• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protesters clash over transgender rights at Koreatown spa

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dueling protesters clash outside Koreatown spa over transgender rights

Dueling protesters clashed outside a Koreatown spa Saturday over a recent incident involving transgender rights, prompting Los Angeles police in riot gear to be dispatched to the scene.

Police ordered the crowd to disperse after fights broke out between the two groups in front of Wi Spa in the 2700 block of Wilshire Boulevard about 1:45 p.m., according to police and videos posted on Twitter and other social media.

“Demonstrators have now cleared the scene,” Officer Mike Lopez of the Los Angeles Police Department told City News Service. “Pretty much everyone complied with the order to leave.”

The demonstrations were apparently spurred by an incident that occurred last weekend at the spa. An irate customer posted a video on Instagram under the name Cubana Angel and it quickly went viral.

Apparently, the incident happened last weekend and was posted to social media, which prompted protesters to show up yesterday.

The woman in the video complains to staff at Wi Spa that a man had walked into the women’s section and showed his genitals to young girls, according to the video posted on the social media platform. The customer the woman complained about reportedly identified as a woman.

“He is a man,” the woman can be heard saying. “He is not a female. There are girls down there, other women who are highly offended by what they just saw and you did nothing. You sided with him.”

Wi Spa defended its policy in a statement to Los Angeles Magazine.

“Like many other metropolitan areas, Los Angeles contains a transgender population, some of whom enjoy visiting a spa,” the statement said. “Wi Spa strives to meet the needs of all its customers.”

Protesters opposed to the spa’s policy demonstrated in front of the building early Saturday but were met by counter-demonstrators holding a “No Bigotry in L.A.” rally. Members of each group then began fighting with each other and police were dispatched to the scene.

The owners of the spa say they were just following state law.

Violence breaks out over trans rights at Koreatown spa | KTLA

Demonstrations over transgender rights sparked clashes between protestors and counter-protestors in Koreatown on Saturday after a video went viral of a woman upset that a trans woman disrobed in the women’s section of a popular spa.

Footage of the encounter between the two sides showed people shoving each other, attempting to take away protests signs and throwing objects like eggs.

One side was heard yelling things like “Go home trans-phobe” and the other saying “save our children.”

The video that sparked the protest shows the upset woman speaking to employees at Wi Spa, located at at 2700 Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles’ Koreatown neighborhood.

The woman asks an employee why the spa allows a person who identifies as a woman but has male genitalia to be exposed in the women’s section of the spa when there are underage girls in the room.

“He is a man,” the woman says repeatedly. “He is not a female, sweetie. … There are girls down there, other women, who are highly offended (by) what they just saw and you did nothing. Absolutely nothing. In fact, you sided with him.”

The Wi Spa employee defends the trans client. As a crowd gathers, another client also confronts the woman, defending the trans client.

“There ain’t no such thing as transgender,” the woman continues.

In a statement, Wi Spa said it is complying with California law prohibiting discrimination, citing the statute.

“California law prohibits discrimination against transgender and gender non-conforming people in business establishments,” the spa stated.

“Like many other metropolitan areas, Los Angeles contains a transgender population, some of whom enjoy visiting a spa,” the statement continued. “Wi Spa strives to meet the needs and safety of all of its customers, and does not tolerate harassment or lewd conduct by any customer, regardless of their sex, gender, or other characteristic.”

On Saturday, videos circulating on social media showed the violence that erupted between the two sides after a protest was called outside the spa.

The Los Angeles Police Department responded to the scene but said no arrests were made. Videos showed officers calling for protesters to disperse.

A total of five people were injured in the commotion: Three subject to assault and battery, while two were assaulted with a deadly weapon, according to police.

There was one video showing a guy yelling "Jesus hates everyone! Jesus hates everyone!"

Life in these United States.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm confused. A pre-op transgender woman walked to a spa that allowed nudity and got hatred?

I don't understand based on the quoted material.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm confused. A pre-op transgender woman walked to a spa that allowed nudity and got hatred?

I don't understand based on the quoted material.
It seems that the problem is gender segregation.
If the 2 (assumption for the moment) genders are
to be separated while naked, then there is indeed
a real problem if the trans woman isn't so trans.

BTW, I have no solution to this.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

That makes sense if I understood your post correctly.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I've actually thought about it --- and I have no answers, either. :shrug:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've actually thought about it --- and I have no answers, either. :shrug:

Here's my transgender perspective on the matter:

I believe that just thinking you're a woman and trying to live a real lifestyle as one, even if it doesn't involve taking hormones or dressing up, as being a trans woman. And that they're valid.

However, I don't believe this idea, should be forced on anyone who doesn't see things this way.

So while the terminology is correct for the person calling themselves a trans woman. If they don't come off as any different than a male, I find myself nodding my head in agreement to Revoltingest's post on segregation as it affects the broader picture.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Lol, now "trans rights" is down to the "right" to show your penis off infront of women and girls. It's a movement of pervs at this point, at least that's how they're presenting it to the wider world. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
So a person with a penis walks into a locker room and waves it around in front of young girls. The police are called and when they arrive the person tells them she is a transgender woman. Apparently the police can do nothing.

But if the person tells the police, "No, I'm not a transgender woman" he is arrested and charged with indecent exposure.

Something seems amiss, eh?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
So a person with a penis walks into a locker room and waves it around in front of young girls. The police are called and when they arrive the person tells them she is a transgender woman. Apparently the police can do nothing.

But if the person tells the police, "No, I'm not a transgender woman" he is arrested and charged with indecent exposure.

Here's the part that stumps me. The spa supported the transgender person. If they were really doing this the way outlined, which is a crime, you'd think the spa would investigate. Unless the business is corrupt.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here's the part that stumps me. The spa supported the transgender person. If they were really doing this the way outlined, which is a crime, you'd think the spa would investigate. Unless the business is corrupt.
Another view....
What's more dangerous to a spa?
1) Being prosecuted for illegal discrimination by the state.
And being picketed for not respecting trans women.
2) Suffering loss of business due to a trans female
brandishing her roscoe?

#1 looks worse for a spa.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

That's what happens when all we have to go on is the person's word and how dare you "invalidate" them. If a man with a beard tells you he's a woman, you must believe him or you're an evil bigot who must be destroyed.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Another view....
What's more dangerous to a spa?
1) Being prosecuted for illegal discrimination by the state.
And being picketed for not respecting trans women.
2) Suffering loss of business due to a trans female
brandishing her roscoe?

#1 looks worse for a spa.

That might... kind of.... make sense.

I'm afraid I don't have enough information to say one way or another what's going on in the subject. And it seems like such an important subject too. If it turned out some perv exposed himself then called himself transgender to escape going to jail, I have no sympathy for him. People like that should really be locked up. But there has to be sufficient evidence of that too.

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I think they feel a bit helpless in this situation, because they'll get attacked no matter what they do.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
That's what happens when all we have to go on is the person's word and how dare you "invalidate" them. If a man with a beard tells you he's a woman, you must believe him or you're an evil bigot who must be destroyed.
This was my fear as the country began to try and figure out how to allow transgender people to live openly and freely, while also not allowing others to exploit the situation.