• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Pot Never Should Have Been Illegal In The First Place"

Should marijuana be legalized for recreational use across the nation or not?

• It should be legalized

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • It should not be legalized.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Last week, Gallup reported that a record-high 66 percent of Americans now say marijuana should be legal. The reason is simple: Marijuana never should have been illegal in the first place.
OH YEAH! Just take a look at the evildence !!

Anyway, *sigh* to continue. . .
"Through decades of reefer madness, Americans were led to believe that marijuana is far more harmful than it actually is. This is not to say it’s harmless. But it is safe to say it is less harmful than alcohol, another substance that once was illegal and is now widely accepted in our country.

Nevertheless, our federal government and many states still have laws on the books that criminalize marijuana use, and they are all too frequently enforced. U.S. law enforcement agencies made about 600,000 arrests for marijuana possession last year, according to the FBI. To make matters worse, these marijuana laws have long been disproportionately enforced against communities of color.

We learned as a nation during alcohol prohibition that simply banning a widely demanded substance does not make the substance go away. Instead, prohibition creates a criminal market to satisfy that demand, which brings with it a whole host of public health and safety problems.

As a result, several states have decided to take a new approach and start regulating marijuana similarly to alcohol. It is being produced and sold by licensed businesses that must follow rules regarding testing, packaging and labeling. Retailers must check IDs, and government officials have reported no uptick in teen use rates.

At the same time, these states have generated hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue, and law enforcement officials appear to be improving their clearance rates for other crimes.

Marijuana legalization is not a panacea, but it is progress, just as ending Prohibition was 85 years ago. States led the way in developing alternative policies that control alcohol while allowing for responsible adult use, and they should continue to do the same with marijuana."
source
So, should marijuana be legalized for recreational use across the nation or not?

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
"Last week, Gallup reported that a record-high 66 percent of Americans now say marijuana should be legal. The reason is simple: Marijuana never should have been illegal in the first place.

Through decades of reefer madness, Americans were led to believe that marijuana is far more harmful than it actually is. This is not to say it’s harmless. But it is safe to say it is less harmful than alcohol, another substance that once was illegal and is now widely accepted in our country.

Nevertheless, our federal government and many states still have laws on the books that criminalize marijuana use, and they are all too frequently enforced. U.S. law enforcement agencies made about 600,000 arrests for marijuana possession last year, according to the FBI. To make matters worse, these marijuana laws have long been disproportionately enforced against communities of color.

We learned as a nation during alcohol prohibition that simply banning a widely demanded substance does not make the substance go away. Instead, prohibition creates a criminal market to satisfy that demand, which brings with it a whole host of public health and safety problems.

As a result, several states have decided to take a new approach and start regulating marijuana similarly to alcohol. It is being produced and sold by licensed businesses that must follow rules regarding testing, packaging and labeling. Retailers must check IDs, and government officials have reported no uptick in teen use rates.

At the same time, these states have generated hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue, and law enforcement officials appear to be improving their clearance rates for other crimes.

Marijuana legalization is not a panacea, but it is progress, just as ending Prohibition was 85 years ago. States led the way in developing alternative policies that control alcohol while allowing for responsible adult use, and they should continue to do the same with marijuana."
source
So, should marijuana be legalized for recreational use across the nation or not?

Wow! Something we finally agree on. :D Though I'm not for the irresponsible use of Cannabis recreationally.....it is still way less harmful than tobacco or alcohol, both of which are legal.......but medicinally, it should be available to all without restriction. It is the best medicine for a great number of health issues.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Although I don't get out much into areas of the city or groups of people who smoke it, I must say I have noticed absolutely no impact personally here in the legal marijuana country of Canada.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Colorado's experience with legal weed has been there are a few more downsides to it than were expected, but that legalizing it has been a net boon. The taxes are a great source of revenue for the schools, for instance.

There is a slight rise in use-related traffic accidents, and some Colorado weed now has what are perhaps dangerously high levels of THC -- emergency rooms are seeing their first ever overdose cases. But such things are few and far between, as I understand it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
OH YEAH! Just take a look at the evidence !!

"Through decades of reefer madness, Americans were led to believe that marijuana is far more harmful than it actually is. This is not to say it’s harmless. But it is safe to say it is less harmful than alcohol, another substance that once was illegal and is now widely accepted in our country.

source

Why not. Let's add people high on recreational drugs to the list and let em' loose on society.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have mixed views on this particular subject. One of my concerns has always been around public use. I can drink a beer in a public house and not bother anyone around me, but lighting up can have an impact on others. The only time I believe I have been high was at a concert due to second hand smoke. This of course, could be managed by regulation, so it may not be the issue I envision. I have known a number of individuals that I have a significant respect for that have turned out to be regular users of marijuana with no obvious impact on their sober abilities. Included with that personal experience is a knowledge of the medical benefits of marijuana--these days, I generally lean towards a decriminalization and rational regulation of it.

Baladas

An Págánach
I'm very glad that the hysterical scare campaigns have eased up, and people are starting to educate themselves.
I was reluctant to even try it because I was led to believe that it was dangerous, but I did so out of desperation to get my pain (I have intense, chronic, all-over joint pain because of a genetic disorder) and anxiety under control without opiates and other drugs which have a great deal of potential for harm.

The key (as it is with alcohol) is responsible and respectful use.

I use cannabis every day to help manage my pain levels and it is definitely a safe substance.

One of my concerns has always been around public use. I can drink a beer in a public house and not bother anyone around me, but lighting up can have an impact on others.

That's a good point. However, there are other ways to ingest cannabis. I take it in edible form almost exclusively.
Almost no one even knows that I'm using it at all.

Twilight Hue

Although I don't get out much into areas of the city or groups of people who smoke it, I must say I have noticed absolutely no impact personally here in the legal marijuana country of Canada.
And from what I hear it gives the Mob an air of respectability. A sense of LaCroix.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
My thought is it criminalizes too many people. Even if they aren't caught, they still are vulnerable to arrest which makes them vulnerable to blackmail. It creates anti law culture. Criminalizing every darn thing does this. People always think they can make things go away by criminalizing them, and its always wrong. You should only criminalize violent crimes, theft, etc. You should not criminalize things that don't absolutely have to be.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
OH YEAH! Just take a look at the evildence !!

source

Absolutely, I wish the UK would legalise it.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
This is not to say it’s harmless.

Agreed.

But it is safe to say it is less harmful than alcohol

• In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.”
Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

So....how “less harmful” is it? Where only 5,000 people will die in crashes?

Then, we’ll have 15,497 die from accidents per year. All of which are preventable.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
It's a waste of money trying to enforce it. as with any other illicit drug out there, it creates a black market demand and puts some pretty nasty people into a position of power.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I've seen the effect on users. May the smart survive.

I believe that there is a huge difference between those who use cannabis recreationally and those who abuse it, just like alcohol. All drugs can be abused....even prescription drugs that kill more people each year than all illicit drugs put together.

But for those who need it medicinally, it does not involve smoking it. Medicinal cannabis comes in a variety of applications and it helps with so many conditions. There are edibles, oils, and vaping. Chronic pain and many neurological conditions can be treated with MC, without harmful side effects.

It has been used for thousands of years as a medicine. It was banned for very sinister reasons.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

I believe that there is a huge difference between those who use cannabis recreationally and those who abuse it, just like alcohol. All drugs can becabused....even prescription drugs that kill more people each year than all illicit drugs put together.

But for those who need it medicinally, it does not involve smoking it. Medicinal cannabis comes in a variety of applications and it helps with so many conditions. There are edibles, oils, and vaping. Chronic pain and many neurological conditions can be treated with MC, without harmful side effects.

It has been used for thousands of years as a medicine. It was banned for very sinister reasons.
I'm all for the use of cannabis as a medicine. It can already be made in pill form where the THC is taken out. You won't get high from it or anything but you will get all the benefits medicinally that would help people out with their respective health issue.