• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump to close down border

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Are you predicting that some businesses or industries will get
selective permission to cross, or all commerce in general?
Guess is a more accurate word than predict.
But yes, I fully expect the Trump administration to protect his base and punish everyone else.
Because that's how he seems to do business, generally.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But yes, I fully expect the Trump administration to protect his base and punish everyone else.
Tom
But to my question, what is this base who will be catered to?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Tom
He'll protect them as far as having MAGA hats is concerned. When it comes to steel production he's shown he's not protecting his base like he said he would.
Personally, I would say expecting Trump to protect anyone who isn't Trump is unrealistic and giving him too much credit.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
He'll protect them as far as having MAGA hats is concerned. When it comes to steel production he's shown he's not protecting his base like he said he would.
Personally, I would say expecting Trump to protect anyone who isn't Trump is unrealistic and giving him too much credit.
Here's the thing.
Given Trump's self centeredness, deception, and lack of financial transparency, I would fully expect him to do whatever he can do to benefit himself.
If he can benefit from steel tariffs or closing the border to all but select imports, he will. I wouldn't expect him to personally place a call ordering someone to invest in a business that will benefit from his policies. He's got his nepotistic top staff for that.
But their ethics don't look any better to me.
Tom

Cooky

Veteran Member
Here's the thing.
Given Trump's self centeredness, deception, and lack of financial transparency, I would fully expect him to do whatever he can do to benefit himself.
If he can benefit from steel tariffs or closing the border to all but select imports, he will. I wouldn't expect him to personally place a call ordering someone to invest in a business that will benefit from his policies. He's got his nepotistic top staff for that.
Tom

I bet if Trump was standing here, you wouldn't have the nerve to tell him that to his face... ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Here's the thing.
Tom
Exactly. Trump's base doesn't play into it, and the company he keeps makes this a reasonable assumption. Stone and Mannafort obviously weren't suggesting he be concerned with ethics and morality, Coulture hounds him about a wall, and his business past suggests he really only cares about himself, and many former business partners agree with that he doesn't care who he hurts along the way. Even holidays with his own son seems to be akin to having teeth pulled.
Overall, Trump's actions, before and during his presidency, really does suggest he is truly the only person he loves and cares about.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I bet if Trump was standing here, you wouldn't have the nerve to tell him that to his face... ;)
I'd say worse to him (I've done it to people who can fire me so what can be done if I fire off at a president as long as I state no clear or present threats?).

Cooky

Veteran Member
Exactly. Trump's base doesn't play into it, and the company he keeps makes this a reasonable assumption. Stone and Mannafort obviously weren't suggesting he be concerned with ethics and morality, Coulture hounds him about a wall, and his business past suggests he really only cares about himself, and many former business partners agree with that he doesn't care who he hurts along the way. Even holidays with his own son seems to be akin to having teeth pulled.
Overall, Trump's actions, before and during his presidency, really does suggest he is truly the only person he loves and cares about.

This guy disagrees with you:

8f2d9d9c3104db0639d1020978801fd6.jpeg

( Sorry... I just saw that on the internet and had to use it somewhere) :D

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why?
Because he can shoot someone in the middle of 5th Ave and his base won't care?

He does seem to be right about that.
Given what the MAGA hat teens in DC went through, I am fully aware that people in the USA can get ugly when their own political ox gets gored. And I know that Trump has offered to pay lawyers if his supporters get violent.

So, no. I probably wouldn't. Because Trump is dangerously unethical. And his supporters like him that way.
Tom

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife just told me a couple of hours ago that on the news she was watching that Trump has supposedly changed his mind and won't consider closing down the border until next year.

I do not know which station she was watching, btw.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My wife just told me a couple of hours ago that on the news she was watching that Trump has supposedly changed his mind and won't consider closing down the border until next year.

I do not know which station she was watching, btw.
It was on CNN at least. Was anyone surprised?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It was on CNN at least. Was anyone surprised?
In the game of go, one sometimes plays moves called a "probe".
You play it, not knowing which way your opponent will respond.
It might be useful....or it might not. It's a useful tactic.
It seems that Trump was doing this.