• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Americans voting in upcoming election.

What is the most important issue for you in deciding how to vote?

• Environment/Climate Change

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • The Economy

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • immigration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Character and Competence of leadership.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Criminal Justice System

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Government Corruption

• Other

• Total voters

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
LGBTQ+ rights and sensitivity, as I feel it's an important subject to me.

Also, not screwing up the health care system.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have one stand-alone issue that will decide my vote. My vote will be decided by how one intends to address several issues, including a few above, and how credible they are in their intentions.

Too bad multiple votes aren't allowed.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Government corruption (Big Oil, MIC, Big Pharma, Big Agriculture, etc). Which is why I avoid voting republican due to capitalist/corporate policies.
I'd normally say Climate change being the biggest topic that needs addressed.
But if you can't get rid of the corruption and corporate ownership of our government, you'll never make progress on addressing the climate problem.

Our government is run by corrupt mega-corporations. That needs to stop. The freebies and entitlements for these industries need to stop.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

And why?

Economy is always #1.

The reason is it is often root of all other problems.

1) Climate issues and environmental issues require funding in research and labor to address.

2) Immigration is largely handled better with more resources to devote to processing both legal and illegal immigrants. Things generally get delayed, slip through the cracks, or complicated when there is a shortage.

3) Character and competence. It's too subjective. Leftists will feel Trump is doing a bad job when at worst (mathematically) he's at least been doing a decent job on every front. The Right will largely see Democrats as morally bankrupt, but again that doesn't mean some of them don't do their jobs well regardless. It's better to not even put this in your mind and go to evidence based decisions on this. The country is neither worse nor drastically better because of Trump that means he is doing the work -- he may not be stellar, but he's certainly holding the fort. BTW, I do support Trump, but I'd love Tulsi to get a chance to spar with him on the debate floor -- it'd be a great show. Probably won't happen because the Democrats rig their nominee, unlike the Republicans. (Really, the only thing I think is DRASTICALLY better than the Democrats super-delegates bull****.)

4) Criminal Justice reforms are beyond the scope of the Presidency, though he or she can make recommendations to Congress, Senate, and other branches of the government. I don't really think it means anything in the context of a candidate other than to vocalize where they stand.

5) Government corruption is generally beyond the office of the President as well. Again, the power is limited to making recommendations. Sometimes, they can lend support through their appointees mobilizing the agencies they control -- that's about it. Anyway, it's somewhat silly to think that the government can sanely investigate itself -- fox guarding the hen house scenario right there. That's what our ballots are about.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I voted for "Character and Competence In Leadership" because the one that's president now lacks both, so we so badly need someone in there who is basically honest, competent, and knowledgeable enough to know what and what not to do. If were to get so lucky, then the others should fall into place.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I voted for "Character and Competence In Leadership" because the one that's president now lacks both, so we so badly need someone in there who is basically honest, competent, and knowledgeable enough to know what and what not to do. If were to get so lucky, then the others should fall into place.
I've lived long enough to experience many Presidents and many leaders in various fields.

"Integrity is the mother of many virtues". To me honesty is an inseparable part of integrity.

Presidents will make stupid mistakes being of course human. But competent leaders know how to recover from blunders including being honest about them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

And why?

It wasn't on the list, but foreign and military policies would be important issues. I voted "the economy," since it's probably the more immediate issue at present; while the other issues are also important, but more long-term concerns.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't have one stand-alone issue that will decide my vote. My vote will be decided by how one intends to address several issues, including a few above, and how credible they are in their intentions.

Ditto.
Foreign policy doesn't get a mention?
The effects of wars on the economy & civil rights (of our victims) is enormous.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Agreed... too many issues to just rely on one as more than the other so no vote for me. Additional issues, foreign policy, governmental debt, and others.

pearl

Economy is always #1.

I think that's a yes and no depending on who it serves. Most Americans are not share, stock holders and do not directly benefit from an economy that benefits the top percent. When pay increases for these grow along with a strong economy its good for all.
Maybe what ought to be added to the list is for 'the soul of America'.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I think that's a yes and no depending on who it serves. Most Americans are not share, stock holders and do not directly benefit from an economy that benefits the top percent. When pay increases for these grow along with a strong economy its good for all.
Maybe what ought to be added to the list is for 'the soul of America'.

If the top 10% gain, we gain on taxing them collectively -as far as public resources. As long as we keep this low unemployment salaries will go up, so yeah, it does "trickle down" in many ways.

But, don't feel sorry for the <90% or think they're being ripped off -- they've decided that safety is better than risk, and that's why they are where they are. Life is easier if you wake up every day to a conventional job and you know as long as you show up you're getting X money. Entrepreneurs wake up and have no idea what they'll make. That's the trade -- you get a safe comfortable life for a smaller share of the rewards... and honestly... it makes a great deal of sense that it works that way...

Mind you, nothing is stopping you from taking that other path other than yourself. So, again, won't feel pity or whatever people try to stoke to evade that simple amount of truth. Want proof? Look up every rich guy you see now -- there was some point, probably in their early twenties, where they completely wiped out their finances. No one really talks about it, but it's happened so many times... For some people, like Trump it happened later... But, it still happened... How often do you or anyone you know ever put that amount of risk on the table? That's the key difference in a nutshell. These people don't owe you anything they've paid many times through personal hardship for those levels of personal gain. They pay most of the taxes too -- despite what other people claim...

PureX

Veteran Member
Until we stop the corruption of our government caused by legalized bribery, none of the other "issues" matter, because no one in government is paying any attention to them unless and until they get paid to. And the people paying the bribe money don't care about any of these "issues". All they care about is increasing their own wealth.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If the top 10% gain, we gain on taxing them collectively -as far as public resources.
Why would you think this?
Do you think Trump is the only billionaire who has a phalanx of lawyers who keep him from paying income tax? Do you think he's the only "smart" one?
Tom

PureX

Veteran Member
Why would you think this?
Do you think Trump is the only billionaire who has a phalanx of lawyers who keep him from paying income tax? Do you think he's the only "smart" one?
Tom
I don't think Trump is a billionaire, at all. I think the reason he's hiding his taxes is that he doesn't want us to see that he's been a total loser at business, and the only money he has came from foreign banks for nefarious reasons, and from selling his name and "Richie Rich" look-alike image to other, mostly foreign, corporations.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't think Trump is a billionaire, at all. I think the reason he's hiding his taxes is that he doesn't want us to see that he's been a total loser at business, and the only money he has came from foreign banks for nefarious reasons, and from selling his name and "Richie Rich" look-alike image to other, mostly foreign, corporations.
I don't know what Trump is really worth.
What I am talking about is the premise that rich people pay much tax.
Tom

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't know what Trump is really worth.
What I am talking about is the premise that rich people pay much tax.
Tom
They aren't going to pay their share of taxes so long as they can bribe the government to let them not pay for less than the taxes would cost them.