• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pros and cons of global warming

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The winters here at Minnesota are brutal. I wouldn't be bothered at all if it got warmer here.

The cons are, it could make us all go extinct. If that's the worst thing that could happen, is it really all that bad? :D

What are some more pros and cons?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The winters here at Minnesota are brutal. I wouldn't be bothered at all if it got warmer here.

The cons are, it could make us all go extinct. If that's the worst thing that could happen, is it really all that bad? :D

I suspect climate change is going to end up being catastrophe for some, beneficial for others. I don't think we have much choice, I don't think there is much we can do at present to affect it anymore than we already have. So barring science coming up with an actual solution, which I'm hoping for, it's something we are going have to deal with either successfully or unsuccessfully. Some groups or countries will win out, others won't. Individually we can only face each situation we find ourselves in the best we can.

So pro, things will change. Con, things will change. I suspect how effectively we end up dealing with that change will determine whether climate change is a pro or a con on an individual basis.

Jumi

Pros:
Weather will be more interesting.
People will need to rely more on science to survive.
The rich will probably capitalize on it

Cons:
It will be difficult to stop once the ball gets rolling. When shtf, it will be too late reverse
Mass extinctions of wildlife, people fleeing now uninhabitable areas to northern and southern countries.
Food and fresh water shortages...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Be careful what you wish for.
Warmer weather brings....
Tropical diseases
Fire ants
Killer bees
Naegleria fowleri (the brain eating amoeba)

sealchan

Cons: Increase in disease, rapidly shifting economic factors, large scale human suffering...

This is all exasperated by the likelihood that, at some point, there will be a more rapid, quantitative shift at intervals rather than only a gradual one and crossing that systemic change in phase space is likely to be globally painful in the extreme.

Its a bit like Russian roulette. Besides, what will this mean for all the Alaska based reality TV shows?

Oh yeah, I'll bet the Russians want Siberia to become the new breadbasket of the world...sorry California...

Milton Platt

An interesting way to look at a global crisis. I'm sure there are localized, or individual benefits, but do they outweigh the probable global downsides?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
There aren't any pros if it continues. Eventually it'll reach a point where we can't stop it, and those cold places that would become tropical paradises would be underwater.

Milton Platt

There aren't any pros if it continues. Eventually it'll reach a point where we can't stop it, and those cold places that would become tropical paradises would be underwater.

come on now....You're only saying that because it's true......:p

GoodbyeDave

Do you really want to be overun with refugees from the Bible Belt?

The chief problem for the UK will be the cost of protecting some costal cities from rising sea level. A recent analysis shows our climate will wind up like that of Madeira, so the west of England will change from cattle pastures to fields of tropical fruit and vegetables, while the barren hills of Wales and Scotland will become vineyards.