• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes from scientists

shmogie

No. It is enough to simply accept the truth, when it is shown to be the truth. There are truths that are not going to be easy to love -- for example when your doctor tells you that you have an inoperable cancer, and need to get your affairs in order.
Absolutely. In the throes of a very serious Asthma attack at the ER, my friend, fellow attendee at my Church my, and my pulmonologist came into my cubicle and said ¨ I wouldn´t say this to just any patient, but this attack is causing your blood chemistry to change rapidly, and unless we get it under control, it will effect your heart and you will die, If you have anything to work out with God, you better do it now´

Hard to love that truth.

They were able to get the spasaming in my lungs stopped, and with normal breathing and drugs, my blood chemistry rebalanced itself.

Yet, the experience was like a tub of cold water dumped on me. But, it was the truth

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
"Natural selection is not some desperate last resort of a theory. It is an idea whose plausibility and power hit you between the eyes with stunning force, once you understand it in all its elegant simplicity. Well might T. H. Huxley cry out, ‘How extremely stupid of me not to have thought of that!’"
-- Richard Dawkins

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
One day I went up to my mom and I said, 'Mom, can I have permission to build a 2.3-million electron-volt atom smasher - a betatron - in the garage?' And my mom stared at me, and she said, 'Sure. Why not? And don't forget to take out the garbage.'
Michio Kaku

ChristineM

Premium Member
You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it. (Stephen Hawking)

I have never found a verification of that quote. I have seen lots of religious sites using it a scientific validation of of their faith but never found anywhere that truly attributes the quote to hawking. Do you gave an original source?

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'd be perfectly happy with a mathematically precise description of how time began. I see science and religion as being two completely different things. I don't see science as relevant to the question of whether or not there's a God.
Neil Turok

PruePhillip

Consciousness cannot be accounted for in physical terms. For consciousness is absolutely fundamental. It cannot be accounted for in terms of anything else. (Erwin Schrodinger)

I love the work by Peter Fenwick on this topic. He suggests from experiences with patients
who are technically brain dead, yet have "experiences" during this time, that perhaps
consciousness lies outside the brain. If so, then where?

ChristineM

Premium Member
I love the work by Peter Fenwick on this topic. He suggests from experiences with patients
who are technically brain dead, yet have "experiences" during this time, that perhaps
consciousness lies outside the brain. If so, then where?

How do they know brain dead have experiences? How are they measured and assessed?

PruePhillip

How do they know brain dead have experiences? How are they measured and assessed?

You will have to Google the guy. It's all to do with that Near Death Experience stuff.
He said in one video that 60% of British nurses and 70% of Dutch nurses report
paranormal events with dying people. Read a good book on the weird world of
twins and you will get an idea of what strange things people report.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You will have to Google the guy. It's all to do with that Near Death Experience stuff.
He said in one video that 60% of British nurses and 70% of Dutch nurses report
paranormal events with dying people. Read a good book on the weird world of
twins and you will get an idea of what strange things people report.

I know several nurses and doctors, British and French and know none nor have they spoken of the brains of brain dead people actually not being dead.

But i know what strange things people who don't really understand the concept of death will report so they can get their 15 minutes of fame in the press.

As far as i am aware there is no actual evidence.

PruePhillip

I know several nurses and doctors, British and French and know none nor have they spoken of the brains of brain dead people actually not being dead.

But i know what strange things people who don't really understand the concept of death will report so they can get their 15 minutes of fame in the press.

As far as i am aware there is no actual evidence.

This business of "no actual evidence"
You read this when you someone speaks of possible extraterrestrial UFO's
(I worked with the famous Frank Valentich's brother once - the guy who
vanished after reporting an UFO) where radar has tracked such objects
traveling at speeds much higher than any human vehicle. And oddly, there
is "no evidence" for the UFO - as if the radar isn't evidence, nor the eye
witnesses.

Fenwick stated plainly that scientists can't do the research work he did
because now the Near Death Experience is familiar to all. This is where the
15 minutes of fame come into play.

ChristineM

Premium Member
This business of "no actual evidence"
You read this when you someone speaks of possible extraterrestrial UFO's
(I worked with the famous Frank Valentich's brother once - the guy who
vanished after reporting an UFO) where radar has tracked such objects
traveling at speeds much higher than any human vehicle. And oddly, there
is "no evidence" for the UFO - as if the radar isn't evidence, nor the eye
witnesses.

Fenwick stated plainly that scientists can't do the research work he did
because now the Near Death Experience is familiar to all. This is where the
15 minutes of fame come into play.

You need to learn what evidence is.

Fenwick says that what i say is my evidence and science can't check it? Scientific claims that cannot be repeated under test conditions are not worth the paper they are written on

PruePhillip

You need to learn what evidence is.

Fenwick says that what i say is my evidence and science can't check it? Scientific claims that cannot be repeated under test conditions are not worth the paper they are written on

Well, then there's no such thing as UFO's, even if we film them, radar track them etc..
As an aside - studies of the "Loch Ness Monster" environs brought up the fact there's
another loch, in Africa I think, with the same strange phenomena - a deep and long loch
with two layers of water, warm and cold, that behave as separate bodies. So there WAS
"something" in the loch unknown to science. And in my country the aborigines have this
legend of the "min min light" which "follows" you. A group of surveyors spotted this rare
event and measured it - turned out it was light being channeled for a hundred kilometers
or about through layers of warm and cold air.

But if Fenwick says that 60% of Dutch nurses report strange phenomena around people
dying then it means just that - 60% report "something." In my family of seven there have
been three Near Death experiences. I was one of them.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, then there's no such thing as UFO's, even if we film them, radar track them etc..

A UFO is an unidentified or unidentified flying object.

If / when one becomes identified it looses its UFO name.

UFOs Are Real, But Don't Assume They're Alien Spaceships

And to save derailing the thread

ufo_quote_2.jpg

PruePhillip

A UFO is an unidentified or unidentified flying object.

If / when one becomes identified it looses its UFO name.

UFOs Are Real, But Don't Assume They're Alien Spaceships

And to save derailing the thread

View attachment 34233

We asked our co-worker Valentich "What happened with those tapes that were
sent to NASA?" He told us the radar and audio tapes were returned to him with
the note that NASA "cannot explain" them. There were ground witnesses to the
light aircraft being "orbited" by some green glowing blob (?) as the plane headed
out to sea. The plane's controls were then locked, according to the pilot and the
last sound on the tape was likened to grinding metal. The plane was never seen
again, but widely reported, all over the world, ca 1967.
So yeah, an UFO can be that 737 flying overhead, but there IS evidence for the
other sort. I ask people "Do you believe alien abductions?" and I am pleased when
they say no. And then I tell them of this one.

ps Hawkings isn't an expert on anything other than black holes and cosmology.
He isn't the guy to ask, that's called "Appeal to authority."

ChristineM

Premium Member
We asked our co-worker Valentich "What happened with those tapes that were
sent to NASA?" He told us the radar and audio tapes were returned to him with
the note that NASA "cannot explain" them. There were ground witnesses to the
light aircraft being "orbited" by some green glowing blob (?) as the plane headed
out to sea. The plane's controls were then locked, according to the pilot and the
last sound on the tape was likened to grinding metal. The plane was never seen
again, but widely reported, all over the world, ca 1967.
So yeah, an UFO can be that 737 flying overhead, but there IS evidence for the
other sort. I ask people "Do you believe alien abductions?" and I am pleased when
they say no. And then I tell them of this one.

ps Hawkings isn't an expert on anything other than black holes and cosmology.
He isn't the guy to ask, that's called "Appeal to authority."

Unexplained, does not mean alien, it means unexplained.

When one considers the distances involved, the energy and time required, other parameters such the quantity of possible planets, and the insignificance of our planet one tends to put their aluminium foil hat in the bin. Note the significance of cosmology here.

You can derail the thread if you want, me i will stick to its premise of "quotes from scientists"

821b5f4f454bcdb10eea72ce5a7f0654.jpg

Many years ago i did an animation of an alien visiting earth to visit the most dominant lifeform here. They flew past humans, flew past dogs and cats, flew past insects, bees, ants. They event came to the most numerous, dominant lifeform. The virus, they stopped, observed and saw that it was good.

Alas i can no longer find the piece to show.