• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post your pic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackout

Violet.
I'm curious what you were going to say ;P

meow-mix-albums-tattoos-picture2538-rawr.jpg

meow-mix-albums-tattoos-picture2535-bride-frankenstein.jpg

meow-mix-albums-tattoos-picture2536-old-pic-no-sleeves-but-backpiece.jpg

meow-mix-albums-tattoos-picture2537-colors-geisha-riding-dragon.jpg

meow-mix-albums-tattoos-picture2532-yup.jpg

meow-mix-albums-tattoos-picture2534-3-geisha.jpg

Wow, wow, WOW!

That's amazing.
what is the timeline of your composite artwork?
How often do you add work?

We may literally be able to call you
the "million dollar woman". :yes:

DarkSun

:eltiT
The community centre where my martial arts club meets is closed for maintenance for the month, so I get to practice at home. Since my sensei isn't around to give me pointers, I decided to film myself practicing to see what I'm doing right and wrong.

Once it was filmed, I figured I might as well post to YouTube for all of you to see:

[youtube]H8EDqsqwp6Q[/youtube]
YouTube - Eishin Ryu

It's the "middle level" kata from Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. You can read about what I'm doing here: http://www.doshikai.org/bushido/articles/Kata_of_Eishin_Ryu.pdf

A bit rough, and I can't make my overhead cuts as big as I'd like with the low ceiling in my basement, but hey - maybe some of you will like it.

Not bad. I might have some photos taken of myself on Friday. I'll be doing some training for the Taekwondo Nationals. The ones I'm not going to lol. I'm not exactly ready. :p

Kodanshi

StygnosticA
I should post my own pics of my Martial Arts moves. I call it Neo’s Drunken Bulletdodge, which would look good with the Agent featured previously. I call it ‘dodge’ but it only looks good in The Matrix because of the bullet time camerawork. Basically it involves flailing around a bit before falling on my arse! :D

Just_me_Mike

The community centre where my martial arts club meets is closed for maintenance for the month, so I get to practice at home. Since my sensei isn't around to give me pointers, I decided to film myself practicing to see what I'm doing right and wrong.

Once it was filmed, I figured I might as well post to YouTube for all of you to see:

YouTube - Eishin Ryu

It's the "middle level" kata from Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. You can read about what I'm doing here: http://www.doshikai.org/bushido/articles/Kata_of_Eishin_Ryu.pdf

A bit rough, and I can't make my overhead cuts as big as I'd like with the low ceiling in my basement, but hey - maybe some of you will like it.
Would like to see you in more movement. Your self control and center of balance seem good, but how are they in more swift action? Example, kicking while wielding the sword or punching, or maybe some footwork that might emulate more combat scenario.

Thanks for sharing, and if you ever want critique, I am quite good at it. Martial arts of very much a part of my life...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Would like to see you in more movement. Your self control and center of balance seem good, but how are they in more swift action? Example, kicking while wielding the sword or punching, or maybe some footwork that might emulate more combat scenario.
Thanks. Yeah... iaido doesn't really get into kicking or punching. It's all about quickly drawing your sword and reacting to a surprise attack. It also generally assumes that your opponent is armed with a sword as well, so using your hands or feet to strike or block would often be a bad idea.

However, even though we don't get into those sorts of movements, the kata are still effective fighting techniques... if you do them at full combat speed and not the "demonstration" speed they're usually done at.

Also, the particular set in the video are done with very close combat in mind. The assumption is that your opponent is very close and that there's not much room around you to maneuver. In the other sets of kata, there's more moving around - there are a few kata in the other groups that even end up traversing almost the width of a gym. It's just this set is designed for use in a rather cramped space, which was part of its reason in the first place - you'd have had an advantage over any samurai who needed lots of space to fight effectively. It also means that I'm able to do this set in my basement... hence the video. :D

In a traditional school, iaido would have been taught as just one part of a comprehensive program that covered all sorts of combat situations, techniques and weapons, and those aspects of the school would cover combat scenarios that were different from what iaido assumes. Nowadays, it's considered a martial art of its own, so those other aspects of the traditional schools aren't studied by most iaidoka.

Thanks for sharing, and if you ever want critique, I am quite good at it. Martial arts of very much a part of my life...
Cool. What martial arts do you study?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

YouTube - Eishin Ryu

I liked it. Thanks for sharing it! :yes:

I'm chomping at the bit to give a dancer/movement analyst/movement coach observation, but it's not my place. I'll let your sensei handle it since it's obvious that's the critique you're looking for. Your sensei knows what to look for anyway. I might be able to get you to perform your movements with a double pirouette into a glissade-jete combination, but I doubt you'd get positive marks. ;)

A

angellous_evangellous

That brings back a lot of memories. Thanks, man.

It's beautiful. I don't know if you're looking for criticism, but it seems to me that you're getting in a bit of a hurry when you're pulling your sword out of its scab-board which causes you to over-compensate in the rest of your motion - the slash / attack doesn't seem fluid.

It seems to me like you've been working too much on speed - that's ok - but if you address the scab-board issue, you will be faster with less effort.

I could be wrong - it's been more than ten years since I judged this kind of thing.

It could be that you're jerking the sword out of the scab-board and it's not still as it comes out ? That's my theory.

Just_me_Mike

Thanks. Yeah... iaido doesn't really get into kicking or punching. It's all about quickly drawing your sword and reacting to a surprise attack. It also generally assumes that your opponent is armed with a sword as well, so using your hands or feet to strike or block would often be a bad idea.

However, even though we don't get into those sorts of movements, the kata are still effective fighting techniques... if you do them at full combat speed and not the "demonstration" speed they're usually done at.

Also, the particular set in the video are done with very close combat in mind. The assumption is that your opponent is very close and that there's not much room around you to maneuver. In the other sets of kata, there's more moving around - there are a few kata in the other groups that even end up traversing almost the width of a gym. It's just this set is designed for use in a rather cramped space, which was part of its reason in the first place - you'd have had an advantage over any samurai who needed lots of space to fight effectively. It also means that I'm able to do this set in my basement... hence the video. :D

In a traditional school, iaido would have been taught as just one part of a comprehensive program that covered all sorts of combat situations, techniques and weapons, and those aspects of the school would cover combat scenarios that were different from what iaido assumes. Nowadays, it's considered a martial art of its own, so those other aspects of the traditional schools aren't studied by most iaidoka.

Cool. What martial arts do you study?
I understand... Thanks for the explanation.

One thing I have learned over the years is that learning crisp movements (for tight quarters) from many systems, actually can serve to sharpen your core discipline, if that makes sense.

For example, Wing Chun, is all about close quarter combat, as well as Kali (from the Philippines) the movements are quick and efficient. Have you ever studied other close quarter movements to see if they aid in your current discipline?

I have studied Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Thai boxing, Kali, Boxing and wrestling. Been doing it since I was 13 or around that age.
I spend more time focusing on the kenesiology of movement these days, understanding the hindrances from the signal origination of the brain and the action we present with our bodies. How much time is lost and why?

How long have you been studying?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I liked it. Thanks for sharing it! :yes:

I'm chomping at the bit to give a dancer/movement analyst/movement coach observation, but it's not my place. I'll let your sensei handle it since it's obvious that's the critique you're looking for. Your sensei knows what to look for anyway. I might be able to get you to perform your movements with a double pirouette into a glissade-jete combination, but I doubt you'd get positive marks. ;)
I wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say. I have a feeling that what's considered "proper" technique in iaido may not line up with proper technique in the real world, but it'd be interesting to find out what you think of it.

It's beautiful. I don't know if you're looking for criticism, but it seems to me that you're getting in a bit of a hurry when you're pulling your sword out of its scab-board which causes you to over-compensate in the rest of your motion - the slash / attack doesn't seem fluid.
I am trying to draw the sword quickly. It's called nukitsuki, and it's part of iaido technique. I tend to have trouble with the left hand movement of pulling the scabbard to clear the blade (called saya-biki), so I know that this first cut usually isn't as strong as it should be.

Also, this is supposed to be even quicker in Eishin Ryu than other disciplines. Their general approach is to wait until the opponent commits to his move and then respond before he can strike, so there's an emphasis on speed in that first cut... but it takes years and years to make it look natural.

It seems to me like you've been working too much on speed - that's ok - but if you address the scab-board issue, you will be faster with less effort.

I could be wrong - it's been more than ten years since I judged this kind of thing.

It could be that you're jerking the sword out of the scab-board and it's not still as it comes out ? That's my theory.
The idea is that the blade starts moving sideways almost at the same time as the left hand pulls the scabbard back to clear the last few inches of the blade.

Sometimes I scrape the scabbard a bit as I draw the blade, and it drives my sensei nuts. :D It's one of the big things that I'm trying to work on.

A

angellous_evangellous

I wouldn't mind hearing what you have to say. I have a feeling that what's considered "proper" technique in iaido may not line up with proper technique in the real world, but it'd be interesting to find out what you think of it.

Oh, I thought it was beautiful. I worked forever on getting the sword out smoothly - I don't know if this is cheating or not, but I was taught to push the sword out with the thumb of my left hand (a few of us got cut doing this :D) just before we pulled it out, so we got a head start. That could be blasphemy, or it could just be what they taught beginners in my school.

I am trying to draw the sword quickly. It's called nukitsuki, and it's part of iaido technique. I tend to have trouble with the left hand movement of pulling the scabbard to clear the blade (called saya-biki), so I know that this first cut usually isn't as strong as it should be.The idea is that the blade starts moving sideways almost at the same time as the left hand pulls the scabbard back to clear the last few inches of the blade.

Sometimes I scrape the scabbard a bit as I draw the blade, and it drives my sensei nuts. :D It's one of the big things that I'm trying to work on.

Yeah, we were also taught strikes that occur before the blade actually left the scab-board, but the action was always smooth. The idea, I think, was that the smoothness of action gave a cleaner and deadlier slash and at the same time allowed for a transition into using the scab-board as a weapon or aikido if the sword somehow was broken or lost.

DarkSun

:eltiT

You'll find that's the case with most martial arts. When you go to apply techniques to a real-life situation, a lot of 'traditional' movements have to be adapted to suit the situation. WTF Taekwondo has two sides to it for that reason.

Last edited:

Master Vigil

YouTube - Eishin Ryu

Looks good!

Being that I am not a master in MJER, I will not give any criticism. Sensei knows best! :D And I wouldn't worry about the techniques being "for real life". They ARE, just for real life in 18th-19th century Japan when everyone wore nihonto. :D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
From my 20 year reunion:

60637_155480457814754_100000584023335_379888_3509647_n.jpg

and here where you can plainly see how super tiny I am:

60456_155480221148111_100000584023335_379862_4752463_n.jpg

Oh and......not one of my more refined moments when I was hammered:
61307_1619685374973_1321583058_1672702_1870836_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.