• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-Life by most really mean Pro-Birth

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
We're all going to suffer and die.
It's the other stuff that makes life worth living.

And protecting.
Tom
The other stuff? Like your toys? Do you realize most children born into this world do not get "the other stuff" whatever that is, they just suffer for all their lives. You want to force women to bring children into this suffering world that is going to **** minute by minute. That isn't compassion my friend, it is callousness

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The other stuff? Like your toys? Do you realize most children born into this world do not get "the other stuff" whatever that is, they just suffer for all their lives. You want to force women to bring children into this suffering world that is going to **** minute by minute. That isn't compassion my friend, it is callousness
Dang.
That's one painfully simplistic ideological view of the human situation.
Tom

PureX

Veteran Member
If this was about 'saving babies' there would be organizations offering to pay the medical bills of women with unwanted pregnancies. There would be offers to take and raise the child if she'll birth it. There would be every effort made to promote contraception to avoid the unwanted pregnancies in the first place. But there isn't ANY of that going on. All that's going on is the endless, merciless desire to PUNISH the pregnant woman for having "irresponsible sex" by forcing her to gestate a baby in her womb that happened as a result of her 'transgression'. It's all about punishing the mother. And nothing about respecting the welfare of her or her child.

This is why I don't believe the pro-lifers when they claim they are trying to "save babies". Because that isn't what I ever see any of them actually doing. All I ever see any of them actually doing is trying to punish the mother by making her gestate and birth a child she does not want. And I think the reason they want this so badly is entirely punitive, not 'life affirming'.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If this was about 'saving babies' there would be organizations offering to pay the medical bills of women with unwanted pregnancies. There would be offers to take and raise the child if she'll birth it. There would be every effort made to promote contraception to avoid the unwanted pregnancies in the first place. But there isn't ANY of that going on. All that's going on is the endless, merciless desire to PUNISH the pregnant woman for having "irresponsible sex" by forcing her to gestate a baby in her womb that happened as a result of her 'transgression'. It's all about punishing the mother. And nothing about respecting the welfare of her or her child.

This is why I don't believe the pro-lifers when they claim they are trying to "save babies". Because that isn't what I ever see any of them actually doing. All I ever see any of them actually doing is trying to punish the mother by making her gestate and birth a child she does not want. And I think the reason they want this so badly is entirely punitive, not 'life affirming'.
Keep telling us more about what pro-lifers think instead of actually listening to what pro-lifers think, it's so enlightening I love it.

PureX

Veteran Member
But we don't all die because someone chose to kill us.

That's the moral issue. Dying is one thing, choosing death for another human being is quite different.
Tom
A fetus isn't a human being, yet. It's only a potential human being. At some point in the process it will become a human being, but if that process is not allowed to reach that stage, stopping the process is not "killing a human being". It's just stopping the process that might otherwise result in a human being.

It's important that we be both honest and clear about what we can know, and what we cannot know. Pretending we are "saving someone's life" when we have no idea what life they might have had, if any, is delusional. Just as stopping the gestation process that may have eventually resulted in a human being is not "killing a human being", or "ending a human life". It's just stopping one form possibly happening.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Keep telling us more about what pro-lifers think instead of actually listening to what pro-lifers think, it's so enlightening I love it.
I'm just telling you what I see, and what I don't see, and what these cause me to think.

shmogie

This is flat out wrong.
I sincerely wish that people who oppose elective abortions would get better educated about what Planned Parenthood actually does.
I know people who work at PP, and they generally view an abortion as a failure of PP to reach their goal.
Tom
No, it is not wrong.

I suggest you actually look at what PP offers to most rural women.

They do not have the equipment or staff to provide anything but birth control, very basic health screening, and abortions.

Any testing, like mammograms, etc. they refer to other facilities.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
A fetus isn't a human being, yet. It's only a potential human being.
This is absolutely wrong, as any biology text that covers "lifecycle of a primate" will explain to you.

The fetal human being might not have reached the stage of development that your arbitrary and subjective opinion deems a person. But that isn't the same thing. S/he is most definitely a human and a being.
Tom

The Reverend Bob

But we don't all choose to create, and then kill, our own progeny.
Tom
Preventing the unborn from suffering in this world is no sin. The sin lies in those who presume that life is always good. Life is suffering and to enjoin and force another into that suffering is the sin. It is the epitome of imperfection. The greatest of all sins that humanity has created is not murder but to bring life into a suffering world.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Preventing the unborn from suffering in this world is no sin. The sin lies in those who presume that life is always good. Life is suffering and to enjoin and force another into that suffering is the sin. It is the epitome of imperfection. The greatest of all sins that humanity has created is not murder but to bring life into a suffering world.
I don't care what you mean by, or think about, sin. It doesn't matter to me.

Life, the joys and the suffering, are what matters.
Tom

The Reverend Bob

I don't care what you mean by, or think about, sin. It doesn't matter to me.

Life, the joys and the suffering, are what matters.
Tom
Of course life matters but you have to be honest about it (which you won't be), you have to be honest that most people who are born will not be able to experience the joy but will only suffer. You sit on your high throne of "joy" and you are judging them when all they do is suffer.

Bob the Unbeliever

Well, and that is exactly why atheists are so interested to debunk such superstitions. Because they affect my rights on account of imaginary beings like gods and souls.

By the way, if all kids embryos etc, get a risk free ticket to an eternity of bliss, what is the problem? I believe that under that premise, it would be highly moral to abort.

Ciao

- viole

I agree to 100% -- that is the logical conclusion of their beliefs.

Unfortunately, logic is not something these people are aware of, nor is it something they can use effectively.

It's purely an emotional issue with most religious folk.

Ironically? The first time one of their own offspring comes home with an unexpected pregnancy, suddenly it's all "where is the nearest abortion doctor?"