• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problem with atheism

AfterGlow

Invisible Puffle
Now to your statement, what you state is largely true, but not completely so. It is true for the Abrahamic tradition, but not true for religions that brink on philosophy.

For example, the oath of a Yogi (a person on a path of self discovery) encourages him or her to examine and then literally reject all he or she knows. Evidently, there is no truth other than self discovered truth.

The oath is:
"Bhu sannyastha maya" (The physical world which includes the body and all objects of the world is renounced)
"Bhuva sannyastha maya" (The astral world which includes the emotions and all ancestors is renounced)
"Sva sannyastha maya" (The celestial world which includes higher thoughts and all gods is renounced)

So you see, there is a tradition of examination, even if not popular or well known. After reading this, I couldn't help but keep thinking about the last oath. Gods are renounced??
I was speaking primarily of the Abrahamic faiths yes. But even in dharmic faiths where there are supposed to be these traditions of examination and testing, especially in Buddhism, well, have you ever asked a Buddhist monk if it's ok not to believe in rebirth? He'd look at you as though you were mad.
That's because although examination and testing of teachings is encouraged, it's expected of you to conclude that the teaching is correct. If you don't then you haven't examined it correctly or for long enough to see the "evident truth" of the teaching. So, although it looks promising on the surface, and is great for us Western spiritual explorers, for most native believers it is simply a different method of indoctrination.

Are people really aware? I think that is a presumption. If people were really aware they would not place implicit faith in doctors (remember thalidomide). Till five hundred years back, people believed that the world was flat because the scientist told them so. And till very recently, in fact even now in some places, we believe that fossil fuels are good for us because they are good for the economy and for a long time the scientists told us so.
This is a bit different to the Big Bang and science we were talking about. Medical science has to have exceptionally thorough testing before it is accepted as valid, so usually if a doctor tells you a drug is ok it's because of innumerable clinicle trials, whereas if a physicist tells you that the universe rests on the surface of a hyperspatial p-brane or that the 3D universe is in fact a holographic projection of events taking place on it's 11-dimensional surface, you have a better reason to take his theories with a pinch of doubt.

The problem with most religion vs science debates is that the loony bins of the religious world are pitted against the brilliance of science. Why not also look at the profound discoveries of science and sometimes at the failure of science.
Because pointing out past failures, or outdated theories of science does nothing to educate the religious loonies, it only strengthens their faith in what they already hold to be true by devaluing science further in their eyes.

Also, most of the younger people I speak with here are either unaware or refuse to accept the fact that in almost all traditions till very recently the priests were the scientists.
Monsignor Georges Lemaître, the man who propounded the Big Bang theory was a priest. The tradition of religion and science going their separate ways if fairly recent. And we all know how bitter separations can be :)
Yes, but such people are also usually the type who hold non-literal interpretations of the Bible and more abstract conceptions of God than the average Bible carrying Creationist on the street.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Your information is not updated.

First, "it started from a singular infinitely dense particle" is now a rejected theory. What you are referring to is Lamaitre's "hypothesis of the primeval atom". However, given its several flaws it is now more or less losing favour within the scientific community.
I defer to AfterGlow on these subjects.

It would appear, if you worked backwards in time to the point just before the Big Bang, you would not arrive at an "singular infinitely dense particle" but a particle that condenses continuously till such time it has condensed to infinity. In physics, that is as close to 'nothing', as you can get. It also means, that the theory has failed beyond this point.
But "as close to nothing as you can get" is still not "nothing". Also, why does this mean the theory has failed?

A new theory has now been proposed. The "eternal inflation theory" by Andrei Linde (Stanford university), that has now split the scientific community. There are other theories too, however, inflation seems to be the present favourite.
Again, I defer to AfterGlow.

However, there is a radical shift in approach now. For one, Linde proposes that there was "no big bang" at all. In fact, between matter first appearing (yes, physics states that matter just appeared in the universe from nothing,
Please provide sources.

closes guess from energy, where energy came from no one knows)....Prof. Michio Kaku of New York (this is not a direct quote.

Prof. Param Singh (Perimeter Institute) suggests that the universe is not expanding.
Then Prof. Param Sigh is demonstrably wrong.

However, all agree that matter appeared from nothing (or energy) and that the laws of physics only come into effect ten to the power minus thirty fourth of a second after the big bang.
Again, this is a common misconception. They do not agree that this is when the laws of physics first appeared, but this is the earliest possible instant at which we at least assume the laws of physics apply. We currently have absolutely no way of knowing what, if anything, preceded it.

Before that, not only time but all laws of physics as we know them have to be suspended to even have a working hypothesis (actually its an estimation right now) to explain the existence of the universe.

So what you have here is that the laws of physics if applied to explain how physics came into existence, along with everything else, would fail.
Because we don't yet have the means to know.

Incidentally, new estimations now claim that there are, in fact, ten to the power of ten to the power of ten to the power of seven multiple universe. And we occupy only one.
Sources?

Basically, physics is in reality only as close as religion in explaining the coming into being of the universe (the only difference being that with time now we have fancier words of current popular culture to explain....nothing. Just like religion used the fancy words of its popular culture to explain...nothing). What physics can do is measure 'effect', wind the clock back and guess what happened.
And yet physics actually allowed us to understand the origin of the universe up to the planck time of the big bang - which is infinitely more than religion ever has or ever could tell us. What, exactly, is your point?

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
First, I just want to point out that not all atheists share this point of view. When I use the term atheist, or atheism, I'm only referring to the select group who shows no tolerance for other beliefs.

Now, if what a Christian does defines what Christianity is, why doesn't what an atheist do define atheism? Is that not a double standard?

Why is atheism free from being labeled by what other atheists do, if all other belief forms are? How is that even fair? It isn't.

But the problem here is that no one wants to take responsibility. Major religions in our would will sever ties with members if they reflect poorly on the religion and atheism is no different.

That and atheism is not a belief.

redcom11

But "as close to nothing as you can get" is still not "nothing". Also, why does this mean the theory has failed?

For about fifty years the Big Bang theory was the accepted explanation of the birth of the universe. However, in the last ten years certain 'missing links' in the theory have forced scientists to reconsider.

The simplest way to explain this is to by first looking at the way science, specially this branch, has arrived at many conclusions. It is primarily 'effect analysis'. You observe an effect and then try to come up with theories that answer its existence. The theory need not answer all aspects of the effect. Usually, the theory which answers most facets is taken to be the most 'likely' to be true.

So while, Big Bang does address some effect observations, it does not answer all. The most apparent effect it answers is, the universe is seemingly expanding. So how does one arrive at the Big Bang from there? You chart the path of moving galaxies and wind back the clock and draw a line backward, in reverse direction of the galaxy's path.

When you do this for several of them, you will arrive at a region where eventually all galaxies seem to converge. This implies that all celestial bodies were closer and closer together as we go back in time. So far so good.

However, if we continue to keep going back in time, they not only get so close that they are touching each other, but logically they start meshing and merging in to each other. Further back, they collapse into each other. Till such time you first arrive at a pin point size of all mass and then this mass has to be small to the level of infinity....nothing. The arrival at infinity in physics implies that beyond this point the theory has failed. That is a scientific conclusion, not my arbitrary observation.

That is why, to explain anything before this point one has to suspend the concept of time, matter and energy. They do not act as we observe them to act today.

So for fifty odd years this apparent failure of the theory was brushed aside by arguing that since we do not know the very nature of time and matter before this point, it is really of no significance and not a subject to really be thought about.

But that is not where the problem ends, in fact, its just the beginning. There are several other aspects of this theory that don't work. As a result, more and more main stream scientists are now seeking alternative explanations.

Please provide sources.

Prof. Andrei Linde, Stanford University.

Then Prof. Param Sigh is demonstrably wrong.

Firstly, I did not spell his name correctly. It is Pariyam Singh. And he is not wrong. Or rather, he is as right or wrong as the Big Bang theory. Keep and open mind.

Pariyam's work is to try and resolve a contradiction in two 'well established' scientific formula. Quantum mechanics (which applies to the functioning of the smallest particles) and classical physics (which applies to larger masses). When these two are applied to the universe, they contradict each other, rather as scientists put it 'don't talk to each other'. Singh has now floated the Big Bounce theory.

He says that the universe contracts and expands repeatedly. We are just observing the expansion part now. And this is an unending cycle. The Big Bang was just a small part of it. He does not believe in the Big Bang theory. Very few of his colleagues now do.

Again, this is a common misconception. They do not agree that this is when the laws of physics first appeared, but this is the earliest possible instant at which we at least assume the laws of physics apply. We currently have absolutely no way of knowing what, if anything, preceded it.

Laws of physics, being universal laws, should theoretically, apply at all times. However, there are a million ways to put what physics did or did not do before the big bang. It is universally accepted that the laws did not exist in the way we conceive and explain them today if the theory is to be held true.

In reality, we have no means of telling what happened 13.7 billion years ago, let alone before that. What we have is the observation of effect and then some very complex mathematics to try and explain this observation. All these theories are mathematical equations. All the time, the person trying to put these equations together is trying very hard that they don't come apart. Its like a detective arriving at an unsolved scene of crime that took place billions of years back.

The prime suspect, Billy Big Bang, it turns out now, has proven himself innocent. However, we are not letting him go, till such time we find another suspect.

Prof. Linde. Dr. Laura Mersini Haughton and a thousand others.

And yet physics actually allowed us to understand the origin of the universe up to the planck time of the big bang - which is infinitely more than religion ever has or ever could tell us. What, exactly, is your point?

I am not talking about religion. I am just applying the same logic to science as you do to religion...and want to see what happens.

You had said, "religion is the stuff that fills the cracks that are left by science" or something to that effect. I am just trying to ascertain how strong the foundation of science is and how big are these cracks. Are they cracks or are they chasms or canyons.

outhouse

Atheistically
Till such time you first arrive at a pin point size of all mass and then this mass has to be small to the level of infinity....nothing

im sorry but you seem to be lacking in a few areas on the subject.

the universe and big bang theory doesnt ever state it all started from nothing, but you have.

The arrival at infinity in physics implies that beyond this point the theory has failed

WRONG you are interpreting the theory wrong

So for fifty odd years this apparent failure of the theory

despite your ramblings the theory is still the best we have and followed by mainstream science

more and more main stream scientists are now seeking alternative explanations.

they are not seeking alternitive explanations, they are still trying to figure more about the theory we have at hand.

Prof. Linde. Dr. Laura Mersini Haughton

stands behind the big bang

she is however working on a wave theory of her own that fits in with the big bang combined in a multiverse.

she is looking, but has a long way to go before she has anything solid.

one must commend her for her great work.

if you dont know the work, one should not reinterpret it for her

Are they cracks or are they chasms or canyons.

no one has ever claimed science doesnt have allot to learn

we know the universe is expanding but the size of the material upon initial expansion has never been nailed down, some have guessed but thats it.

all of which has nothing to do with religion or belief or a lack of belief

The point being made is we dont have to reach for religion to fill in the gaps of what we do not know regarding science. That is a primitive mistake man has made for to many years.

would you not agree??

Sum1sGruj

I don't believe that weak atheism is a belief, but strong atheism certainly is. Making an ultimate judgment on the origins of reality most certainly hits the same wall as theists.
The only difference between them is that they have two different speculations.

The problem with atheism is that it commonly tries to bump heads with theism, and fails miserably even though it would never digress and admit it. Such is what theism is often accused of doing. We will never know beyond a doubt's shawdow's shadowy doubt in the middle of doubt town so I really never understood why atheists even fight with us theists.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
but strong atheism certainly is

a belief about what, you are only assuming

I have no belief of a deity, i hit no wall.

The only difference between them is that they have two different speculations.

there is no speculation, only levels of education

The problem with atheism is that it commonly tries to bump heads with theism

I dont find this to be true, my only gripe is keeping religion out of science as it has no place there at all, religion also has no place in a science classroom at all.

religion is the forcefull group, atheist dont go out and murder abortion doctors or anyone at all as a group like religious groups do. Atheist have never started a war, unlike most mainstream religions

I think you have the roles reversed

fails miserably even though it would never digress and admit it

are you stating because we cannot change the minds of some brainwashed people [if we even tried] that we are failing something we dont do as a group????

why atheists even fight with us theists.

never seen a atheist knock on anyones door and ask to come in and preach science the way some abrahamic religions do.

I have many religious friends including YEC's

redcom11

I was speaking primarily of the Abrahamic faiths yes. But even in dharmic faiths where there are supposed to be these traditions of examination and testing, especially in Buddhism, well, have you ever asked a Buddhist monk if it's ok not to believe in rebirth? He'd look at you as though you were mad.
That's because although examination and testing of teachings is encouraged, it's expected of you to conclude that the teaching is correct. If you don't then you haven't examined it correctly or for long enough to see the "evident truth" of the teaching. So, although it looks promising on the surface, and is great for us Western spiritual explorers, for most native believers it is simply a different method of indoctrination.

Ok. I largely concede to your argument. But there are a few observations that I think still leave scope for doubt.

i) There is a difference between religion and religious people. People tend to corrupt things for their own gain. In fact, to my mind the very concept of religion is flawed because it is too easily corrupted.

However, that religion is inflexible, is not as much a characteristic of religion, but the characteristic of people who adhere to it. We all know how long it took to write the holy texts and how the men who wrote them built in "fail safe" mechanisms to prevent the text being questioned.

However, we spend too much time and energy discussing and debating religious people and their claims and as a result no comprehensive empirical study into the validity of certain aspects of faiths has been conducted that I know of.

ii) What was once considered outrageously ridiculous when propounded by religion, becomes common place when repeated by science. A very crude example, this is just an illustration don't read too much into it, is the big bang theory.

The Lord said,"Let there be light and there was light" is ridiculous. However, when science says the entire universe came into existence from a infinite singularity (nothing) in an instant lesser that 10 to the power minus thirty fourth of a second, it become established fact.

What seems to the difference in the two is that religion arrives at these conclusions, without evidently providing a method. Also the language is perhaps archaic with the use of colourful characters and miracles and so forth area easy targets of ridicule.

The point is, when examined, you might find some substance in traditional wisdom too.

But let us also examine science too. Science has now been complicated well beyond the reasonable grasp of the common man. When I was introduced to calculus as a child I could not move beyond the concept of x approaches zero. It is zero yet it isn't. I went through my course and passed, but always carried the nagging doubt that all was not what it seemed, even in science.

A parallel in religion is brahmanisation. Making texts so complex that they become the sole property of a select few. These select few interpret and enforce the law. When explanation is offered it is made so complex that you yourself are left in doubt.

Simple questions like, what happened before the big bang? Or what do you mean time was not there? Are answered either by complexity or by simple 'you wouldn't understand'.

Prof. Sir Roger Penrose, Oxford University, was one of the people who for a large part of his life debunked the possibility of even pondering on a pre big bang scenario. He was one of the champions of the cause. (There is no pre big bang, don't waste your and my time). Today, he is among those who no longer believes that to be true. Suggesting that perhaps his earlier attitude was not in the spirit of science.

And yet, people go around claiming that science has cracked it all. Without really understanding or displaying an inclination to understand the facts.

Franz Harare, noted illusion artist, once told me,"the most difficult people to fool are children. They don't take anything for granted because they have no previous reference points." And yet we, self professed scientific people, take so many things for granted or believe in them because we were told so and it "sound ok, doesn't it?'

Because pointing out past failures, or outdated theories of science does nothing to educate the religious loonies, it only strengthens their faith in what they already hold to be true by devaluing science further in their eyes.

How is what loonies think important to us? By restricting our mind and thought to their arguments is...loony. A waste of time. Let them think what they want.

Why not carefully examine the arguments made and logic offered in religious texts and science afresh. Why not examine the premise that science is something we can place our faith in? I came here seeking other people who would perhaps present another way of looking at things, that I could not have thought of.

Agreed that science is, well, scientific. But by the very definition of what has transpired in the past (the uncertainty of theories and their vulnerability) we must not conclude that science knows more than it does. Any time you ask an 'atheist' to examine his or her belief, which is usually based on science, you run into a brick wall. To their mind, the very admission that there is something to examine is conceding defeat to religion, a reaction borne from the useless exercise of trying to prove the religious wrong.

This has lead me to suspect that discussing alternate possibilities with atheists is just as futile as with any religious fanatic.

Exactly, for whom do I have a belief system for? Its for ME. And I am sure as hell not going to settle for a second grade product, be it religion or science. Maybe a few years from now people will study us and laugh at our scientific conclusions. That would be a great thing, it would indicate that people did not surrender to science the same was they did not surrender to religion.

When I question science, it is not necessarily so that we can fall back on religion, but so that we can move further. The science I am talking about is not the methodology but the mindset.

I believe (I might even venture to say: strongly believe) that eventually a power source will be discovered (or theoretically proven to exist) that will be stable and adhere to principles of science (call it God, Pod or Rod, thats of little significance). We came close with singularity but it failed. But such a energy source will be found. It will also be found, that our bodies are also energy carriers, and we are not floating about purposelessly as is suggested now. In fact with a very definite purpose. This too will adhere to principles of science. Everything around us is not random and by chance (Goldylocks paradox). There is a deeper principle of science involved. And it will be discovered. A connection between all energies in the universe will also be discovered. There are theories now also, but they are a little iffy.

When I started thinking down this line, I was somewhat taken aback by the dharmic texts and even some parts of Abrahamic text. And so I devoted some time in studying them and trying to establish how they arrived at their conclusions. I admit that most of what is written in these texts is either very interesting story telling, or a reflection of that time's morality or such like. But there are passages that scared me with their seeming accuracy.

But even if you suggest this approach to a strong atheist, they immediately rubbish it. For them there is no scope for new thought (they claim there is and prove it in theory and definition, but really, having spoken to many of them, I don't think they mean it). For them the present version of science is be all and end all.

I am ranting now. Sorry. Await a reply.

Sum1sGruj

a belief about what, you are only assuming

I have no belief of a deity, i hit no wall.

You believe in naturalism. You hit a wall.

Sour semantics by the way.

I dont find this to be true, my only gripe is keeping religion out of science as it has no place there at all, religion also has no place in a science classroom at all.

religion is the forcefull group, atheist dont go out and murder abortion doctors or anyone at all as a group like religious groups do. Atheist have never started a war, unlike most mainstream religions
You think religion is the reason extremists hit the twin towers? HA. You think the drama in Vietnam has religious influence? HA. Pearl Harbor? HA.

Who invented the nuclear bomb?

Your claim is either completely unfounded, or you are blind to the world and human nature.

never seen a atheist knock on anyones door and ask to come in and preach science the way some abrahamic religions do.
Yeah, it's only force fed in schools and is a requirement to learn no matter how useless 95% of it is to the average Joe.

redcom11

im sorry but you seem to be lacking in a few areas on the subject.

would you not agree??

Since I seem to be lacking in my fundamentals:

i) What did the universe start from according to the big bang theory?
ii) What is the correct inference in physics when you hit infinity on both sides of the equation?
iii) "Best we have" is a relative term. 'Best' is subject to interpretation. For many scientists, big bang is not the best explanation. Its not for me either. It may be for you. Its a matter of opinion. And yours is as good as mine.

Also, kindly refrain from using words like 'rambling'. It suggests that what I am saying is rubbish and what you are saying is 'self conferred profound thought'. I disagree. Also, if I am rambling why do you feel the need to answer me at all?

they are not seeking alternitive explanations, they are still trying to figure more about the theory we have at hand.

This is incorrect. More than one theory being examined today rules out the Big Bang theory either all together or in large extent, some redefine it to a degree that it ceases to be the same Big Bang theory.

This is also a sweeping statement, implying that you know of all theories under consideration and development. Further, also implying that you know the motivation of every scientist making such a study and what they will eventually conclude. This is simply a conclusion you have arrived at before the process itself has reached its logical conclusion, making it factually incorrect.

stands behind the big bang

she is however working on a wave theory of her own that fits in with the big bang combined in a multiverse.

she is looking, but has a long way to go before she has anything solid.

one must commend her for her great work.

if you dont know the work, one should not reinterpret it for her

I never dispute that she is working on the string theory or that her theory attempts to explain parts of the big bang theory. However, her name was quoted when I was asked for sources of scientists propounding a multiverse theory. Please read the complete string.

She IS advocating a multiverse theory (which is in contradiction to the big bang theory). Its at the foundation of her work. She explains three, hitherto unexplained, observations by suggesting existence of neighbouring universes.

Please explain how that amounts to misquoting her. I think you might have jumped the gun here.

And lastly, a often quoted analogy is how science is the foundation (or brickwork, or something similar) and religion is the stuff in the cracks. This analogy is very different from your point of view that science still has a lot to learn. Whether religion is any good, is of little consequence to me.

I am not commenting on what religion is, rather examining the analogy from a science point of view. Foundation or brickwork is a term that suggests by definition that it is solid, unmovable and that there is little scope for doubt.

Cracks (irrespective of what fills it) are by definition small, insignificant and unimportant. Now that is a very tall claim to make. So let us examine how solid this foundation is and how small the cracks are before we validate or reject this analogy.

Is there anything wrong with this line of reasoning?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
For about fifty years the Big Bang theory was the accepted explanation of the birth of the universe. However, in the last ten years certain 'missing links' in the theory have forced scientists to reconsider.
Care to give any sources or examples? Besides, this is how theory works. We don't have all the information from the start - we build on what we know and develop the model as the obtain more information.

The simplest way to explain this is to by first looking at the way science, specially this branch, has arrived at many conclusions. It is primarily 'effect analysis'. You observe an effect and then try to come up with theories that answer its existence. The theory need not answer all aspects of the effect. Usually, the theory which answers most facets is taken to be the most 'likely' to be true.
Actually, no, it's the theory which has the most supporting evidence and is the most testable and demonstrable that is considered most likely true.

So while, Big Bang does address some effect observations, it does not answer all. The most apparent effect it answers is, the universe is seemingly expanding. So how does one arrive at the Big Bang from there? You chart the path of moving galaxies and wind back the clock and draw a line backward, in reverse direction of the galaxy's path.

When you do this for several of them, you will arrive at a region where eventually all galaxies seem to converge. This implies that all celestial bodies were closer and closer together as we go back in time. So far so good.

However, if we continue to keep going back in time, they not only get so close that they are touching each other, but logically they start meshing and merging in to each other. Further back, they collapse into each other. Till such time you first arrive at a pin point size of all mass and then this mass has to be small to the level of infinity....nothing. The arrival at infinity in physics implies that beyond this point the theory has failed. That is a scientific conclusion, not my arbitrary observation.
No, no, no, this has already been explained. A "pin point of all mass" is not "nothing". Find me a single scientifically credible source which says that the Universe came from "nothing".

That is why, to explain anything before this point one has to suspend the concept of time, matter and energy. They do not act as we observe them to act today.

So for fifty odd years this apparent failure of the theory was brushed aside by arguing that since we do not know the very nature of time and matter before this point, it is really of no significance and not a subject to really be thought about.
This is not a "failure of the the theory". The big bang was proposed as a model to explain how the known Universe started, and in that regard it has been incredibly successful. It has managed to explain the path the Universe took up to the planck time of the big bang, before which all the laws of our known universe cease to exist. It has also explained how and why the Universe appears to be expanding. The fact that the theory cannot go "beyond" some arbitrary point is not a failure of the theory - it's the natural result of not being able to check the facts yet.

But that is not where the problem ends, in fact, its just the beginning. There are several other aspects of this theory that don't work. As a result, more and more main stream scientists are now seeking alternative explanations.
Examples, please.

Firstly, I did not spell his name correctly. It is Pariyam Singh. And he is not wrong. Or rather, he is as right or wrong as the Big Bang theory. Keep and open mind.
Why should I when we already know that the Universe is expanding? He is wrong.

Pariyam's work is to try and resolve a contradiction in two 'well established' scientific formula. Quantum mechanics (which applies to the functioning of the smallest particles) and classical physics (which applies to larger masses). When these two are applied to the universe, they contradict each other, rather as scientists put it 'don't talk to each other'. Singh has now floated the Big Bounce theory.

He says that the universe contracts and expands repeatedly. We are just observing the expansion part now. And this is an unending cycle. The Big Bang was just a small part of it. He does not believe in the Big Bang theory. Very few of his colleagues now do.
So, the professor didn't say that the Universe isn't expanding? Also, can you provide a link to this professor, I cannot find any information on them whatsoever.

Laws of physics, being universal laws, should theoretically, apply at all times. However, there are a million ways to put what physics did or did not do before the big bang. It is universally accepted that the laws did not exist in the way we conceive and explain them today if the theory is to be held true.

In reality, we have no means of telling what happened 13.7 billion years ago, let alone before that. What we have is the observation of effect and then some very complex mathematics to try and explain this observation. All these theories are mathematical equations. All the time, the person trying to put these equations together is trying very hard that they don't come apart. Its like a detective arriving at an unsolved scene of crime that took place billions of years back.

The prime suspect, Billy Big Bang, it turns out now, has proven himself innocent. However, we are not letting him go, till such time we find another suspect.
You keep showing an understanding of science, but then turn it on it's head with thinks like this conclusion above. Provide evidence. What dramatic shift in science (that apparently nobody was aware of) has demonstrated the big bang to be false?

Prof. Linde. Dr. Laura Mersini Haughton and a thousand others.
Could you provide something other than names? Evidence or scientific papers, perhaps?

I am not talking about religion. I am just applying the same logic to science as you do to religion...and want to see what happens.

You had said, "religion is the stuff that fills the cracks that are left by science" or something to that effect. I am just trying to ascertain how strong the foundation of science is and how big are these cracks. Are they cracks or are they chasms or canyons.
What does it matter? Science is filling them in all the time. I fail to see what relevancy this has to our discussion whatsoever.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You think religion is the reason extremists hit the twin towers? HA. You think the drama in Vietnam has religious influence? HA. Pearl Harbor? HA.

It's certainly the cloak they all stand under when they commit these atrocities. You can argue all you want on philosophical points or the emotional or mental state of the person or persons doing what they do but throughout history we see a lot of these things centered around religion.

Muslim fundamentalist learned and took their time planning in order to do what they did two those towers. If you think it had nothing to do with their religious convictions then you are ill-informed. It may not have been the only factor but it was certainly a big one.

Abortion clinic bombings by Christians has everything to do with religion.

Protesting the legalization or gay/lesbian marriage by Christians has everything to do with the Christian ideology as well as their homophobic mentality.

Jews and Muslims fighting in Israel over a piece of land has everything to do with religion. A mosque sits where a supposedly prophesied Jewish temple is to be built. There are other land issues but this is one of the hot button ones.

There are a host of other examples and they all are centered around theistic ideology past and present.

Some Christians as well as other faiths or beliefs....but are you suggesting that ALL involved in the Manhattan Project were solely Atheist....????......:rolleyes:

Your claim is either completely unfounded, or you are blind to the world and human nature.

Human nature is one thing but when these humans work in a group with specific ideologies and agendas and goals their religious convictions can't be dismissed.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
In that case, your earlier argument also stands corrected:

"Whether or not you agree with the big bang theory is irrelevant to the existence of science. The fact that there is a big bang theory to disagree with is proof of the existence of science."

It should now read:

"Whether or not you agree with the big bang theory is irrelevant to the existence of the theory. The fact that there is a big bang theory to disagree with is proof of the existence of the theory."

Just as the creationist theory and its subsequent failure is no proof of God, similarly the Big Bang theory and, what now appears to be its imminent failure, is no proof of science.

Revisit, rethink and repost. Cheers.

Creationism is responsible for the idea of intelligent design. I guess instead of creationism you could say "certain religions" or maybe "the Bible", but I was using "creationism" as a broader thing than just intelligent design.

The point is science is the method used to produce the big bang theory and other scientific theories. Thinking that the theory is wrong doesn't mean you don't believe science exists. It means you think that scientific theory is wrong.

If we use the Bible instead of creationism in the retooled version of your comparison, we get:

"Whether or not you agree with the creationist theory is irrelevant to the existence of the Bible. The fact that there is a creationist theory to disagree with is proof of the existence of the Bible."

It's not ideal because some people follow the Bible, but don't subscribe to creationism. However, I'll use it to illustrate the point. The Bible exists. That's a fact. You can disagree with stuff that's in it, but that doesn't mean you think it doesn't exist. In the same way, science exists. That's a fact. You can disagree with stuff it says, but that doesn't mean you think it doesn't exist.

AfterGlow

Invisible Puffle
i) There is a difference between religion and religious people. People tend to corrupt things for their own gain. In fact, to my mind the very concept of religion is flawed because it is too easily corrupted.

However, that religion is inflexible, is not as much a characteristic of religion, but the characteristic of people who adhere to it.
Agreed.

However, we spend too much time and energy discussing and debating religious people and their claims and as a result no comprehensive empirical study into the validity of certain aspects of faiths has been conducted that I know of.
I think that's what theology is all about, looking into the actual texts and their claims and propositions with a somewhat critical eye. It's why very often theologians will have far more in common with atheists, with regard to how they think, than they will with their fellow believers who lack a theological education.

ii) What was once considered outrageously ridiculous when propounded by religion, becomes common place when repeated by science. A very crude example, this is just an illustration don't read too much into it, is the big bang theory.

What seems to the difference in the two is that religion arrives at these conclusions, without evidently providing a method. Also the language is perhaps archaic with the use of colourful characters and miracles and so forth area easy targets of ridicule.
The thing with religious texts is that they are often just vague enough to allow interpretation to run wild, a bit like the prophesies of Nostradamus. People who want to see the Big Bang in Genesis 1 will, and people who want to see aliens in Genesis 6 will too. I'm not saying that the people who wrote the texts were charlatans, but perhaps their words were meant to convey a meaning other than literal.

The point is, when examined, you might find some substance in traditional wisdom too.
Agreed again. At the moment I'm studying Epictetus, a man who died 2,000 years ago but who's writings I'm finding more inspirational than most modern-day thinkers.

But let us also examine science too. Science has now been complicated well beyond the reasonable grasp of the common man. When I was introduced to calculus as a child I could not move beyond the concept of x approaches zero. It is zero yet it isn't.

A parallel in religion is brahmanisation. Making texts so complex that they become the sole property of a select few. These select few interpret and enforce the law. When explanation is offered it is made so complex that you yourself are left in doubt.
The world is complex, and so science is complex as a reflection. We attempt to make it as avalible to the masses as possible though, though eventually people will hit stumbling blocks as they don't have the required knowledge/education to progress.

Simple questions like, what happened before the big bang? Or what do you mean time was not there? Are answered either by complexity or by simple 'you wouldn't understand'.
I'll concede that this is often a tactic used by atheists trying to argue a point that they themselves don't really grasp, it's called blinding the opposition with science. Like you I find it a bit cheap.

Prof. Sir Roger Penrose, Oxford University, was one of the people who for a large part of his life debunked the possibility of even pondering on a pre big bang scenario. He was one of the champions of the cause. (There is no pre big bang, don't waste your and my time). Today, he is among those who no longer believes that to be true. Suggesting that perhaps his earlier attitude was not in the spirit of science.

And yet, people go around claiming that science has cracked it all. Without really understanding or displaying an inclination to understand the facts.
Science hasn't cracked it all, I think people who claim so are those who were once very faith-filled, they tend to replace one form of fundamentalistic submission to authority with another.

Franz Harare, noted illusion artist, once told me,"the most difficult people to fool are children. They don't take anything for granted because they have no previous reference points." And yet we, self professed scientific people, take so many things for granted or believe in them because we were told so and it "sound ok, doesn't it?'
Do you mean scientists themselves, or those who form their worldviews around scientific concepts they've encountered?

How is what loonies think important to us? By restricting our mind and thought to their arguments is...loony. A waste of time. Let them think what they want.
A good argument that I had explained to me once was that a religious loony will produce religious loony children. From our perspective it is worthwhile at least trying to educate these people for the sake of their offspring.

Why not carefully examine the arguments made and logic offered in religious texts and science afresh. Why not examine the premise that science is something we can place our faith in? I came here seeking other people who would perhaps present another way of looking at things, that I could not have thought of.
I think everything should be looked at with a critical eye. However, if people do need to place their faith in something, I'd far prefer they place it in the rational field of science to the bronze age myth and philosophy of the Bible. I'm not saying that the Bible is worthless, it does contain wisdom, but when you start walking down the road of placing faith in divinely revealed books you start down a slippery slope to accepting everything it says without question, because of its divine status.

Any time you ask an 'atheist' to examine his or her belief, which is usually based on science, you run into a brick wall. To their mind, the very admission that there is something to examine is conceding defeat to religion, a reaction borne from the useless exercise of trying to prove the religious wrong.

This has lead me to suspect that discussing alternate possibilities with atheists is just as futile as with any religious fanatic.
It depends on the atheist. If an atheist is only in the discussion to try to deconvert the religious, then I'd say you've hit the nail on the head.

Exactly, for whom do I have a belief system for? Its for ME. And I am sure as hell not going to settle for a second grade product, be it religion or science.

When I question science, it is not necessarily so that we can fall back on religion, but so that we can move further. The science I am talking about is not the methodology but the mindset.
I think people call that scientism. It is probably a good idea to separate the fields of inquiry that represent science from the belief systems people evolve from the fruits of those inquiries.

I believe (I might even venture to say: strongly believe) that eventually a power source will be discovered (or theoretically proven to exist) that will be stable and adhere to principles of science (call it God, Pod or Rod, thats of little significance). We came close with singularity but it failed. But such a energy source will be found. It will also be found, that our bodies are also energy carriers, and we are not floating about purposelessly as is suggested now. In fact with a very definite purpose. This too will adhere to principles of science. Everything around us is not random and by chance (Goldylocks paradox). There is a deeper principle of science involved. And it will be discovered. A connection between all energies in the universe will also be discovered. There are theories now also, but they are a little iffy.
Fair enough, though from my perspective I wonder why you feel the need to believe in such a power source, as I myself have no such need. As for the goldilocks paradox, have you read up on the anthropic principle?

When I started thinking down this line, I was somewhat taken aback by the dharmic texts and even some parts of Abrahamic text. And so I devoted some time in studying them and trying to establish how they arrived at their conclusions. I admit that most of what is written in these texts is either very interesting story telling, or a reflection of that time's morality or such like. But there are passages that scared me with their seeming accuracy.
Again, I have to wonder if this is more a reflection on your powers of interpretation than the actual motivation behind the writing of the original text. But that's just my opinion.

But even if you suggest this approach to a strong atheist, they immediately rubbish it. For them there is no scope for new thought (they claim there is and prove it in theory and definition, but really, having spoken to many of them, I don't think they mean it). For them the present version of science is be all and end all.
You get stubborn people in all walks of life.

waitasec

Veteran Member

and why did god keep men from building a tower that would reach the heavens?
we both know their blood would boil once reaching a certain altitude...
but of course, bronze age man didn't know that :facepalm:
seems as though this gawd in your bible is more afraid of people working together then he is of anything else...