• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about my version of atheism

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
yea i agree. i asked that because you said you donot understand concept of God in your previous reply to my questions. i think we can not understand God. we can understand the concept though. we talk about it. how could we talk about God or No God if we did not get the idea of a Creator?

Well, we can understand our concepts, but sometimes our concepts don't do the actual thing justice. We have concepts like omnipotence which mean something to us, and can be comprehended in a superficial way by us, but contain so many contradictions by our standards that something that actually was omnipotent would surely have to be beyond our comprehension. By definition, though, we can always understand a concept, because a concept is man-made.

It's like the difference between understanding the Earth and understanding a house. We can easily understand the house because we made it, but the Earth is a completely different story.

you can google it i guess. there are many sources about LDs, OObes . however i don't believe how western people explain that stuff.

OK, no problem. It's just that you sounded like you had done some research on it, and might have some reading material readily available. I'll have to remember to look that up sometime.

.lava

Veteran Member
Well, we can understand our concepts, but sometimes our concepts don't do the actual thing justice. We have concepts like omnipotence which mean something to us, and can be comprehended in a superficial way by us, but contain so many contradictions by our standards that something that actually was omnipotent would surely have to be beyond our comprehension. By definition, though, we can always understand a concept, because a concept is man-made.

i agree with most of it.

we born, we die. but we can think of concepts such as after life and eternity. why?

maybe i would never understand this life, but so far i can see that there is nothing without a reason. science dig it. further it goes, it tells more about reasons.

that was my question to you. why are our minds able to get concepts that we can't individually achieve? why are we mortals capable of talking about immortality? why are our intellect able to go that far if we had nothing to do with it?

OK, no problem. It's just that you sounded like you had done some research on it, and might have some reading material readily available. I'll have to remember to look that up sometime.

i spent years on metaphysics. studied shamanism, had LDs, OOBEs and some other stuff. there is no source that i know that offers right info about these things. i would share with you if i knew. i can tell, physics and metaphysics are like siamese twins. no physical reflection without metaphysical affect or on the contrary.

GadFly

Look back over it and you'll see that your wording suggested that you were looking for an argument.

And as for your latter querie, I'd have to say that some things in this world are not logical. Don't misunderstand, though. That doesn't devalue them.

Just like many things in this world, unconditional love can't be explained in terms of science. There's the whole idea of lust, but that's not what I mean. In reference to organisations like World Vision, or Amnesty International, the fact that we can care for someone we've never met, half way across the world, and act of their behalf, makes no logical sense. We don't need to help these people. Yet such bouts of compassion, and "morality" are valued universally throughout humanity.

Religious beliefs are very much the same. They don't need to make sense for us to know that they're right.

I believe God caused the Big Bang, but I don't need to know the origins of God. Maybe God's so clever that he made himself. Does it really matter? All I know is that this world is awe made incarnate, and that during several points in my life so far, I've found volumes strength in the emptiest of places. That's proof enough for me.
DarkSun I have taken your advice and looked back over all responses that I made on this thread to see if I was indeed rude. Sincerely I found none. In a sense I agree with your observation that I would welcome an argument but rather than call it an argument, the term sincere intellectual discourse is the way it should be identified.

I do not argue for argument's sake. Having found Truth, I am seeking more of it and putting what I see as truth up for examination. That is what this forum is about and every effort of mine is spent here in an attempt to be courteous. That is why I asked that if anyone could identify where I had been rude, tell me about it. No one really identified any real rudeness on my part. I still don't see where the rudeness was but I think I understand where the disrespect and personal attacks on me have come.
Since I understand the personal attacks, I forgive those who have attack me and can live with that.

DarkSun, have you read or heard about Plato's Cave Allegory? About everybody that attended college probably remembers the story. It is a classic. It's about a man tied in a cave so he could not see the daylight outside the cave. He had a confused opinion of life outside the cave because he had been in darkness for so long. He believed what he experienced in the cave was reality. Please read the story and you will get more meaning out of it than I can relate to you here. But as the man's eyes adjusted to the light so he could see reality outside the cave, his eyes hurt. That's what I think has happened on this thread. I have documented these hurtful events from the responses on this thread but it would spark more contention than the monitors would appreciate if I flouted these. I'll probably be belittled for pointing this out.

What this explosion and net picking at me was, was like the old time preacher who said you could throw a rock into a pack of Dogs and the one that was hit would come out barking. Somebody said to me that if a person had the truth that he would not have to tell everyone. Maybe that's true but one thing for sure is that you will not be emotionally torn apart every time your challenged. Challenges will just role over your head.

There is no place I can go on these threads that the rocked dogs will not be. Check out all the threads on religion and politics. You'll find all injured dogs there barking just like here. As a young Christian the unbelievers used to confuse me and belittle me in discussions about God. If the atheist and agnostics sunk their teeth into you, you were called names and threatened and all manner of crazy stuff. Not all ateist and agnostics were doing this. Just a few were. What I found out was, it was their logic that was incorrect. Logic is as good as its premises. No sound and stable premises, bad behavior, bad science, bad theories, bad communication skills, bad government (communism), bad judges, bad rulers, bad marriages, bad parents,bad ethics, bad debates, etc. When you see fighting and confusion, don't blame it on a person, blame it on faulty logic. The wrong can not stand it. They might leave you alone unless your name is George Bush.

You can say about anything on these threads within reason, but if you question a person's premises, that is when you will be asked to leave. There is no way I have violated the rules of the forum but I'll leave just to keep the peace as there are other threads to explore. If, as in your case, someone addresses a thread to me, I will attempt to respond.But if you don' t like my answer, don't call me rude.
:clap the GadFly

DarkSun

:eltiT
DarkSun, have you read or heard about Plato's Cave Allegory? About everybody that attended college probably remembers the story. It is a classic. It's about a man tied in a cave so he could not see the daylight outside the cave. He had a confused opinion of life outside the cave because he had been in darkness for so long. He believed what he experienced in the cave was reality. Please read the story and you will get more meaning out of it than I can relate to you here. But as the man's eyes adjusted to the light so he could see reality outside the cave, his eyes hurt. That's what I think has happened on this thread. I have documented these hurtful events from the responses on this thread but it would spark more contention than the monitors would appreciate if I flouted these. I'll probably be belittled for pointing this out.

I have heard of it. My physics teacher used to quote it when he was talking about DeCart and a whole bunch of other people who talked about reality. This was in the first lesson when he wanted to introduce us to a few things. It was really interesting.

As a young Christian the unbelievers used to confuse me and belittle me in discussions about God. If the atheist and agnostics sunk their teeth into you, you were called names and threatened and all manner of crazy stuff. Not all ateist and agnostics were doing this. Just a few were. What I found out was, it was their logic that was incorrect. Logic is as good as its premises. No sound and stable premises, bad behavior, bad science, bad theories, bad communication skills, bad government (communism), bad judges, bad rulers, bad marriages, bad parents,bad ethics, bad debates, etc. When you see fighting and confusion, don't blame it on a person, blame it on faulty logic. The wrong can not stand it. They might leave you alone unless your name is George Bush.

I think that things are slightly worse over in the US than they are here. But I agree with you on the fact that those who discriminate others usually do so on a grounds of ignorance; having no real understanding about the beliefs they chastise or why. But it works both ways in my view.

Anyway, I have a slight points about some of the other things you said above, but in want of bringing this thread back onto topic, I'll leave it there.

Have a great Easter. I'm assuming it's still Easter over there. :p

ofir

Ok mball, here's one for ya.
I'm an atheist too, at least I consider myself one, and the only thing I still seem to have problems with is the actual way of living.
In my opinion the ultimate self-acceptance is to be aware enough of everything to be able to accept arguments, or any other thing, big or small, that just come up and tell me, in the most harsh way, that everything I know is wrong.
I myself seem to be there, but still, apart from making me much more apathetic, it didn't totally tore away every minor belief I had in a god....why is the doubt still there?
I can't live like that anymore!
It is driving me nuts!!
I believe that all this mess is only because our foolish society, for some reason, see it right to "educate" children in such maddening things.
plz show me a way to erase what I don't even believe in from my mind.

thanks.

blackout

Violet.
As I said, there is no reason for me to believe that there is anything beyond what we can perceive.

But if you believe that,
you will never percieve anything beyond
your current model of reality perception.

As we think...
so we percieve.

If you're not open to life
beyond your current model of perception and thinking,
you will never know/live/experience life
beyond that state of perception.

You and I may inhabit the same planet,
live in the same "country"
even the same town and economic demographic...
but trust me...
we do not percieve the same reality at all.

So whose paradigm is more "valid"?

ofir

But if you believe that,

As we think...
so we percieve.

ummm...yup, thats just about right.
whats wrong with that?
does it make life look too dull to be true?

blackout

Violet.
ummm...yup, thats just about right.
whats wrong with that?
does it make life look too dull to be true?

What do you mean by that ofir?
I would like to understand your "questions"...
what you are getting at.

From my state of perception
life is anything BUT dull!

ofir

I figured that
that's why I got to thinking you can't accept mballs claims. that life is what you see. nothing more.
I'm not trying to oppose anything, of course, but I'm trying to stimulate your mind a bit.

gnostic

The Lost One
Not all atheists are scientifically incline.

A lot of atheists that I have known personally in my life, have no interests in Evolution and the Big Bang, and therefore don't believe in them any more than they believe in a god.

Most of atheist friends are more business-incline, which is why they have very little interest in science, let alone Evolution and the Big Bang.

I just want to dispel the myth that "all atheists are Darwinists or scientists".

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But if you believe that,

As we think...
so we percieve.

Thing is, anything "beyond your current model" would be a part of the current model if and once it is perceived. So there technically is no "beyond" the "state of perception" --that's tantamount to asking people to grasp at invisible straws.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Thing is, anything "beyond your current model" would be a part of the current model if and once it is perceived. So there technically is no "beyond" the "state of perception" --that's tantamount to asking people to grasp at invisible straws.

Thank you. You said it better than I could.

I would just add that what I said doesn't mean I am closed to any possibilities. It just means that I have yet to experience possibilities such as those UV brought up. Maybe one day I will, and they will become part of my perception.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Ok mball, here's one for ya.
I'm an atheist too, at least I consider myself one, and the only thing I still seem to have problems with is the actual way of living.
In my opinion the ultimate self-acceptance is to be aware enough of everything to be able to accept arguments, or any other thing, big or small, that just come up and tell me, in the most harsh way, that everything I know is wrong.
I myself seem to be there, but still, apart from making me much more apathetic, it didn't totally tore away every minor belief I had in a god....why is the doubt still there?
I can't live like that anymore!
It is driving me nuts!!
I believe that all this mess is only because our foolish society, for some reason, see it right to "educate" children in such maddening things.

thanks.

Unfortunately, I can't do that. I know how you feel, though. If you grow up in a religion, it gets so drilled into your head that it can take many years to fully get out of. I didn't believe fully in Chritianity before I came here to RF, but it wasn't until I started here that I truly became an atheist.

Just as you can't force yourself to believe in anything, you can't force yourself not to sometimes. All I can suggest is to read a lot here, and ask any questions that may help you. Give it as much thought as you can. It might just be that after a while, you find that you just don't believe anymore. You might also find that you believe again. You might even find a different religion that suits you. In any case, he only way to do it is to be completely honest with yourself when sorting through this subject.

I'm sorry I can't give you better advice.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Read Joseph Campbell's four volume work, Masks of God. IF you can still believe in such silliness as what you grew up with after reading Campbell, you're a better man than most of us.

You might also want to take up a meditative practice. Not all forms of meditation might be suitable, but you should be able to find one that will help you.

ofir

I will look for it
thanks

as I mentioned before, I probably have every argument as to why not to believe in god, and I'm a very realistic and self-aware person. The problem is feelings and thoughts aren't the same, and I'm in a state in which my thoughts cancel my feelings out of knowledge and reason.
But as you probably know...canceling feelings with thoughts is more castrating than death itself!
The main assumption of doubting everything as a way of living is to blame.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But as you probably know...canceling feelings with thoughts is more castrating than death itself!

Good point! I don't think reading Campbell requires that of us, however. :) Campbell is not anti-religious, nor anti-intellectual.

ofir

of course you understand that if I was just looking to "silence the voices in my head" I'd just stick to a religion or any way of living. I'm looking to find something that complies with my reality and my beliefs.
(by beliefs i mean things i find right about this world)

I bumped into one of Josef Campbell's quotes that says something like god is the experience of looking at a tree and being filled with awe.
Realize I actually lived my life by this sentence up until, like, half a year ago when I noticed there is more wrong in this world, produced my humans of course, than right. Including all of this worlds wonders.
I actually used to try and convince ppl to look at this world with appreciation to everything....but now it seems so pointless to the point I find myself finding death\killing\murdering an integral part of life which was taken from us by modern civilization.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
of course you understand that if I was just looking to "silence the voices in my head" I'd just stick to a religion or any way of living. I'm looking to find something that complies with my reality and my beliefs.
(by beliefs i mean things i find right about this world)

Yes, I actually suspect I understand where you are coming from. That's why I've not only recommended that you read Campbell, but that you specifically read his Masks of God work. I think it might be tailor made to your situation. Campbell is not arguing for or against religion -- he is instead approaching religion in the spirit of a scholar who wishes to understand it. And the avenue of his approach is largely through a study of religious mythology. If you can come away from having read Campbell without anything of use to you, you will have accomplished a feat I thought impossible of a reasonable person like you.

Matt, I deeply apologize for hijacking your thread here. I'll cease at once.

ofir

excuse my absences...I'm from a different time zone... I can't always be here in reasonable hours :p