• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope says anti-maskers stuck in ‘their own little world of interests’

74x12

And the above is supposedly acting "Christian"?

Maybe go back and read what Jesus said on the Sermon On the Mount and the Parable of the Sheep & Goats.
Jesus called Herod a fox. Jesus and John the Baptist called the scribes and Pharisees a generation of vipers. Satan uses the religious organizations of this world. His servants are transformed into messengers of light. Remember in the time of Christ it was the high priest that had Jesus killed.

Francis is the first openly Jesuit pope.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When you make bigoted blanket statements like that, and ask hateful questions like that, maybe you should think more, and take time to be a loving neighbor, rather than a venom spitter like the others I see here.
I'm afraid you are reading things into what I said and why I said it, especially since it wasn't addressed to you in the first place.

IOW, maybe consider minding your business when it doesn't pertain to you.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus called Herod a fox. Jesus and John the Baptist called the scribes and Pharisees a generation of vipers. Satan uses the religious organizations of this world. His servants are transformed into messengers of light. Remember in the time of Christ it was the high priest that had Jesus killed.
When they did that which is evil, yes. In your case you made a blanket judgmental statement without even specifying what the problem supposedly is/was. Jesus did, but you didn't.

Francis is the first openly Jesuit pope.
Yes. So?

I believe that Pope Francis is like a breath of fresh air, especially as compared to the previous pope. He obviously cares about the downtrodden, but also is quite tolerant with those who may disagree with him. He also cares about issues that can harm innocent people, such as climate change, income disparity, poverty, lack of compassion, racism, war, etc.

However, he is still very much a person who, by his own admittance, has flaws.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Their hatred for the Orange Man does explain it. It has driven them crazy. Trump's main selling point was the economy so they did whatever they could to destroy it.

Let me guess: you measure the health of the economy by the value of the stock market? Trump did more to put my great grandkids in debt than any other president. I prefer to measure economic success by the quality of life for the majority of working people.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm afraid you are reading things into what I said and why I said it, especially since it wasn't addressed to you in the first place.

IOW, maybe consider minding your business when it doesn't pertain to you.

Nope. I'm going to be just like you and read into things.

Also, I wasn't talking to you earlier when you chimed in with your ignorant questions.

...What's good for me is good for you too.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Besides, everyone is acting like I'm an anti-masker because I don't go so far as to call others out. Nothings good enough for you people outside of total submission to your morals.

...Your confrontational nature disgusts me. Jesus was never that way. Nobody I respect was ever that way.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Let me guess: you measure the health of the economy by the value of the stock market? Trump did more to put my great grandkids in debt than any other president. I prefer to measure economic success by the quality of life for the majority of working people.
How did he put them in debt?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Even' atheists?

Going by stats on who goes to jail, those atheists would have to backside a while to get down where the Christians are.
Yes. Christians love to mock and ridicule atheists and declare them immoral and it being impossible to be a moral person without god. It often comes in the form of believing athiests can't morally object to rape and murder. It gets bad enough that many of them still use athiest as a derogatory term and accusation of its own.
"I take responsibility"

And

"I was set up"

Are opposites
Yes, but when the stylist even said she was told things were good, it's not really the best example to use.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What's a wanker?
Originally a British term that is on the harsh side there but more mild and casual here.
But, overall, it is an insult I did use to describe who cry about rights amd spread disease, violating a solid principle of "your rights end where your neighbors nose begins."

Audie

Veteran Member
Originally a British term that is on the harsh side there but more mild and casual here.
But, overall, it is an insult I did use to describe who cry about rights amd spread disease, violating a solid principle of "your rights end where your neighbors nose begins."

In China it seems like personal space is somewhere on your side of your skin.

I got used to American roominess.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I don't like taking sides (though it's hard). The fact is if one doesn't have it they can't spread it.

I understand the "buts..." and clauses. That doesn't invalidate the main point.
I think it does invalidate any view point put forward which involves the idea that not wearing a mask is an alright decision and should be up to the individual to decide whether or not wearing a mask is important. Wearing masks has not a thing to do with personal freedoms, it has to do with caring about our fellow humans and following what the science has well proven concerning the efficacy of wearing masks for the reduction of spread of this virus.

Many, many people are dying. Many more will die. This is not a joke or fodder for a lively debate by those who have not been personally affected by this world wide, deadly pandemic.

I've enjoyed our exchange but I'm done. Please wear a mask and please don't support or apologize for those who refuse to take this seriously.

Edit..and Be Well! This will pass and those of us left will remember how fortunate we are to have survived and good things will come of it.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think it does invalidate any view point put forward which involves the idea that not wearing a mask is an alright decision and should be up to the individual to decide whether or not wearing a mask is important. Wearing masks has not a thing to do with personal freedoms, it has to do with caring about our fellow humans and following what the science has well proven concerning the efficacy of wearing masks for the reduction of spread of this virus.

If it's not personal freedoms, are you wearing a mask because other people are doing it for humanity or is it your personal values that you're doing it in car for others?

I feel it's an alright decision based on certain circumstances. So, for example, I find it completely ridiculous to wear a mask in the car by yourself.

I don't find it ridiculous to wear a mask while in a crowded elevator, for example.

To me, it's not the mask in and of itself. It only does but so much. It's the circumstance in which one chooses to wear the mask and the precautions he or she takes "in addition to" wearing it. I wouldn't have the same attitude with people who don't wear masks if they were only twenty people in a community and everyone "knows each other's name" (no travel, no means of risk of catching it) than I would with someone in, say, New York where the population is much heavier and masks are justifiable because of that situation.

What I see pro-mask wearers attitude is on, not based on the circumstance, but the mask itself. So, if someone isn't wearing a mask and we don't know the circumstances behind it, pro-maskers brand them in the same boat as protesters who choose not to wear it for political reasons. Too much accusations.

I feel sanitation and social distancing the first lines of defense against COVID.

I rather someone not be near me than say I'm fine just because he's wearing a mask.

Many, many people are dying. Many more will die. This is not a joke or fodder for a lively debate by those who have not been personally affected by this world wide, deadly pandemic.

Edit: These (what I'm saying, not your comment) are just opinions. Opinions doesn't always determine what people do outside RF. Pro-maskers may hate me on RF but the point isn't to attack my opinions. Instead, they should attack whether I'm actually wearing a mask or not.

Actions speak louder than words?

Opinions don't kill and put people at risk. Not wearing a mask puts people at risk.

There are other viruses deadlier than COVID-so "personally" I need to put things in perspective. That, and I've never been someone to single out something most important whether it be a "higher power" or whatever. It's nothing personal.

I've enjoyed our exchange but I'm done. Please wear a mask and please don't support or apologize for those who refuse to take this seriously.

Opinions are just that. They don't kill. They don't people at risk.

Who said I didn't wear a mask just because I'm skeptical of the politics and attitude behind it?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Edit..and Be Well! This will pass and those of us left will remember how fortunate we are to have survived and good things will come of it.

I work from top to bottom, so anything you say at the bottom I won't get. So, ending the convo is fine, I just think you guys misread me A LOT.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Why? I'd really like to know. Even though I'm an atheist, I have found this man to speak to my values as a humanist.

Well, that's just it... The pope seems to enjoy catering to humanist or otherwise liberal ideological values, where as I am not an ideologue.

I guess my sentimental values reflect more of a case by case basis, where as the pope sees everything in black and white, ie: "anti-maskers are stuck in their own little world", etc., as if he knows the minds of all "anti-maskers" as if "anti-maskers" are even a group to begin with -- more likely, it's just a propoganda tag, that isn't even a 'thing' in sane everyday individuals.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a good point. If masks, social distancing, shut downs, etc. Were all part of some goofy, nonsensical conspiracy against Trump, why would so many other nations in the world partake in these practices? What would they have to gain? And why would anyone take such risk or make such sacrifice just to "hurt Trump", especially when he was already doing a stellar job of hurting himself?

It's possible, I suppose, to argue that the cost isn't worth the effort (in locking down).
But there appears no doubt that locking down drastically reduces community transmission. Victoria (where I live) has now reached 33 days in a row with 0 cases (state population of about 6.5 million). We peaked at about 600 new cases per day (from memory) somewhere around mid to late-July.
Very strict lockdown rules were put in place, and after a couple of week these numbers began to clearly reduce.

These rules included not being able to leave the home except under very particular circumstances, and not being able to go more than 5 km from the home for almost any reason.
Masks were mandatory, but since we were all in lockdown (including a nightly curfew) it really didn't matter.

After over a month with 0 cases (despite testing 12k people today), we are testing water and sewerage to try and identify any instances of COVID which might be unidentified (eg. people without symptoms).

We can't really eradicate it. South Australia had a small hot spot last week, and went into a brief, but strict lockdown while contact tracing occurred. But vaccines might be on the way, and in the meantime this allows us to get somewhere close to normal living (albeit with masks), and to see our families at Xmas.

Australia has lost a total of 908 people to COVID at this stage.