution that happen thus the event, nobody should tell someone it is okay to dehumanize a human being. you failed in being a fair person and that failure demonstrates your own racial bias that you have to resolve.

Sure you're older than me but in this case I'm a lot more wiser than you when it comes to defending others just as others here who ignorantly talk bad about Muslims I shall to point out the ignorance and the implicit racial biases I see here. This is why I will always continue to point out why blacks will continue to see racism as a problem because it is people like you who fall silent when others who are blatantly racist will not speak out. It is people like you who show cowardice in the face of injustice and I will leave you with the following quote by Edmund Burke:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You fail that @Revoltingest in the slavery thread. I give jack s*** what others think of you here. the fact that someone made a blatant racist comment and you said nothing tells me a lot about you in that moment. If you and I were in person this tongue lashing would be worse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If by bias you mean "black men and women are kings and queens of the earth and the white man descend from an ape"

No.

Do I think blacks are constantly and wrongfully stereotyped and grouped while whites and Asians and Hispanics aren't? Yup. do I think blacks deserve a lot more credit than simply juggling a basketball and throwing a football or playing tennis? Yup. Do I think a lot of whites still have racial bias despite them being on a multi-cultural forum? Yup (you're proof as you've admitted). But does that mean when an African-American decides to talk crap about European heritage I'm going to sit idle, no. I would be a hypocrite for doing that and I've lived long enough to believe that despite our differences we are all of the same species. the problem I see in SOME whites is a lot do not want to be associated with being racist because racism is a dirty word. Our society has evolved into isolating racists as ex-communicated members in society.

What you fail to do even at your age is to do self-reflection. whatever gripe you have with me overshadows your own reason as a white man. Sure, you mask your "love for people" with stupid unfunny jokes but when it comes to defending others cultures who remain silent. People like me have to call people like you out and to remind you that despite your so-called fairness here, you failed in defending me, in a thread where I was blatantly insulted. I was told to be okay with the enslavement of my ancestors. After this weekend when me and my girl watched Amistad I have to remind you that slavery was horrible and despite the evolution that happen thus the event, nobody should tell someone it is okay to dehumanize a human being. you failed in being a fair person and that failure demonstrates your own racial bias that you have to resolve.

Sure you're older than me but in this case I'm a lot more wiser than you when it comes to defending others just as others here who ignorantly talk bad about Muslims I shall to point out the ignorance and the implicit racial biases I see here. This is why I will always continue to point out why blacks will continue to see racism as a problem because it is people like you who fall silent when others who are blatantly racist will not speak out. It is people like you who show cowardice in the face of injustice and I will leave you with the following quote by Edmund Burke:

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You fail that @Revoltingest in the slavery thread. I give jack s*** what others think of you here. the fact that someone made a blatant racist comment and you said nothing tells me a lot about you in that moment. If you and I were in person this tongue lashing would be worse.
The underlined text should read...."my girl & I".
Other than that, there's nothing amenable to correction.

Edit....
I avoid defending myself against scurrilous charges.
They're insignificant.
Those who believe them won't be swayed by anything I'd say.
Those who disbelieve them will judge the source accordingly.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Revoltingest ,
If I remember correctly, aren't you or your wife an ethnic minority?
Mrs Revolt's family is from China, but she was born here, hence she's an "ABC" (Americastanian Born Chinese).
I'm a caucasian mongrel.....German, Dutch, English, Scottish, & a wee bit'o French.
And I've extended family in & from Iran.

dust1n

Zindīq
If we are all of the Human race, what exactly is racism?

"Race" doesn't mean anything. All humans are Homo sapiens. Our genetics are 99.9% similar (baring significantly bad things happening; various health related issues, or radiation for example). The variation between nearly all people is found in .1% of our DNA. A portion of that DNA affects phenotypes. A phenotype is just a specific gene that causes a physical difference in how something appears. So hair color, eye color, skin color, jaw shape, ear lope shape, hair line, and thousands of little things that you could possibly notice between any two given individuals to the tiniest detail.

On the other side of the equation, the human mind is a social one. It has great capacity for deep empathy, and this is obviously (usually) most reflected in familial bonds. And furthermore, it has deeper empathy for our immediate neighbors. We can even empathize for people we haven't met before, either because of national or religious bonds or because of us visually witnessing a great injustice. But in general, our brains aren't capable of knowing everyone. I mean, people generally have fam, and then 2-10 intimate friends, and then like 11-100 acquaintances. After that point we can't really "know" people. Our ability to be able to relate to everyone's experiences has its own limits.

So we sort of grow into into a regional and social group. For many people in the world, this might be the only really people the interact with in an sort of non-professional setting for their entire lives. And we tend to romanticize those people first and foremost, and extend outward from there. What we know and what we come to expect.

Back to phenotypes; we naturally are more likely to sympathize with people who have similar positions in their life experiences, and humans have difficulty imaging too far out that without some actual effort their part to engage in some potentially exhausting work for their brain. I mean, I don't really mean to apologize for racists, because it's not really that difficult. But their is a natural inclination to place blame some other "group" than one's own when something bad happens. These are pretty culturally defined. I mean, white Europeans of various geographical and cultural differences kill each other on a fairly regular basis. Their is ethnic strife in Africa between wholly black people. In the Western hemisphere, our cultural differences still tend to be vestiges of the chattel slavery and imperialistic posturing that make up the "history of the Americas" as we known it. And when you have these sort of group dynamics form between people, every trivial difference between one group and another is more or less just a means of reinforcing these perceptions, in which some people often get further interested in reinforcing these perceptions (for various reasons), and pretty much will use selective bias to morph any and every piece of information they encounter as an indictment onto others.

And that's pretty much the gist of what racism is; lumping people with some sort of difference (in this case, usually a phenotype that basically determines how melanin your body should make) from you together because peoples' ability to relate to one another is limited to so many people and their perceptions outside of this immediate group can be much more influenced by various cultural pressures, or sometimes things like personal traumas and such.

Last edited:

wellwisher

The second meaning of the word is structural or systematic racism. A structuring of society, its rules, regulations, laws, customs, traditions, power relationships, and institutions, etc. in such a way as to systematically discriminate against people of a particular race. For instance, if you arranged things such that the rules or regulations of the banking and real estate industries made it difficult or impossible for Blacks to buy and own homes in certain neighborhoods, that would be structural or systematic racism.

The quota system was both racist and sexist by this definition.

If you recall the justification for the quota system was blaming a stereo type of the white male for all the woes of minorities and women, even though most of the accused group were not even born yet when the woes were the worse. It was based on a shallow set of stereo type criteria to systematically discriminate.

Martin Luther King hd a dream where a person would be judge by the content of their character and not the color of their skin. Character is something you have to develop through effort. One is not born with character. Skin color is a default situation which takes no effort. One is born that way with no effort needed, Those who judge by the surface; racism, are not very deep, and have never developed character.

Character makes one self sufficient in terms of social judgement skills. Self reliance is more of a Republican thing; small government. Democrats are more for group think; big brother, which is not how you develop character. Character does not usually come from group think, but rather from individualism, so one can stand outside the group and be objective.

Misunderstood

Two DoubleTree employees were fired. (You probably found that out, already.)

Ya, I saw that. It just seems something is missing from the story explaining the cause that made the situation to escalate that way. What caused it to warrant the police being called? I can't really think of a scenario or explanation that would explain this away from flat out racism.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Ya, I saw that. It just seems something is missing from the story explaining the cause that made the situation to escalate that way. What caused it to warrant the police being called? I can't really think of a scenario or explanation that would explain this away from flat out racism.
Yes. If doubletree hadn't fired those employees, there might be some question of what Mr. Massey might have done to cause it.

But apparently, nothing.

Hope you're well!

Misunderstood

Yes. If doubletree hadn't fired those employees, there might be some question of what Mr. Massey might have done to cause it.

But apparently, nothing.

Hope you're well!

Thanks Hockeycowboy, it is always nice to hear from you. Just wanted to let you know I have been fine, but our family is going through a difficult time. My mom was an only child and my dad only had a sister so we only have cousins from my aunt. My dad and aunt have always lived within a mile of each other as they were close. And the rest of their (my dad and my aunt) children myself included have lived within a few mile of each other, we stay pretty close.

Anyway my cousins son was diagnosed with brain cancer about nine months ago. He is in his late twenties, married with a set of twin boys and a daughter. Well over the Christmas season he went into a seizure and was rushed to the hospital. Today we learned of his diagnosis, he was taken off of chemo, given all the pain meds he may need and sent home with 2 to 6 weeks left to live. He is feeling better without the chemo and wants to go on a trip to a few places he's wanted to see. It looks like the family is going to be going along in the next few days for support.

Is all I know to ask for at this time is 'prayers for Miles and his family' (his name) and if you could pass this along to any of the rest of your Christian friends would be appreciated.

Sorry to put this here as it has nothing to do with the OP. If a moderator wants to delete or move it, that is OK, I just put it here for convenience. I don't know when I will be back, it might be awhile, or maybe I will need an outlet and be here often. Thanks for everything.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Thanks Hockeycowboy, it is always nice to hear from you. Just wanted to let you know I have been fine, but our family is going through a difficult time. My mom was an only child and my dad only had a sister so we only have cousins from my aunt. My dad and aunt have always lived within a mile of each other as they were close. And the rest of their (my dad and my aunt) children myself included have lived within a few mile of each other, we stay pretty close.

Anyway my cousins son was diagnosed with brain cancer about nine months ago. He is in his late twenties, married with a set of twin boys and a daughter. Well over the Christmas season he went into a seizure and was rushed to the hospital. Today we learned of his diagnosis, he was taken off of chemo, given all the pain meds he may need and sent home with 2 to 6 weeks left to live. He is feeling better without the chemo and wants to go on a trip to a few places he's wanted to see. It looks like the family is going to be going along in the next few days for support.

Is all I know to ask for at this time is 'prayers for Miles and his family' (his name) and if you could pass this along to any of the rest of your Christian friends would be appreciated.

Sorry to put this here as it has nothing to do with the OP. If a moderator wants to delete or move it, that is OK, I just put it here for convenience. I don't know when I will be back, it might be awhile, or maybe I will need an outlet and be here often. Thanks for everything.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that!
Consider it done... He and his family are in my prayers. You, too.
I hope, in the remaining time, that y'all will grow closer & cherish each other even more.

Keep faith in the Resurrection (John 5:28-29); that day will come when all families will be reunited, and "death will be no more." -- Revelation 21:3-4. Isaiah 33:24.