• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Judaism

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
According to our tradition, the Torah was written in the year 1313 BCE.

The Second Temple was lacking in anything related to prophecy. There was no Ark of the Covenant, Urim/Thumim, Divine Presence, prophecy, etc. At least one Rabbi speculates that idolatry and prophecy are two side of the same coin and by the beginning of the Second Temple era, there was no desire for idolatry anymore.
OK, so apparently, according to the Mishnah there was no Shekinah light in the temple built under Governor Zerubbabel's superversion, is that right? Not sure how you say it, I suppose when you said "Divine Presence" before, you could mean the Shekinah light?

YoursTrue

I don't know if there are guards as I've never been there. I have heard there's a fax machine though. There are still Hassidim of his who think he'll come back to life to be the Messiah and even some who think he never died...
But as I was saying earlier, overall, they represent a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the Orthodox Jewish world.
Well, there are two things to note here: One is that Mr. Schneerson hasn't come back yet, and two is I wonder if those Jews who think he will come back or never died, how does that fit in with unity of religion, or Jewish belief? Does that matter when it comes to unity of -- what? Please explain. Thank you, and thank you for your answers, I know a little more now about the building of the two temples, and a little about the differences. Of course I leave out the fax machine situation, I wonder now do they expect something to be miraculously, if that's the word, faxed from somewhere about Mr. Schneerson's situation? But that is not the primary question as far as I am concerned. More is about the idea of unity as necessary. How is this again, unity in what, and what is presumed that it will lead to?

Tumah

Veteran Member
OK, so apparently, according to the Mishnah there was no Shekinah light in the temple built under Governor Zerubbabel's superversion, is that right? Not sure how you say it, I suppose when you said "Divine Presence" before, you could mean the Shekinah light?
I meant the Divine Presence. I've never heard the phrase "Shekinah light" and there's no reason to confuse the conversation by using Hebrew terms.

Well, there are two things to note here: One is that Mr. Schneerson hasn't come back yet, and two is I wonder if those Jews who think he will come back or never died, how does that fit in with unity of religion, or Jewish belief? Does that matter when it comes to unity of -- what? Please explain. Thank you, and thank you for your answers, I know a little more now about the building of the two temples, and a little about the differences. Of course I leave out the fax machine situation, I wonder now do they expect something to be miraculously, if that's the word, faxed from somewhere about Mr. Schneerson's situation? But that is not the primary question as far as I am concerned. More is about the idea of unity as necessary. How is this again, unity in what, and what is presumed that it will lead to?
By unity I just mean brotherhood. We can have different beliefs and still find solidarity.
The fax machine is for people to send requests to the grave site, not for anyone at the grave to send out messages. But seriously there's a few thousand out of the hundreds of thousands who believe this. I don't get why you're so fixated on them. Or maybe I do, actually...

YoursTrue

I don't know if there are guards as I've never been there. I have heard there's a fax machine though. There are still Hassidim of his who think he'll come back to life to be the Messiah and even some who think he never died...
But as I was saying earlier, overall, they represent a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the Orthodox Jewish world.

No, not necessarily. We believe that every generation has someone who is capable of being the Messiah, so that as soon as we are worthy, he can immediately start the process. Rabbi Schneerson may have been one of these 'potential Messiah's'. There's just no way to know now.

Unity of the nation is necessary for the Redemption. What will happen is the Messianic Age, when all the Messianic prophecies come to fruition: in-gathering of the all the exiled to Israel, Messiah is appointed king, world peace, etc.
Is unity of the nation supposed to be necessary before Messiah's appearance? I understand about the promise (prophecy) of world peace. But when and how is unity supposed to occur?

YoursTrue

I meant the Divine Presence. I've never heard the phrase "Shekinah light" and there's no reason to confuse the conversation by using Hebrew terms.

By unity I just mean brotherhood. We can have different beliefs and still find solidarity.
The fax machine is for people to send requests to the grave site, not for anyone at the grave to send out messages. But seriously there's a few thousand out of the hundreds of thousands who believe this. I don't get why you're so fixated on them. Or maybe I do, actually...
OK, sorry, I didn't see your response about unity earlier. How would you have solidarity? I mean right now there are various segments of Jews, reform, conservative, orthodox, ultra-orthodox. What would unity entail? Thanks.
As for Menachem Mendel Schneerson, I found it interesting that so many,although you say only a small percentage, were proclaiming him as possible Moschiach and yes, I believe there were guards around his tomb, not sure about now. I believe there are many who put notes in the Wailing Wall at Jerusalem, similar to the fax machine requests, I suppose, with requests. So going back to the fax machine for a bit, and I'm not fixated just wondering, to whom are these requests sent? The grave site? Or do the petitioners think Menachem Mendel Schneerson hears and answers their prayers? Just wondering...but it's an interesting question.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is unity of the nation supposed to be necessary before Messiah's appearance? I understand about the promise (prophecy) of world peace. But when and how is unity supposed to occur?
Isaiah 43:5-6: “Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your seed from the east and gather you from the west. I shall say to the north, ‘Give up,’ and to the south, ‘Do not hold back, bring My sons from far and My daughters from the end of the earth.’ ”

Amos 9:14-15: “I shall return the captivity of My people Israel and they shall build the waste cities and settle… I shall plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be plucked out of their land that I have given them, says G‑d, your G‑d.”

Deut: 30:3-4: “G‑d, your G‑d, shall bring back your captivity… and He will return and gather you from all the nations whither G‑d, your G‑d, has scattered you. If your banished shall be at the utmost end of the heavens, G‑d, your G‑d, shall gather you from there, and He shall take you from there.”

Tumah

Veteran Member
Is unity of the nation supposed to be necessary before Messiah's appearance?
It's necessary if we want the Messiah to come faster.

I understand about the promise (prophecy) of world peace. But when and how is unity supposed to occur?
Whenever and however we get our act together.

OK, sorry, I didn't see your response about unity earlier. How would you have solidarity? I mean right now there are various segments of Jews, reform, conservative, orthodox, ultra-orthodox. What would unity entail? Thanks.
I'm not sure how to explain what brotherhood means, but I'm sure if you google it, you'll be able to get an idea and then apply it to this situation.

As for Menachem Mendel Schneerson,
You've gone from calling him Rabbi Schneerson, to Mr. Schneerson and now you're on first name terms with him.
I'm not a follower of that sect, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to respond to you.

I found it interesting that so many,although you say only a small percentage, were proclaiming him as possible Moschiach
Moreso when he was alive than after his death. I don't know the numbers but I'd be surprised if even half the sect thought so today.

and yes, I believe there were guards around his tomb, not sure about now.
I haven't heard about any guards at his tomb ever. Not really sure why there would have been if there were.

I believe there are many who put notes in the Wailing Wall at Jerusalem, similar to the fax machine requests, I suppose, with requests.
Maybe. I'm not really sure why anyone puts notes in the Wailing Wall. I don't know of any source for it.

So going back to the fax machine for a bit, and I'm not fixated just wondering, to whom are these requests sent? The grave site? Or do the petitioners think Menachem Mendel Schneerson hears and answers their prayers? Just wondering...but it's an interesting question.
There's a Hassidic custom of sending written requests for prayers to the Grand Rabbi (meaning the Grand Rabbi would pray to G-d on behalf of the petitioner). I assume if they think this is along that custom.

YoursTrue

Isaiah 43:5-6: “Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your seed from the east and gather you from the west. I shall say to the north, ‘Give up,’ and to the south, ‘Do not hold back, bring My sons from far and My daughters from the end of the earth.’ ”

Amos 9:14-15: “I shall return the captivity of My people Israel and they shall build the waste cities and settle… I shall plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be plucked out of their land that I have given them, says G‑d, your G‑d.”

Deut: 30:3-4: “G‑d, your G‑d, shall bring back your captivity… and He will return and gather you from all the nations whither G‑d, your G‑d, has scattered you. If your banished shall be at the utmost end of the heavens, G‑d, your G‑d, shall gather you from there, and He shall take you from there.”

So do you believe unity of the Jews, and not the divisive politics in Israel and other differences throughout the Jewish world religiously or secularly that are now, will come? After all, it's been a couple of thousand years since Herod's temple was razed. Do those scriptures lead you to believe there will be another temple built?

YoursTrue

It's necessary if we want the Messiah to come faster.

Whenever and however we get our act together.

I'm not sure how to explain what brotherhood means, but I'm sure if you google it, you'll be able to get an idea and then apply it to this situation.

You've gone from calling him Rabbi Schneerson, to Mr. Schneerson and now you're on first name terms with him.
I'm not a follower of that sect, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to respond to you.

Moreso when he was alive than after his death. I don't know the numbers but I'd be surprised if even half the sect thought so today.

I haven't heard about any guards at his tomb ever. Not really sure why there would have been if there were.

Maybe. I'm not really sure why anyone puts notes in the Wailing Wall. I don't know of any source for it.

There's a Hassidic custom of sending written requests for prayers to the Grand Rabbi (meaning the Grand Rabbi would pray to G-d on behalf of the petitioner). I assume if they think this is along that custom.
I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Sorry if that's how it seemed. As far as brotherhood goes, apparently it seems you do not have brotherhood now, do I have that right as far as your belief goes?

Tumah

Veteran Member
I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Sorry if that's how it seemed. As far as brotherhood goes, apparently it seems you do not have brotherhood now, do I have that right as far as your belief goes?
That's right. Except when there's a tragedy.

YoursTrue

That's right. Except when there's a tragedy.
My mother-in-law was Jewish. And she belonged to a synagogue that went to the ocean on Yom Kippur to sacrifice a chicken or something like that, I can't exactly remember. Of course, not all Jews I knew did that.
She also said that if you ask a person 3 times for forgiveness of a sin and they don't forgive you, the burden is on the unforgiving person, not the sinner.
But now here is my question about that, including unity -- I would think there are many that are disobeying the law of Moses. So what then is necessary for unity? That is one question. And why is it so important to God for the Jews to have unity, which goes back to the first question. Why is unity so important to God, in other words, what again will happen if all the Jews have unity, and what IS unity? You say they're united when a tragedy hits (the Jews, I suppose you think). But how are they united? By feeling bad about it?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
My mother-in-law was Jewish. And she belonged to a synagogue that went to the ocean on Yom Kippur to sacrifice a chicken or something like that, I can't exactly remember. Of course, not all Jews I knew did that.
You are actually remembering two different observances.
1. Kapperios/Kapperot is the tradition where Jews swing a chicken over their head for atonement the night before Yom Kippur. The chicken is then slaughtered and given to the poor.
2. Tashlikh is a Yom Kippur ritual where bread crumbs are scattered on a body of water for the fishes to eat. It is to remind us that God will cast our sins into the sea and remember them no more.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Do those scriptures lead you to believe there will be another temple built?
those particular texts indicate the return of all Jews out of diaspora to the land of Israel. This has begun, but is in no way complete. Only about half the Jews of the world live in Israel.

Neutral Name

If you are interested in a discussion of this, the concept of where, once the temple was established, most sacrifices were allowed to be made, in what spiritual state and by whom, plus any discussion of atonement and the sins for which sacrifice was at all efficacious, and the textual explanation for what to do now that sacrifices cannot be offered, I would recommend posting a question in the Judaism DIR which would be a good place for you to learn some of these essential aspects of Judaism.

Why did the Israelis stop doing the daily sacrifices?

Thank you. I'm not sure who you are talking to because I don't know who wouldn't know this but if they don't, they should ask.