• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about my version of atheism

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I am an atheist, and I've seen some misconceptions lately about atheism in general. I can't speak for every atheist, but I can speak to questions about my version of atheism. If you have any questions regarding how at least one atheist sees things, here's a chance to ask. I will try my best to get to all questions in a timely manner, but, of course, I can't promise anything.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Perhaps it would help if you said something first.

What can I say? I believe there is no god, and that there is nothing more to life than what we currently perceive. Other than that, Idon't know what to say. It's just that people don't seem to have a grasp of what it's like to not believe in a religion. If you don't understand the term atheism for any reason, then I'm here to help, if I can. I don't profess to know all the answers, but I can give you my perspective at least, for what it's worth.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Why do you think there is no God?

Nothing in life has yet shown me that it must absolutely be attributed to a higher intelligent power. There are things that can't be explained, but there have always been things that can't be explained. Many of them which were explained by God in the past have been shown to be perfectly natural, and to fit into patterns described by science. So why not assume that other things that can't be explained yet, won't some day be explained by science in very human terms?

The things for which we still don't have answers aren't even best explained by a god. For instance, the creation of the universe. It's natural to assign that achievment to some higher power to explain it away. The problem is then, who created that "God" which created the universe? It doesn't end up answering the question, only bringing up the same one again, or new ones.

I can also see a logical progression of religion through the ages, all stemming from humans' desire to explain things. I see no other reason for religion to exist, but science seems to have taken over that job now, which leaves me with no more use for religion.

There is so much more to it, but that's the main part.

.lava

Veteran Member
hi,

for what reason do you think your mind give you the opportunity to understand the concept of a creator and next life?

how many things out there that does not exist and you call them with a certain name?

how do you define dreams if reality you accept is the current one? how do you explain being able to see with your eyes closed? (while asleep or awake)

Somkid

It would appear to me you fall in to the same category as most atheists. Is there something different about your atheistic view that most atheists don't agree with?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
hi,

for what reason do you think your mind give you the opportunity to understand the concept of a creator and next life?

I don't think I can understand, which is part of the reason I don't believe in one. It seems to me that a creator would give us the ability to understand it.

how many things out there that does not exist and you call them with a certain name?

I'm not sure I quite understand. Can you please rephrase? Sorry if I'm being dense.

how do you define dreams if reality you accept is the current one? how do you explain being able to see with your eyes closed? (while asleep or awake)

Dreams are memories, just put together in different ways. I think we can see with our eyes closed because everything we see gets stored as symbols in our minds. Our minds can then reproduce those symbols without visual subject matter.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It would appear to me you fall in to the same category as most atheists. Is there something different about your atheistic view that most atheists don't agree with?

Not that I know of, but I don't want to pretend that all atheists see everything exactly the same way. I'm sure some atheists see some things differently than I do, and I don't want to perpetuate overgeneralizations. So, I say all I can truly speak for is me. I think athesim has to start with the assertion that there is no god, just like theism starts with the assertion that there is one. Beyond that, in both cases, most people are probably going to see some details a little differently.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Must God be "an intelligent higher power," or could it just be "nothing more to life than what we currently perceive"?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Must God be "an intelligent higher power," or could it just be "nothing more to life than what we currently perceive"?

It could be, but I think that's strething it a bit. By that logic, you could make any word fit any definition you want. It's almost impossible not to believe in the life we currently perceive. I think the term "God" is there to signify something beyond what we can currently perceive.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think the term "God" is there to signify something beyond what we can currently perceive.
It is; but at the same time, there is no distinction to be made between what we can perceive and what we cannot. We perceive.

"Form does not differ from emptiness."

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It is; but at the same time, there is no distinction to be made between what we can perceive and what we cannot. We perceive.

"Form does not differ from emptiness."

Well, that is where we differ. There is a a difference to me. As we've discussed before, I believe that there is a difference between my dogs and my concept os my dogs. I can' see the one, but me experience tells me it's there.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well, that is where we differ. There is a a difference to me. As we've discussed before, I believe that there is a difference between my dogs and my concept os my dogs. I can' see the one, but me experience tells me it's there.
What do you dogs look like? Apart from your concept of them, I mean. What do they sound like, apart from your concept of their sound? What do they feel like, apart from your concept of how they feel?

GadFly

Nothing in life has yet shown me that it must absolutely be attributed to a higher intelligent power. There are things that can't be explained, but there have always been things that can't be explained. Many of them which were explained by God in the past have been shown to be perfectly natural, and to fit into patterns described by science. So why not assume that other things that can't be explained yet, won't some day be explained by science in very human terms?

The things for which we still don't have answers aren't even best explained by a god. For instance, the creation of the universe. It's natural to assign that achievment to some higher power to explain it away. The problem is then, who created that "God" which created the universe? It doesn't end up answering the question, only bringing up the same one again, or new ones.

I can also see a logical progression of religion through the ages, all stemming from humans' desire to explain things. I see no other reason for religion to exist, but science seems to have taken over that job now, which leaves me with no more use for religion.

There is so much more to it, but that's the main part.
I would not ask an atheist to explain many things. Nor, would I require God to explain very much either, as I am not able to conceive of 1/2 of the things I observe. You have only speculated as to why you do not believe in God. You have provided no evidence there is a God or not a God. If I was neutral on the matter, I see nothing to make me choose God or not.

What do you attribute the creation of the universe? Was it a none intelligent power that created the universe? The definition of God is the eternal one. He was not created. God simply is, which could be a problem for an atheist. There is more evidence that God is than there is that God is not. For example, you see a logical progression in religion. To reason on a logical progression is to recognize the eternal rules of logic. There are eternal rules and self evident truths. Where did they come from? Watch out, there might be a God!

I guarantee you there is a higher power than science, who use say has taken over.Your own logic is trying to inform you of God. Listen to it! Science would be non-existent without logic which came from the most basic premise of all, the Absolute Truth, which is God. Until you can explain God, it would be wise for you to not try to out think God. I look forward to you reply.
The Gadfly:sleep:

GadFly

Not that I know of, but I don't want to pretend that all atheists see everything exactly the same way. I'm sure some atheists see some things differently than I do, and I don't want to perpetuate overgeneralizations. So, I say all I can truly speak for is me. I think atheism has to start with the assertion that there is no god, just like theism starts with the assertion that there is one. Beyond that, in both cases, most people are probably going to see some details a little differently.

You missed it a little and did not stumble over the truth. Keep walking and you will. It will wake you up. You present no premise for existence as an atheist. No premise to logic. Don't you get it? God left you evidence to his existence. All atheist have this one mistake in common.
GadFly

GadFly

It could be, but I think that's strething it a bit. By that logic, you could make any word fit any definition you want. It's almost impossible not to believe in the life we currently perceive. I think the term "God" is there to signify something beyond what we can currently perceive.
Don't you think there is something beyond what we can not perceive? Now, what's that?