• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Pot Never Should Have Been Illegal In The First Place"

Should marijuana be legalized for recreational use across the nation or not?

• It should be legalized

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • It should not be legalized.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Curious George

Veteran Member
As I recall, the Clinton administration tried to argue to the USSC that
the fed had the power to ban guns within some distance of a school.
The argument was something about nearness of guns would reduce
learning ability, thereby affecting relative earning power of people who
were educated at the school, which meant the state would be slightly
less competitive than other states. The USSC didn't buy it.
That was certainly a landmark case. I believe there are a couple others, but you got the gist of it. There is a limit based on how far fetched the argument is.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I am envious. :( As one who also suffers with back pain, I would like to have the option to at least try it. They cannot give us a valid reason for withholding it. The more that the overseas research is published, the more it is revealed how corrupt it is to keep this harmless plant inaccessible to the ones who need it.

Parents here in Australia have had their children taken off them because they were successfully treating their epileptic kids with Cannabis Oil. The children had returned to an almost seizure free state, but when taken from their parents, the CO was withheld, they put them back on the prescription medicine, and their seizures returned along with the awful side effects. Now that is the epitome of wicked and willful ignorance, coupled with pressure from the drug companies to continue to peddle their poison.

How do these people sleep at night?.....no conscience. o_O
I wonder what would happen if I mailed you some tea. :smirk:

You could always come to Canada and just buy whatever you want. ;)
I could have you over for tea. :D

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Legalize CBD, keep THC (above a certain level) illegal. Done.
Eh, I'm going to hope that it's a bit more complicated than that. If not, there's really no excuse for it not having been done already.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, should marijuana be legalized for recreational use across the nation or not?

Apart from medicinal use I vote No as it is like all drugs, an uneeded harmful substance.

I have see it ruin many lives, directly or indirectly.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe that there is a huge difference between those who use cannabis recreationally and those who abuse it, just like alcohol. All drugs can be abused.

All drugs not medicinally supplied are just that, drugs.

Why distort the mind in any way, a distortion that can lead to an error?

What can a drug give you, that God can not?

Regards Tony

Curious George

Veteran Member
Apart from medicinal use I vote No as it is like all drugs, an uneeded harmful substance.

I have see it ruin many lives, directly or indirectly.

Regards Tony

Regards Tony

Many would make the same claim about religion ruining people's lives.

Does that make religion a harmful substance?

Cultures have used mind altering substances for all of recorded history. I am certainly not one of those who deny the dangers of drug use/abuse. However, one groups right to prohibit drugs questionable. Even more so when one invokes some god as an alternative.

I certainly favor laws that prohibit the sale of harmful chemicals to others. That said, we need to draw a line regarding what we consider acceptably harmful, lest all substances and practices be subject to ban.

I do not favor laws that punish possession or use.

Skwim

Veteran Member
There are many "unneeded" things we do in life that can be harmful, but we do them because the benefits and likelihood of not being really harmed outweigh that harm.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are many "unneeded" things we do in life that can be harmful, but we do them because the benefits and likelihood of not being really harmed outweigh that harm.

You have yoir choices to make. Drugs are not part of my choices, but we have to face those that do choose that path, directly or indirectly.

As a Baha'i, it is unlawful to take any drug or alcohol except if prescribed as a medical treatment.

Regards Tony

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

There are many things that can be considered "drugs".....alcohol, caffeine and tobacco are some that many people take on a daily basis. They are not prescribed medicinally, but try to tell people that they can't have them...all are addictive....but all perfectly legal. You can even make your own wine or beer at home if you like.

Cannabis is often the drug of choice for those who suffer a variety of anxiety disorders....conditions that distort the mind already. Many of these people are not officially diagnosed but feel the need to self-medicate. Cannabis is preferable to alcohol because it is not addictive and it does not usually lead to violence, which we see so often played out on the streets of any city each weekend. Cannabis gives immediate relief to those people because it is a calming medicine. It relieves anxiety.

Taken as a medicine, there is not a valid reason for it to be illegal, when more harmful substances are causing way more damage in society.....economically and in human terms...domestic, and other forms of violence is often fueled by alcohol, or other hard drugs like "ice", not cannabis.

Many of the things used as "drugs" are God-given.....made from plants that can be used beneficially.....or they can be abused by those who are irresponsible. It isn't the drug, but the user that's the problem IMO.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I certainly favor laws that prohibit the sale of harmful chemicals to others. That said, we need to draw a line regarding what we consider acceptably harmful, lest all substances and practices be subject to ban.

In my Faith that line has been drawn by the all knowing physician. It is Law for a Baha'i.

I was lucky, as I saw it in that light before I became a Baha'i.

In the end I see people will make better choices as the future unfolds.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are many things that can be considered "drugs".....alcohol, caffeine and tobacco are some that many people take on a daily basis. They are not prescribed medicinally, but try to tell people that they can't have them...all are addictive....but all perfectly legal. You can even make your own wine or beer at home if you like.

Cannabis is often the drug of choice for those who suffer a variety of anxiety disorders....conditions that distort the mind already. Many of these people are not officially diagnosed but feel the need to self-medicate. Cannabis is preferable to alcohol because it is not addictive and it does not usually lead to violence, which we see so often played out on the streets of any city each weekend. Cannabis gives immediate relief to those people because it is a calming medicine. It relieves anxiety.

Taken as a medicine, there is not a valid reason for it to be illegal, when more harmful substances are causing way more damage in society.....economically and in human terms...domestic, and other forms of violence is often fueled by alcohol, or other hard drugs like "ice", not cannabis.

Many of the things used as "drugs" are God-given.....made from plants that can be used beneficially.....or they can be abused by those who are irresponsible. It isn't the drug, but the user that's the problem IMO.

You are free to use what you justify, however you wish to justify it.

As a Baha'i I use drugs only when prescribed by a medical professional and we have clear guidance on this subject.

I would offer that rememberance of God and Christ are the greatest of all remedies, no problem is too great with them and no drug needed. Never a need to alter the state of mind to find peace in this world, just use the God given mind.

"...Love setteth a world aflame at every turn, and he wasteth every land where he carrieth his banner. Being hath no existence in his kingdom; the wise wield no command within his realm. The leviathan of love swalloweth the master of reason and destroyeth the lord of knowledge. He drinketh the seven seas, but his heart’s thirst is still unquenched, and he saith, “Is there yet any more?” He shunneth himself and draweth away from all on earth.

Love’s a stranger to earth and heaven too;
In him are lunacies seventy-and-two."

Regards Tony

Curious George

Veteran Member
In my Faith that line has been drawn by the all knowing physician. It is Law for a Baha'i.

I was lucky, as I saw it in that light before I became a Baha'i.

In the end I see people will make better choices as the future unfolds.

Regards Tony
I highly doubt that all baha'i abstain from chocolate and sugar unless prescribed by a doctor.

I do agree that we should, in part, employ experts in human biology and anatomy when making decisions on what substances we regulate in sales and distribution. But, I am not sure that you could find too many experts that think moderate recreational use of marijuana is any more harmful than moderate recreational use of hot dogs.

Pointing to the all knowing physician does little for internal consistency. We are talking about product regulation. Should we defer to physicians for all regulatory choices? What happens when the doctors say something is not that harmful?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I highly doubt that all baha'i abstain from chocolate and sugar unless prescribed by a doctor.

I do agree that we should, in part, employ experts in human biology and anatomy when making decisions on what substances we regulate in sales and distribution. But, I am not sure that you could find too many experts that think moderate recreational use of marijuana is any more harmful than moderate recreational use of hot dogs.

Pointing to the all knowing physician does little for internal consistency. We are talking about product regulation. Should we defer to physicians for all regulatory choices? What happens when the doctors say something is not that harmful?

The Baha'i law covers mind altering drugs used for that purpose and the future will see how that unfolds.

Pot is a killer in more than one way. Thus I answered No to legalize it as a recreational drug. It can do great things to those with an imbalance medically and thus applauded in this way.

In the end most people will find out the hard way what addiction causes, sugar is a bad addiction for sure.

Peace be with you, regards Tony

Curious George

Veteran Member
The Baha'i law covers mind altering drugs used for that purpose and the future will see how that unfolds.

Pot is a killer in more than one way. Thus I answered No to legalize it as a recreational drug. It can do great things to those with an imbalance medically and thus applauded in this way.

In the end most people will find out the hard way what addiction causes, sugar is a bad addiction for sure.

Peace be with you, regards Tony
So then the line is not drawn by the physician? I am just trying to discuss where the line ought to be.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You are free to use what you justify, however you wish to justify it.

As a Baha'i I use drugs only when prescribed by a medical professional and we have clear guidance on this subject.

As a JW, we too are restricted to what is legal. But there is no valid reason for this harmless plant to be illegal in the first place. Its a bad law, made by greedy people for very sinister reasons. We live in hope that common sense and decency will prevail, but in a world ruled by the devil, we do not hold our breath. (1 John 5:19; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4) Corruption dominates in this world....who can deny that?

I would offer that rememberance of God and Christ are the greatest of all remedies, no problem is too great with them and no drug needed. Never a need to alter the state of mind to find peace in this world, just use the God given mind.

Are you saying that no Baha'i's suffer with mental health issues? The reality is that we have doctors for a reason. The Bible writer, Luke was a physician, just as @adrian009 is. Would he put aside his medical training to treat a fellow Baha'i presenting with mental health issues, to engage in some kind of faith healing? Would he hesitate to prescribe what is considered the appropriate medication for a serious mental health issue?

If Cannabis becomes a legal medicine, able to successfully treat many different physical and mental conditions, would there be any reason to avoid it?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I wonder what would happen if I mailed you some tea. :smirk:

I am sure that the customs people might object. If it was legal, I could buy my own. :D

You could always come to Canada and just buy whatever you want. ;)

That would be nice....I have always wanted to visit Canada....I love how different Canadians are to Americans.:)
I can spot a Canadian accent a mile away. We share a queen after all.....:p

I could have you over for tea. :D

I am also sure that in person we may have a lot in common...not everything, but quite a few things. ;)

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So then the line is not drawn by the physician? I am just trying to discuss where the line ought to be.

I have said medicinal purposes are approved.

We will need better medicine in the future. The use of hot and cold waters and foods, more simple diet etc.

Regards Tony