• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose in Life

Butterfly Christie

Agnostic Atheist
Hi! While I've explained non-religious morality just based on reason in my last thread. *Link* I think purpose in people's lives go hand in hand with it. I'd like to see what people think purpose in life is, and if you think you have the ability to know, what is yours. I'll say what I think it is. I'm coming from an Atheist's / Secular Humanist's perspective.

While purpose can be seen as a relative concept that is what makes it beautiful, it's in our hands. It's relativity doesn't stop us from having it. Human life has purpose because we have the ability to conceive of the notion of purpose. When a being can experience this, they by definition have it. The human mind can experience love, happiness, and importance. This means we can live by what makes us feel all these things that brings us well being. Once we have found something that makes us feel that we have found a purpose.

Do you know what the odds are of us experiencing and being aware as humans, compared to every other form of matter and substance out there? The odds go through the roof, not only that, they go through the galaxy. Everyone alive today is incredibly lucky to be here today so they should enjoy it while it lasts. For all we know this could be our only shot at experiencing. Since we don't know what happens after we die and this may be it, that makes this life infinitely more important.

I actually love existing, because I get to laugh in the face of the sheer probability I wouldn't exist. It's a breathless sort of exhilaration knowing how long a shot it was, and how tiny my blip of time is. I'm making the most of it by maximizing human happiness in as many other people as possible.

Since there is no sign of any supreme beings it actually hands power to you and challenges you to make yourself matter to someone. The best and most universally beneficial way to do this is by helping other people.

I've been a Christian for 20 years and I know how it wonderful it feels to think that there is some higher being out there watching over us, its a nice blissful feeling, but truth stays the truth no matter what we want to believe, like if we want to believe in something that makes us feel more comfortable.

I get the same inspiring and wonderful feeling knowing that I am here today because of billions of years of living beings giving their all to pass on their genes the next generation. Thats makes us all incredibly special. Now a species is at a point where they can experience a love greater than altruism, and thats us.

What it means when we find out there is no God is, that same amazing feeling of specialness and the feeling of spiritual contentment never came from a God, but from within ourselves. We never needed a God to tell us we are special to feel it because everything we ever felt from that was already in us to begin with. God only acted as a placebo effect. The mind is capable of the most amazing experiences. What this means is we have the ability to direct that kind of experience towards things that are true; things that have real meaning.

I don't know what's really going to happen to me after I die. I haven't seen good evidence either way to truly tell. I don't know if we can tell. However something to think about is whether it's an afterlife, whether I'm here but in another form, or I simply stop thinking, I know hundreds of trillions of other humans have gone the same route I'm going to go, and countless other life forms have gone the same route. Our species evolved dieing the entire way here. So whatever happens to me I can know it will be as much a natural part of me as me existing in this world right now.

It's things like this inspire that me:

"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."

~ Quote by Neil deGrasse Tyson, Astro Physicist PhD
[youtube]VOzkEwaMnaE[/youtube]
YouTube - Neil deGrasse Tyson - The Universe

“Every aspect of Nature reveals a deep mystery and touches our sense of wonder and awe. Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries.”

~ Carl Sagan, PHD Astrophysicist

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

~ Douglas Adams

"Life is love, enjoy it; Life is a dream, realize it; Life is a challenge meet it; Life is a game, play it" - books by Joy Thomas

When I stopped being a Christian and actually started to study science to see the world around us its even more amazing than I could have imagined being a Christian and probably more than the human mind is capable of imagining because there are so many "I-don't-know's" out there and its very possible there are a lot out there simply because the human mind wasn't evolved to comprehend it. That makes it all the more exciting to me.

The universe is truly humbling, wonderous, and beautiful from a humans perspective and can make us feel insignificant. Also it can make us realize how incredibly lucky we are to be here as sentient beings, so we should enjoy it.

However what brings amazing significance to me, more than the sheer vastness of the universe makes me feel insignificant, is what we are today, and what we are capable of being in the future if science is allowed to advance.

Our purpose in life in my opinion is to follow our instincts and be disciplinned enough to not be influenced by others but to make our own decisions.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think we have to make a purpose for life, it isn't simply handed to us, and I don't go for that Christian thing, that our purpose is to worship God for his pleasure and enjoyment.

I think life's purpose is this- To love, be kind, help others, and enjoy good times with good friends. That's all :)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
My personal belief is that life runs in a certain way. We have to build to figure out how to keep life running, just like a machine, but the more we build to keep life running, the more we have to build to keep what we build running.

For example, I believe this will solve life, to make life run:

Liberalism.
Pacifism (99.99% AGAINST VIOLENCE)
Lack of hatred.
Meditation.
Science.
Faith AFTER obvious.

That's pretty much it.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Life is what it is. To give purpose to it is simply what humans feel the urge to do, not because it has to be done.

Butterfly Christie said:
While purpose can be seen as a relative concept that is what makes it beautiful, it's in our hands. It's relativity doesn't stop us from having it. Human life has purpose because we have the ability to conceive of the notion of purpose. When a being can experience this, they by definition have it. The human mind can experience love, happiness, and importance. This means we can live by what makes us feel all these things that brings us well being. Once we have found something that makes us feel that we have found a purpose.

Interesting, but here is how Buddhism looks at this:

"Suffering is caused by craving. This is often expressed as a deluded clinging to a certain sense of existence, to selfhood, or to the things or phenomena that we consider the cause of happiness or unhappiness."

Meaning that the everlasting search for those so called good sensations is actually a part of the reason for our suffering ( according to how i understand it, of course ).

Butterfly Christie said:
Do you know what the odds are of us experiencing and being aware as humans, compared to every other form of matter and substance out there? The odds go through the roof, not only that, they go through the galaxy. Everyone alive today is incredibly lucky to be here today so they should enjoy it while it lasts. For all we know this could be our only shot at experiencing. Since we don't know what happens after we die and this may be it, that makes this life infinitely more important.

This is also a very interesting point. I would call this situation a coin or maybe a dice. And you are only looking at only one side of it and pretending there is no other.

Suffering and Pleasure happen both to all humans. Non living things can not experience joy, but also can't experience pain. To say that this existence may be better than others is to assume far too much. Who knows? I could also go as far as saying that some animals may indeed appreciate life a lot more than any human can ever dream of.

Also, if there is no afterlife it doesn't turn our life more important. You see, i think that just because we give meaning to things it doesn't mean they have inherently a meaning. Let me further explain: You are stating that life is important even if this is our only life. But after you die you can not think of it as important ( according to your belief ) because your consciousness does not exist. So in the end, when you die the meaning you gave to life also dies with you. There is no meaning in life, it just is what it is, it just exists because it does.

Butterfly Christie said:
Since there is no sign of any supreme beings it actually hands power to you and challenges you to make yourself matter to someone. The best and most universally beneficial way to do this is by helping other people.

YOU are the one challenging YOURSELF. And YOU are the one accepting it.

Butterfly Christie said:
I've been a Christian for 20 years and I know how it wonderful it feels to think that there is some higher being out there watching over us, its a nice blissful feeling, but truth stays the truth no matter what we want to believe, like if we want to believe in something that makes us feel more comfortable.

Fact, but who is that can say for granted to know the truth about everything?
The truth is that nobody knows the truth.

Butterfly Christie said:
I get the same inspiring and wonderful feeling knowing that I am here today because of billions of years of living beings giving their all to pass on their genes the next generation. Thats makes us all incredibly special. Now a species is at a point where they can experience a love greater than altruism, and thats us.

That is amazing AND completely irrelevant if you pay attention to it. Tell me of an human can do an act that even a stone will "applaud" it! Tell me of an human who can do an act that even the sun will thank them! The universe could not care less of our doings. They are of no use to no one else besides us. It is US giving them importance that makes them important.

Butterfly Christie said:
What it means when we find out there is no God is, that same amazing feeling of specialness and the feeling of spiritual contentment never came from a God, but from within ourselves. We never needed a God to tell us we are special to feel it because everything we ever felt from that was already in us to begin with. God only acted as a placebo effect. The mind is capable of the most amazing experiences. What this means is we have the ability to direct that kind of experience towards things that are true; things that have real meaning.

There is no such thing as real meaning, unless you believe in God, of course.
For someone who believes in God, the real meaning of something is the way God sees it as being. If you don't believe in God, which is your case, then there is no difference between real meaning and "others" meanings, given that either were made up by ourselves and we are neither Intellectual nor Morally up to the Perfection standards we have.

You can, surely, try to give a "real" meaning to whatever you believe, but it makes you no different from those who think God gives the real meaning to things.

savethedreams

I don't understand 'why does life need a purpose?" that almost doens't make sense to me like the word "salvation" saved from what?

BruceDLimber

According to the Baha'i Faith, our purpose here is twofold:

· As individuals we are to acquire the spiritual virtues we'll need both here and in the Next Life.
· In aggregate, we're to carry forward an ever-advancing, spiritually-based civilization.

And the purpose of religion is to show us HOW to go about this!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Purpose is either not needed, or if it's needed, it can be whatever one decides for it to be.

According to the Baha'i Faith, our purpose here is twofold:

· As individuals we are to acquire the spiritual virtues we'll need both here and in the Next Life.
· In aggregate, we're to carry forward an ever-advancing, spiritually-based civilization.

And the purpose of religion is to show us HOW to go about this!

Bruce
Sounds like an infinite loop unless there is something to be obtained that is good in and of itself.

BruceDLimber

Sounds like an infinite loop unless there is something to be obtained that is good in and of itself.

No problem whatever!

Not only is advance of civilization something clearly beneficial, but arranging an excellent start in the Next Life (not to mention exhibiting spiritual virtues here and now) is hardly to be sneezed at!

As always, you're most welcome to disagree, but I question what sort of circumstances you in fact advocate if you reject advantageous progress such as these!

Peace,

Bruce

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No problem whatever!

Not only is advance of civilization something clearly beneficial, but arranging an excellent start in the Next Life (not to mention exhibiting spiritual virtues here and now) is hardly to be sneezed at!

As always, you're most welcome to disagree, but I question what sort of circumstances you in fact advocate if you reject advantageous progress such as these!

Peace,

Bruce
It's not that I reject advantageous progress.

It's that I don't think it constitutes purpose. People working to improve themselves and their society has the goal of happiness, or more specifically, eudaimonia or human flourishing. So if anything, under that sort of worldview, the purpose could be said to be for people to be happy.

It's not really purpose. It's just basic.

emptybe

Om Mani Padme Hum
My personal belief agrees with the Dalai Lama:

“I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.”

-Dalai Lama

savethedreams

Purpose of life is to serve god and enjoy life, how to do you serve god? by doing no harm to anything...... its not complicated lol that just according to me......

BruceDLimber

nder that sort of worldview, the purpose could be said to be for people to be happy.

It's not really purpose. It's just basic.

Which in no way prevents this from being the purpose!

Meaning no offense, I'm afraid you're just quibbling over wording.

The point holds.

Bruce

lunakilo

I am not sure that life has a purpose, but I agree that life can sometines feel 'right'.
When I look at my children for example, life feels 'right' to me.
When I am with my friends, life feels 'right'.

What purpose in life is I don't know, and I don't really care.
If life feels 'right' to me that is enough.

Also, if there is no afterlife it doesn't turn our life more important. You see, i think that just because we give meaning to things it doesn't mean they have inherently a meaning. Let me further explain: You are stating that life is important even if this is our only life. But after you die you can not think of it as important ( according to your belief ) because your consciousness does not exist. So in the end, when you die the meaning you gave to life also dies with you. There is no meaning in life, it just is what it is, it just exists because it does.

'your consciousness does not exist [when you are dead]' and ' when you die the meaning you gave to life also dies with you'

I happen to to believe that when you die your consciousness is gone to, so your own thourghts on the matter are of cause gone. But you are not alone in this world. All the people you have interacted with while alive have been influenced by you in some way, big or small. So you leave a mark on the world even after you are dead.
One of the things you may have passed on is you ideas of what the purpose of life is :)