• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I don't follow.
Hunter gatherer cultures are famous for their egalitarianism -- it's Anthropology 101. There is no hierarchy, everyone is the same, and the only specialization is men hunting and women gathering. There is intense in-group solidarity and altruism, but this doesn't necessarily extend to other bands.
Like wolf packs, everyone co-operates, but if another wolf pack is encountered, everyone co-operates in the inevitable fight, as well.

Yes. Males are the hunters and warriors. Women find it hard to hunt with infants and toddlers in tow, and, in an encounter with strangers, must retreat to a safe place and protect their offspring if the band is to have any future.

It's not my theory but it seems plausible hence is why I posted that.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Such differences tend to be culturally and economically based and change over time.
I agree.

I live in the inner-city ghetto, and believe culture is holding people back.

That might explain why statistics show that black children with white parents are scoring higher on IQ tests
The Black-White Test Score Gap

When you live in the diversity I've always found myself in, you absolutely want positive race-relations, but time and time again you get burned, because there is a mentality that is dominating the culture, which increases violence, increases the spread of STDs, increases drug addiction, homelessness, unemployment, crime, hatred, and lowers the average lifespan and level of education.

There are studies that have shown, that African-Americans make up 13% of the population, but 52% of the crime.

It isn't racist to share a statistic that I'm living in the midst of, and seeing many examples of regularly.

Since I live in the heart of that culture , and seen what is being done and the attitudes of so many people who are under the influence of it, I learn to be suspicious of everyone, while at the same time seeking positive race relations, chronically work on purging my heart of any racist sentiments, and try to never judge a person by their ethnicity, because I've met many great black people, and I like to focus on that, instead of the negative things I see. Plus, I've met white people who embrace this culture as well, so it isn't race I've got issues with, it's the mentality.

I just find the culture I live in to be very unhealthy, and something you educated, law-abiding, drug-free, responsible folks would be wise to avoid incorporating into your rule of life!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Learn by fire?

Newer members will have to get used to this as quickly as they can. I'm not one to shelter folks unless they're minors or possibly have a mental illness. Otherwise, it's all fair game so let's not walk on egg shells.

Jay's setting his boundaries with this member, IMO. That's all it is...
It's one thing for those of us who know each other to be disrespectful to each other
We know who will take it in stride. Incivility is bad enuf, but it's wrong to risk driving
away newbies just because they raise an issue which we've already beaten to death.
Sure, sure, they could research old threads, but I say that's an unfair burden to impose
upon them. Let'm raise their age old questions, & those interested will weigh in.

It's ridiculous & rude to post in a thread for the sole purpose of
saying one isn't interested in the thread. At best, it adds nothing.

Last edited:

suncowiam

It's one thing for those of us who know each other to be disrespectful to each other
We know who will take it in stride. Incivility is bad enuf, but it's wrong to risk driving
away newbies just because they raise an issue which we've already beaten to death.
Sure, sure, they could research old threads, but I say that's an unfair burden to impose
upon them. Let'm raise their age old questions, & those interested will weigh in.

It's ridiculous & rude to post in a thread for the sole purpose of
saying one isn't interested in the thread. At best, it adds nothing.

Well, I'm not going to be hypocritical and suggest to you not to criticize Jay.

Jay has a right to say whatever he feels even if it comes off rude and so do you.

As for as the newbie is concerned... He's really just a newbie to this forum, but not a newbie in life. I'm not going to treat him any differently then I treat you or Jay.

So I pay the same level of respects or disrespects to him, you and Jay... Or specifically to your comments. That is me being unbiased to the speaker but being biased to the content.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I agree.

I live in the inner-city ghetto, and believe culture is holding people back.

That might explain why statistics show that black children with white parents are scoring higher on IQ tests
The Black-White Test Score Gap

When you live in the diversity I've always found myself in, you absolutely want positive race-relations, but time and time again you get burned, because there is a mentality that is dominating the culture, which increases violence, increases the spread of STDs, increases drug addiction, homelessness, unemployment, crime, hatred, and lowers the average lifespan and level of education.

There are studies that have shown, that African-Americans make up 13% of the population, but 52% of the crime.

It isn't racist to share a statistic that I'm living in the midst of, and seeing many examples of regularly.

Since I live in the heart of that culture , and seen what is being done and the attitudes of so many people who are under the influence of it, I learn to be suspicious of everyone, while at the same time seeking positive race relations, chronically work on purging my heart of any racist sentiments, and try to never judge a person by their ethnicity, because I've met many great black people, and I like to focus on that, instead of the negative things I see. Plus, I've met white people who embrace this culture as well, so it isn't race I've got issues with, it's the mentality.

I just find the culture I live in to be very unhealthy, and something you educated, law-abiding, drug-free, responsible folks would be wise to avoid incorporating into your rule of life!
I am trying to learn how to respect and love this culture, that conflicts with what my moral compass tells me is healthy, intelligent, civilized, and moral.

But sometimes in the process of doing so, I have to throw out and deny what's obvious, to make that a possibility.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I'm not going to be hypocritical and suggest to you not to criticize Jay.

Jay has a right to say whatever he feels even if it comes off rude and so do you.

As for as the newbie is concerned... He's really just a newbie to this forum, but not a newbie in life. I'm not going to treat him any differently then I treat you or Jay.

So I pay the same level of respects or disrespects to him, you and Jay... Or specifically to your comments. That is me being unbiased to the speaker but being biased to the content.
The OP's question is a perennial one worth addressing.
For a long time & highly respected poster to slyly call it "stupid" is
particularly against the spirit of the forum. And for staff to praise
the insult does not advance civil conversation.
Of course, every poster has the right dis newcomers. I don't dispute that.
But just as he may post his insults, I will advocate for more civility.

suncowiam

To slyly call it "stupid" goes against the spirit of the forum.
Of course, every poster has the right to do this, & I don't dispute that.

That's fair.

Personally, I'm trying to collect more data before I call it anything. And if it turns out to be "whatever it is", then I will call it "whatever it is."

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If we are all of the Human race, what exactly is racism?
I have been accused of racism because I tend to drift to the ghettos where there is free food, Catholic charities, free meals, and free hygiene items etc.

I usually live in impoverished environments where people are uneducated, and drug-addiction, mental illnesses, unemployment, early mortality, and violence runs rampant.

I've developed strong opinions about the culture that some interpret as racist.

I have lived in neighborhoods where the majority of people are white, and they tend to be cleaner, safer, less drug sales, fewer gang activity, fewer crimes, and a different mentality than neighborhoods that have a black majority, so it leads to opinions that are offensive.

I'm really trying to love and respect this culture, and not be biased, but I'm encountering many difficulties in accomplishing that.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayToka

I don't follow.
Hunter gatherer cultures are famous for their egalitarianism -- it's Anthropology 101. There is no hierarchy, everyone is the same, and the only specialization is men hunting and women gathering. There is intense in-group solidarity and altruism, but this doesn't necessarily extend to other bands.
Like wolf packs, everyone co-operates, but if another wolf pack is encountered, everyone co-operates in the inevitable fight, as well.

Yes. Males are the hunters and warriors. Women find it hard to hunt with infants and toddlers in tow, and, in an encounter with strangers, must retreat to a safe place and protect their offspring if the band is to have any future.

It didn't matter the gender of the human, way back when. If a male had any kind of condition that meant he could not hunt he would gather, just as a female that was capable of hunting, would. IMO.

JayToka

I can't tell if you're asking a serious question or if you're feigning ignorance. Sorry, if that comes out offensive.

To take your comment at face value suggests that there shouldn't be a notion of racism in our lives... Be careful with that.
I am deadly serious. I am truly staggered that the word even exists.

suncowiam

I am deadly serious. I am truly staggered that the word even exists.

It exists more because of human nature.

We all devolve into tribalism and like to clump things together for easier decision making. Not valid decision making, but easier and quicker...

It's complex and complicated.

I dare say though that I wouldn't trivialize the matter of racism as this has been very destructive to society. Worst case stuff being genocide...

Just saying...

JayToka

I have been accused of racism because I tend to drift to the ghettos where there is free food, Catholic charities, free meals, and free hygiene items etc.

I usually live in impoverished environments where people are uneducated, and drug-addiction, mental illnesses, unemployment, early mortality, and violence runs rampant.

I've developed strong opinions about the culture that some interpret as racist.

I have lived in neighborhoods where the majority of people are white, and they tend to be cleaner, safer, less drug sales, fewer gang activity, fewer crimes, and a different mentality than neighborhoods that have a black majority, so it leads to opinions that are offensive.

I'm really trying to love and respect this culture, and not be biased, but I'm encountering many difficulties in accomplishing that.

I know sometimes life is hard. I do, trust me. The saddest part is the fact that world leaders, elected by us, and as such we are their employers, of all, nearly?, governments, world wide, have allowed you to be in this situation when they should be governing us, and our planet for our betterment, instead of living lavish lifestyles with other peoples money.

I'm just really sad that the word "racism" exists.
And, hey, when your on the floor, you can only go up!
I wish you Good Luck in all you do.

JayToka

It exists more because of human nature.

We all devolve into tribalism and like to clump things together for easier decision making. Not valid decision making, but easier and quicker...

It's complex and complicated.

I dare say though that I wouldn't trivialize the matter of racism as this has been very destructive to society. Worst case stuff being genocide...

Just saying...

I'll tell you what's destructive to society - government, in it's current form, IMO. But I understand your view. Complex indeed.

JayToka

Racism, like nearly every word in the English language, has more than one meaning. As I see it, there are two common meanings of the word "racism".

The first meaning of the word is personal racism: To view or treat a person in such a way as to reduce them, or their value as a person, to no more than their race. For instance, you would ignore everything about a person, their character, their personality, their accomplishments, and instead see them as, "Just another Black man", or "Just another White man", etc.

I personally prefer that definition over the "standard" definition of personal racism as "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed at a person of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior", although I think both definitions have their uses.

The second meaning of the word is structural or systematic racism. A structuring of society, its rules, regulations, laws, customs, traditions, power relationships, and institutions, etc. in such a way as to systematically discriminate against people of a particular race. For instance, if you arranged things such that the rules or regulations of the banking and real estate industries made it difficult or impossible for Blacks to buy and own homes in certain neighborhoods, that would be structural or systematic racism.

I'm sorry, I must disagree. First meaning: You cannot reduce a person to just their race. We are all the same race. So it boils down to the appearance of the person, i.e, colour, disability, clothing, language or whatever other difference there may be.

Second meaning sounds plausible, and no doubt true, but again, it cannot be race. So it boils down again to the differences stated previously.

To be frank, wherever these meanings exist, they should be deleted.

JayToka

For a long time & highly respected poster to slyly call it "stupid" is
particularly against the spirit of the forum. And for staff to praise
the insult does not advance civil conversation.
Of course, every poster has the right dis newcomers. I don't dispute that.

It's easy really, just treat others as you expect to be treated. Just debating. Sometimes things can get heated, and people sometimes say things they don't really mean, but that's just human nature. When you do it maliciously (not saying you have), that's offensive and not needed in a debate. But, were just Humans after all, from the Human Race..

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's easy really, just treat others as you expect to be treated. Just debating. Sometimes things can get heated, and people sometimes say things they don't really mean, but that's just human nature. When you do it maliciously (not saying you have), that's offensive and not needed in a debate. But, were just Humans after all, from the Human Race..
Some of us are humans.
I'm an unsuccessful Turing Test.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Some of us are humans.
I'm an unsuccessful Turing Test.

I still think you have an implicit racial bias...Now prove me wrong. So the next time someone thinks I should have thanked slavery you being white ought to speak up using red font and warn that person about insulting members next time...right?