• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Pot Never Should Have Been Illegal In The First Place"

Should marijuana be legalized for recreational use across the nation or not?

• It should be legalized

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • It should not be legalized.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you saying that no Baha'i's suffer with mental health issues? The reality is that we have doctors for a reason. The Bible writer, Luke was a physician, just as @adrian009 is. Would he put aside his medical training to treat a fellow Baha'i presenting with mental health issues, to engage in some kind of faith healing? Would he hesitate to prescribe what is considered the appropriate medication for a serious mental health issue?

If Cannabis becomes a legal medicine, able to successfully treat many different physical and mental conditions, would there be any reason to avoid it?

Baha'is are prone to the same physical and psychological illnesses that everyone else is. The Baha'i writings emphasise seeking advice from compotent physicians.

There is a growing body of literature that supports application of spiritual principles to daily life can have benificial health outcomes both mentally and physically. Harold Koenig wrote an excellent paper reviewing medical literature on this and is a leading advocate worldwide.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/278730/

There is strong evidence the cannabis can have a detrimental affect on both psychological and physical well being.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is strong evidence the cannabis can have a detrimental affect on both psychological and physical

I have worked on job sites where Marijuana induced schizophrenia created havoc. I have never seen such a change in personality after these few people took to a smoke at lunch time, after lunch my job site was a nightmare, a powder keg of on the edge bad tempered, fight happy workers. Later when they also mixed it with alcohol, I never knew who next would be taken to hospital to be stiched up. That is only one of my experiences with this underestimated drug.

It also had the same effect on my son.

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I have worked on job sites where Marijuana induced schizophrenia created havoc. I have never seen such a change in personality after these few people took to a smoke at lunch time, after lunch my job site was a nightmare, a powder keg of on the edge bad tempered, fight happy workers. Later when they also mixed it with alcohol, I never knew who next would be taken to hospital to be stiched up. That is only one of my experiences with this underestimated drug.

It also had the same effect on my son.

Regards Tony

I worked in psychiatry for seven years. I saw first hand the affects of cannabis with relapses of psychosis and mania leading to hospital admissions.

There's a growing body of medical research that shows a causal association between cannabis and psychosis.

If people want to believe its harmless, the're kidding themselves.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm very glad that the hysterical scare campaigns have eased up, and people are starting to educate themselves.
I was reluctant to even try it because I was led to believe that it was dangerous, but I did so out of desperation to get my pain (I have intense, chronic, all-over joint pain because of a genetic disorder) and anxiety under control without opiates and other drugs which have a great deal of potential for harm.

The key (as it is with alcohol) is responsible and respectful use.

I use cannabis every day to help manage my pain levels and it is definitely a safe substance.

That's a good point. However, there are other ways to ingest cannabis. I take it in edible form almost exclusively.
Almost no one even knows that I'm using it at all.
Also a very good point.

Not indulging, I forget there are other means to ingest the drug. I understand that it can be quite effective in baked goods. That would eliminate issues with secondhand smoke, but it could be fattening.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
"Last week, Gallup reported that a record-high 66 percent of Americans now say marijuana should be legal. The reason is simple: Marijuana never should have been illegal in the first place.
OH YEAH! Just take a look at the evildence !!

Anyway, *sigh* to continue. . .
"Through decades of reefer madness, Americans were led to believe that marijuana is far more harmful than it actually is. This is not to say it’s harmless. But it is safe to say it is less harmful than alcohol, another substance that once was illegal and is now widely accepted in our country.

Nevertheless, our federal government and many states still have laws on the books that criminalize marijuana use, and they are all too frequently enforced. U.S. law enforcement agencies made about 600,000 arrests for marijuana possession last year, according to the FBI. To make matters worse, these marijuana laws have long been disproportionately enforced against communities of color.

We learned as a nation during alcohol prohibition that simply banning a widely demanded substance does not make the substance go away. Instead, prohibition creates a criminal market to satisfy that demand, which brings with it a whole host of public health and safety problems.

As a result, several states have decided to take a new approach and start regulating marijuana similarly to alcohol. It is being produced and sold by licensed businesses that must follow rules regarding testing, packaging and labeling. Retailers must check IDs, and government officials have reported no uptick in teen use rates.

At the same time, these states have generated hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue, and law enforcement officials appear to be improving their clearance rates for other crimes.

Marijuana legalization is not a panacea, but it is progress, just as ending Prohibition was 85 years ago. States led the way in developing alternative policies that control alcohol while allowing for responsible adult use, and they should continue to do the same with marijuana."
source
So, should marijuana be legalized for recreational use across the nation or not?

like anything else.....it has s use
and it never should have been made illegal

I heard the Dupont Co......lobbied for the law banning hemp
they had just invented.....nylon rope

the staple had been hemp

ban the staple

money to be made

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I am envious. :( As one who also suffers with back pain, I would like to have the option to at least try it. They cannot give us a valid reason for withholding it. The more that the overseas research is published, the more it is revealed how corrupt it is to keep this harmless plant inaccessible to the ones who need it.

Parents here in Australia have had their children taken off them because they were successfully treating their epileptic kids with Cannabis Oil. The children had returned to an almost seizure free state, but when taken from their parents, the CO was withheld, they put them back on the prescription medicine, and their seizures returned along with the awful side effects. Now that is the epitome of wicked and willful ignorance, coupled with pressure from the drug companies to continue to peddle their poison.

How do these people sleep at night?.....no conscience. o_O
Omg I remember seeing that on the news a couple of times. I was like, why aren't we doing trials on this?!!
If it works, then it works. I understand pausing to study potential side affects. But I've known many an old school traditional uncle swear by cannabis oil. They go from aching joints and poor muscle control to jogging like a champ in a matter of minutes.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I worked in psychiatry for seven years. I saw first hand the affects of cannabis with relapses of psychosis and mania leading to hospital admissions.

There's a growing body of medical research that shows a causal association between cannabis and psychosis.

If people want to believe its harmless, the're kidding themselves.

Adrian, your response is typical of an indoctrinated medico. The system that trained you is responsible for more unnecessary deaths from prescription drugs than cannabis ever could. Those with a propensity to develop psychosis would probably do so with any mind altering drug. How often is cannabis used in conjunction with other hard drugs, and yet cannabis gets the bad wrap. It is way less harmful than the drugs that you might prescribe yourself. Research shows that it is very successful in helping patients get off addictive substances. It itself is not addictive, it has no harmful side effects and it works well for so many presently "incurable" (with pharma drugs) medical conditions.

Doctors who balk at cannabis but prescribe synthetic poisons that are perfectly legal, are kidding themselves IMO. o_O Please do some unbiased research. The current medical system is nothing but a money making racket. Honest doctors are now turning to functional medicine, tired of the failure of the present drug focussed system to make people well. :(