• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question for everyone who has meet a jw in person

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
:shrug: Maybe sometimes. Every group has good people and bad people.
Although my real life encounters with JWs are more often than not less than civil.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I hear that jws are some of the most loving people you could ever meet face to face.Is that true?:)
I have found JWs to be representative of humanity, you have vain egotistical types, lovers and liers, humble and proud amongst them.

I have not experienced anything which sets them apart from other sects.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I hear that jws are some of the most loving people you could ever meet face to face.Is that true?:)

Depends on the JW. They are like regular people. Many are nice but some are not so nice and self righteous. Some put on a show of being nice because that is what is expected of them and some are genuinely nice. As per religious people in general, their level of niceness is more reflective of their base personality rather.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I used to know a JW person...

She was neither notably loving nor notably unloving

Just an normal, ordinary person

Probably loving to her family, probably less loving to her acquaintances (such as myself)

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
No. They are however among the most peaceful. They take their pacifism really serious. (And will violently kick anyone out who isn't. ;-)

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
No. They are however among the most peaceful. They take their pacifism really serious. (And will violently kick anyone out who isn't. ;-)

Something just occurred to me...

They are pretty passive aggressive even in their publication and use of the bible. So they are nice to a person, but might make remarks about how "blind" people are or that they are lead by Satan.

Also, they do pray for the end to come, in which case they are OK with God killing the majority of the earths population through Jesus, and the anointed, some who are the JW leaders.

The passive aggressiveness is really irritating.

The last point probably means that there are no truly pacifist group out there, especially if they are fundamentalists.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Not in my experience. Most that come to my house door to door are open and friendly but I worked 2 years with a JW and he was forceful and bitter, he was the man of the house and treated the family as such (in his words). I heard after I left he eventually was divorced by his wife, who also took his kids. He of course may have been an exception but is the only JW I know outside of them coming up to my door. All this comes from his words to me. I personally never met his family.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Something just occurred to me...

They are pretty passive aggressive even in their publication and use of the bible. So they are nice to a person, but might make remarks about how "blind" people are or that they are lead by Satan.

Also, they do pray for the end to come, in which case they are OK with God killing the majority of the earths population through Jesus, and the anointed, some who are the JW leaders.

The passive aggressiveness is really irritating.

The last point probably means that there are no truly pacifist group out there, especially if they are fundamentalists.
I don't think that (passive) aggressive arguing is militant. I can use aggressive language and condemn physical violence at the same time.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I don't think that (passive) aggressive arguing is militant. I can use aggressive language and condemn physical violence at the same time.

That is true.

In my mind a pacifist is a person who is against violence at all times. Whereas a person who is only pacifist for a period and hoping for militant intervention in the future isn't actually a pacifist.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I have met several Jehovah's Witness at the front door, considering i resented their intrusion into our family life i won't go into the evils of door knocking to proselytise.

The only JW i really knew was my childhood friends mother, who converted to become JW. Loving? I think not considering she broke up the family because her husband and son would not convert. She walked out on her family, how loving is that?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Not judging by @Deeje :D

But of course every religion has its oddballs. The JWs that come round to try to evangelise me I've always found to be vey patient and friendly, if misguided.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Not in my experience. Most that come to my house door to door are open and friendly but I worked 2 years with a JW and he was forceful and bitter, he was the man of the house and treated the family as such (in his words). I heard after I left he eventually was divorced by his wife, who also took his kids. He of course may have been an exception but is the only JW I know outside of them coming up to my door. All this comes from his words to me. I personally never met his family.
Yes, we do have our “men are the boss” chauvinist types, but thankfully they are a few dinosaurs of a by gone era.....if you remember back to the 40’s and 50’s, “the man of the house” was served by his dutiful, compliant wife and his well disciplined children (who did not want a session behind the woodshed)......but that is not the kind of headship that the Bible promotes.

There is order in the family because, as we can see in any organised group, there is usually a CEO and a second in command so that peaceful function can be maintained....but in the family, headship is not dictatorship. A husband takes the lead, but it is always with the welfare of his entire family in mind. He is encouraged to take the wishes of his wife and other family members into full consideration. He is not the “boss” but more the coordinator of family life, backed up by a wife who would is his trusted assistant.....that is the model, but humans are humans in their interpretation of that model.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I have met several Jehovah's Witness at the front door, considering i resented their intrusion into our family life i won't go into the evils of door knocking to proselytise.

The only JW i really knew was my childhood friends mother, who converted to become JW. Loving? I think not considering she broke up the family because her husband and son would not convert. She walked out on her family, how loving is that?

Not loving at all......but I’m sure you did not have all the details. This is certainly NOT the norm in our brotherhood, in fact a man or woman who did anything like that without scriptural grounds (adultery, physical abuse or having their mental well being seriously affected) would be counseled with a view to mending a rift, and reuniting a family, but after many attempts to help, they may even be disciplined if there was no response to that loving counsel. Separation can be an option in certain circumstances, but unless there was adultery, no divorce with a view to remarriage, is scripturally acceptable. (According to Jesus’ words)

Marriage is God’s forever arrangement for us, with only two ways to dissolve that union...(adultery or death)....so our divorce rate is quite low in a world where marriage sometimes doesn’t last much longer than a very expensive wedding day......if they bother to get married at all. We value marriage.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Not judging by @Deeje :D

LOL.... you mean not rolling over and playing dead when someone wants to suggest that my God doesn’t exist? :rolleyes:

I am passionate about my faith, but my ‘aggression’ is not motivated by anything but a need and right defend my faith when science or anyone else wants to challenge it.

But of course every religion has its oddballs. The JWs that come round to try to evangelise me I've always found to be vey patient and friendly, if misguided.

But of course we would never find people that we converse with to be that way....? :confused: Oddballs are everywhere....even outside of religion....even in science. :p

We are human you know.....imperfect like everyone else. The seriousness of our message does not depend on who delivers it, though we do try hard to be sincere in our approach, since the message we bring, we believe is lifesaving.

If the Hunchback of Notre Dame came to your door to warn you of an approaching disaster, would you feel justified in ignoring his warning just by his appearance, even though you could see for yourself that something was very wrong with your surroundings, indicating the distinct possibility that he could be right.....? :shrug:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not loving at all......but I’m sure you did not have all the details. This is certainly NOT the norm in our brotherhood, in fact a man or woman who did anything like that without scriptural grounds (adultery, physical abuse or having their mental well being seriously affected) would be counseled with a view to mending a rift, and reuniting a family, but after many attempts to help, they may even be disciplined if there was no response to that loving counsel. Separation can be an option in certain circumstances, but unless there was adultery, no divorce with a view to remarriage, is scripturally acceptable. (According to Jesus’ words)

Marriage is God’s forever arrangement for us, with only two ways to dissolve that union...(adultery or death)....so our divorce rate is quite low in a world where marriage sometimes doesn’t last much longer than a very expensive wedding day......if they bother to get married at all. We value marriage.

After she walked out i had no idea if she was councelled or not. I do know that her husband would have taken her back at any time until his death but was unwilling to become a JW.

And why should her abandoned husband be disciplined anyway?