• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-Life by most really mean Pro-Birth

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Precisely who is it who knows Mormonism to be oppressive towards women, because it's not Mormon women? I am a Mormon woman. Please tell me how I am oppressed.
The subject is abortion. If you want to know why I believe women are oppressed by patriarchal religions then go make a thread about women and patriarchal religions.

RedhorseWoman

I can definitely see how one can be both pro-choice and pro-life: such a position would entail rejecting abortion for oneself and working to reduce circumstances where the question of abortion would even need to be considered, while respecting and having compassion for others who have to face that difficult choice. This would include those who believe that abortion should be legal, safe, and above all, rare.

I would be interested in hearing more about other pro-life positions that preserves the woman's right to bodily autonomy. :)

Thank you for this post. You have summed up my beliefs on this issue much more succinctly than I was able to. When I became pregnant at a very bad time financially, I chose to reject the idea of abortion, but I vehemently support the right of other women to choose what they believe is best for them in their own circumstances.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
There is a tremendous difference in the two meanings. The diffetence is seen after the birth occurs and into childhood. The politicians are getting closer to the Death Penalty for abortion providers and some states have jail time on the books for the woman getting the abortion.
Look closer at how these states allocate funds for those born into poverty. It pretty much says it all.

The Jewish religious leaders in the time of Jesus who behaved the same way as our Republican politicians of today, also clocked their evil behaviour in righteousness.
Here's the catch behind this whole debate:

Can people constitutionally be forced to not have an abortion? Is it murder or is it a simple disposal of cellular mass?

tigrers2019

Our constitution does not list the unborn as persons. So no there can be no real objective legal conclusion that a murder takes place when that entity's life is ended.

The act of abortion is an act that is 'against nature' such as is that which found in Romans chapter 1 and in secular writings of around the same time period concerning some female prostitutes resorting to anal intercourse in order to avoid pregnancy.

Religious propaganda has created the notion that when something is labeled 'against nature' that it is monstrous when it actually is not.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Passive aggressiveness, how charming. This thread is not the place to be debating whether Mormonism is patriarchal and therefore oppressive. Good day to you.
You made a claim. I asked you to support it. You failed to do so. And now I'm passive-aggressive? :rolleyes:

Muffled

Jesus in me
There is a tremendous difference in the two meanings. The diffetence is seen after the birth occurs and into childhood. The politicians are getting closer to the Death Penalty for abortion providers and some states have jail time on the books for the woman getting the abortion.
Look closer at how these states allocate funds for those born into poverty. It pretty much says it all.

The Jewish religious leaders in the time of Jesus who behaved the same way as our Republican politicians of today, also clocked their evil behaviour in righteousness.

I believe you have a skewed view of what life is. Life is the ability to animate. A baby in the womb is animated by a heartbeat. What you think of life is actually quality of life which is a spurious concept at best.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Glad you just had to throw this in there. No reason to, but there it is.

Not only that but I believe the statement is in error. There is no reason to think that the Pharisees would not have been justified if Jesus was not who He said He was. The problem is that they allowed personal bias to interfere with their investigation. And there is the problem of the fact that Jesus threatened their abuse of moneymaking at the Temple and their authority from the Romans resulting in a lack of motivation to find the truth.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe there is no evidence to support this notion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I believe no woman has a right to murder her child. I do believe she has a responsibility to bear that child and raise it.
I agree.
But I also think that society has a responsibility to use evidence based methods to prevent abortions.
From age appropriate sex ed, to fully funding Planned Parenthood, to a health care system that provides for people without regard to ability to pay.

People who oppose those things aren't merely "not True prolifers", they are "pro- Death."

They're Pro-Death.

That's what the majority of conservative Christians advocate, here in the USA. Pro-Death policies, because they aren't as attached to their religious beliefs as they are to their political beliefs. Most USA Christians are less Christian than they are Capitalistic.
Not all, but most. That's why they voted for Trump.
Tom