• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions on the big bang expanding universe.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
As long as cosmological scientists haven´t come up with a consensus Theory of Everyting, you should hold a much lower profile.

You don't seem to be paying much attention to what I'm saying. I've already pointed out the theory of everything problem and that GR can't be considered to be the final theory (#643). I've also pointed out (same post) that I'm not actually telling anybody what the right hypothesis for the origin of the universe is.

What I am saying is the GR is a very well tested theory and if we take it seriously we arrive at the space-time manifold "block universe" model. By virtue of the fact that GR is well tested, this has got to be more likely than anything based on faith or intuition.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You don't seem to be paying much attention to what I'm saying. I've already pointed out the theory of everything problem and that GR can't be considered to be the final theory (#643). I've also pointed out (same post) that I'm not actually telling anybody what the right hypothesis for the origin of the universe is.

What I am saying is the GR is a very well tested theory and if we take it seriously we arrive at the space-time manifold "block universe" model. By virtue of the fact that GR is well tested, this has got to be more likely than anything based on faith or intuition.
Naw, I am going to stick with guesswork. Well that and the lottery. I have to win sooner or later!

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Is this just rhetoric and projection or can you support your claims for once?
Anyone with a critical approach and a little bit of logical sense can see what is going on in much of the modern cosmology.
Nope, we don't need a Theory of Everything to see that we do know something. You really should try to understand the scientific method and how we advance using it.
Well, then don´t give anyone the impression of knowing everything when most of the scientists just knows something.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Anyone with a critical approach and a little bit of logical sense can see what is going on in much of the modern cosmology.

Well, then don´t give anyone the impression of knowing everything when most of the scientists just knows something.
So rhetoric and projection it is.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
You don't seem to be paying much attention to what I'm saying. I've already pointed out the theory of everything problem and that GR can't be considered to be the final theory
I AM really paying attension :) And NOW you seem to hold a more low profile and a more humble attitude to "your stuff".:)

ratiocinator

Actually, they can't. There is a lot to learn if you want to make sensible, scientifically literate comments on cosmology. It's a complicated subject that involves a lot of mathematics. Reading pop-science isn't enough, let alone watching scientifically illiterate propaganda on youtube.

ValdresRose

I would like to learn what others believe the big bang universe is expanding into? I only want to talk with those who are prepared to explain their own understanding directly, not second parties, and I don't intend to read articles by others that may be posted or linked to on this thread. .Thank you for your understanding.

Did you get anything useful yet? I don't have time to read all the garbage so if you got what you needed I'll abstain.

ratiocinator

No not if the teachers, students and proponents lacks a critical and logical sense

The problem here is that anybody can say that there are logical problems but, in practice, you have totally failed to point out any.

gnostic

The Lost One
Are you in the habits of contradicting yourself, or in the habits of moving the goalposts, @ben d?

You wrote in 2 posts below, that it was never about religion but it all about “logic” (highlighted in red):

There is no problem, you create one by insisting on the need to have a beginning to existence.. There was no beginning, eternity is all there ever is, was, or ever will be. This is not about religion, this is logic. It is only the mortal mind's limited perception being projected onto the whole of existence that is not logical.

It has nothing to do with religion, it has to do with logic. Sure, there may be evidence that suggests such and such may be an explanation, but I want to see something more than evidence that suggests, I want evidence that meets the standard of proof before I would accept it as being true. And I am very patient.

But in the above post you want evidence to meet your agenda or your personal preference (highlighted in violet).

Evidence is part of the observed reality, in which some models are used to explain the reality, and not simply because what you want.

You only care about your fantasy, not the reality.

Any model can be potentially right or factual or it could be potentially wrong or false...hence the needs for evidence, observation and testing.

And there are standards in science, that proposed models must all pass requirements of the standards.

Since the physical cosmology - the study of the origin and evolution and the nature of the observable universe - comprise of multi-disciplines in physics (eg astronomy, astrophysics, Relativity, Particle Physics, Quantum Physics, etc), then they would all fall under both PHYSICAL SCIENCES and NATURAL SCIENCES.

Meaning, The standards for natural sciences, are -
  • Methodological Naturalism,
  • Falsifiability,
  • Scientific Method,
  • Peer Review.
Essential to all of the above, the models (eg hypotheses) must be testable and tested, and the only way to test these models, are through observations and evidence.

It is the reality of the evidence that will weed out weak or false hypotheses, or verify hypotheses being possible candidates of scientific theory. But that’s only possible if a hypothesis passed all 3 requirements: being falsifiable/testable, tested (Scientific Method) and reviewed by independent scientists (Peer Review).

The evidence are what needed to objectively determine the values of the models, and not wants of yours.

Then in the next 2 posts, you speak of “intuition”:

I trust my actual intuition over any hypothetical possibility of something can come from nothing.
My intuition says that you don't understand time, nor does anyone who treats time as an entity.

You do you realize “logic” is about “conscious reasoning”, while intuition “is not conscious reasoning”, don’t you?

If you are being “logical” than you are not using “intuition”. And if you are being “intuitive”, you are not using “logic”.

LOGIC and INTUITION are opposite to each other. You are being contradicting.

And as far as from the 4 quotes above, you have not being logical.

ValdresRose

If you are being “logical” than you are not using “intuition”. And if you are being “intuitive”, you are not using “logic”.

This is a very useful comment. If we stay on that path we gain greater insight into solving the problem. The question was; What are the Galaxies expanding out to? (I would like to learn what others believe the big bang universe is expanding into?), that is the question stated by the OP.
The evidence appears to indicate that the Galaxies are expanding, and that supports the original Theory. The evidence also appears to indicate that the Galaxies are accelerating away form a point of origin. When an object explodes the acceleration stops when the force acting on the parts drops to zero. From that point forward we only have speed (velocity), unless a part of the original object is acted on by another force. That does not support the Theory,

So how do we resolve this? Has it been determined where the point of origin was, i.e., where the Supermassive Stellar Body actually existed and what direction it was going when it appeared to explode? Certainly we can't assume the SMSB was stationary.

Colt

I would like to learn what others believe the big bang universe is expanding into? I only want to talk with those who are prepared to explain their own understanding directly, not second parties, and I don't intend to read articles by others that may be posted or linked to on this thread. .Thank you for your understanding.
I think the universe expands and contracts, it respirators. We ae observing its current expansion cycle.

ratiocinator

The question was; What are the Galaxies expanding out to? (I would like to learn what others believe the big bang universe is expanding into?), that is the question stated by the OP.
The evidence also appears to indicate that the Galaxies are accelerating away form a point of origin.
Has it been determined where the point of origin was, i.e., where the Supermassive Stellar Body actually existed and what direction it was going when it appeared to explode?

As has already been explained, this is entirely the wrong picture. It's not that something 'exploded' at a point in space and stuff expanded from it into something that already existed. It's space itself that is expanding (points within it are getting further apart) and it doesn't need anything to expand into (it might already be infinite anyway). There is no point of origin (or, to look at it another way, everywhere is the point of origin). If we look back in time, points within space get closer together, and eventually the distance between them will approach zero.