• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quote of the day

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"Laughter is spiritual health. And laughter is very unburdening. While you laugh, you can put your mind aside very easily. For a man who cannot laugh the doors of the buddha are closed. To me, laughter is one of the greatest values. No religion has ever thought about it. They have always been insisting on seriousness, and because of their insistence the whole world is psychologically sick."

~ Osho

http://bretcohen.com/blog/blog/osho-quotes-on-laughter

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From a recent article about transgender receiving extra scrutiny from the Federal Aviation Administration......
"....the process may not be fair for everyone in the cockpit."

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"When you fail to be less than kind to others, you punish yourself, there and then, and deny yourself the opportunity to achieve inner peace and happiness, there and then. When you are loving others there is a good chance of achieving inner peace and happiness, there and then."

~ Spinoza

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
th

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“A human being is a part of a whole, called by us ‘universe,’ a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures [including ourselves!] and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

~ Albert Einstein

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"When you feel genuinely happy within yourself, you are FAR more likely 2 treat others with kindness & compassion."

~ Anon

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart."

~ Socrates

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“Happiness is a butterfly, which, when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you sit down quietly, may alight upon you.”

~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

Jedster

There is but one all pervading spirit, and it is called the truth, It exists in all creation , and it has no fear, It does not hate and , it is timeless, universal and self-existent!
, You will come to know it through seeking knowledge and learning.

Guru Granth Sahib (Sikh scripture)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"I believe strongly that one of the primary goals of religion is to teach people to like themselves and feel good about themselves. All my experience has taught me that people who feel good about themselves will be more generous, more forgiving of others, less defensive about their mistakes, more accessible to change, and better able to cope with misfortune and adversity."

~ Harold Kushner

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"Until you have learned to be tolerant with those who do not always agree with you; until you have cultivated the habit of saying some kind word of those whom you do not admire; until you have formed the habit of looking for the good instead of the bad there is in others, you will be neither successful nor happy."

~ Napoleon Hill

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have a paradise in a few years.”

~ Bertrand Russell

Treks

There is but one all pervading spirit, and it is called the truth, It exists in all creation , and it has no fear, It does not hate and , it is timeless, universal and self-existent!
, You will come to know it through seeking knowledge and learning.

Guru Granth Sahib (Sikh scripture)

That's a very interesting translation. Where did you find it, jio?

Jedster

That's a very interesting translation. Where did you find it, jio?

What is jio?

The Mool Mantar, the opening line of the Guru Granth Sahib and each subsequent Raga:

Gurmukhi: ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ॥
Transliteration: ikk ōankār sat(i)-nām(u) karatā purakh(u) nirabha'u niravair(u) akāl(a) mūrat(i) ajūnī saibhan gur(a) prasād(i).
English: "There is but one all pervading spirit, and truth is its name! It exists in all creation; it does not fear; it does not hate; it is timeless and universal and self-existent, You will come to know it through seeking knowledge and learning!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism

Edited to add : Do you have a different translation?

Last edited:

Treks

What is jio?

The Mool Mantar, the opening line of the Guru Granth Sahib and each subsequent Raga:

Gurmukhi: ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ॥
Transliteration: ikk ōankār sat(i)-nām(u) karatā purakh(u) nirabha'u niravair(u) akāl(a) mūrat(i) ajūnī saibhan gur(a) prasād(i).
English: "There is but one all pervading spirit, and truth is its name! It exists in all creation; it does not fear; it does not hate; it is timeless and universal and self-existent, You will come to know it through seeking knowledge and learning!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism

Edited to add : Do you have a different translation?

Jio is an affectionate spin on the respectful suffix 'ji'.

The "standard translation" of the Mool Mantar is:

Ik▫oaʼnkār
One Universal Creator God

ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ
saṯ nām
The Name Is Truth

ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ
karṯā purakẖ
Creative Being Personified

ਨਿਰਭਉ
nirbẖa▫o
No Fear

ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ
nirvair
No Hatred

ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ
akāl mūraṯ
Image Of The Undying

ਅਜੂਨੀ
ajūnī
Beyond Birth

ਸੈਭੰ
saibẖaʼn
Self-Existent

ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
gur parsāḏ.
By Guru's Grace

But the one you found, which is sadly not referenced in Wikipedia, is very interesting. It's more an interpretation than a translation, but it's very good nonetheless. :)