• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope says anti-maskers stuck in ‘their own little world of interests’

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Pope says anti-maskers stuck in 'their own little world of interests'

Pope Francis has taken aim at protests against coronavirus restrictions, contrasting them with the “healthy indignation” seen in demonstrations against racism after the death of George Floyd.

“Some groups protested, refusing to keep their distance, marching against travel restrictions – as if measures that governments must impose for the good of their people constitute some kind of political assault on autonomy or personal freedom,” he said in a new book.

He railed against those who claim “that being forced to wear a mask is an unwarranted imposition by the state”.

“You’ll never find such people protesting the death of George Floyd, or joining a demonstration because there are shantytowns where children lack water or education, or because there are whole families who have lost their income,” he said. “On such matters they would never protest; they are incapable of moving outside of their own little world of interests.”

The book, Let Us Dream: A Path to a Better Future, is derived from conversations with his British biographer Austen Ivereigh, and is largely centred on his response to the coronavirus crisis.

“With some exceptions, governments have made great efforts to put the wellbeing of their people first, acting decisively to protect health and to save lives,” the pope said.

However, he added that some had put the economy before public health. “Those governments have mortgaged their people,” he said.

The death in police custody of Floyd a 44-year-old African American man, triggered a wave of anti-racism protests in the US and around the world.

The pope again condemned the “horrendous” death and hailed how “many people who otherwise did not know each other took to the streets to protest, united by a healthy indignation.”

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Pope Francis has taken aim at protests against coronavirus restrictions, contrasting them with the “healthy indignation” seen in demonstrations against racism after the death of George Floyd.

“Some groups protested, refusing to keep their distance, marching against travel restrictions – as if measures that governments must impose for the good of their people constitute some kind of political assault on autonomy or personal freedom,” he said in a new book.

He railed against those who claim “that being forced to wear a mask is an unwarranted imposition by the state”.

“You’ll never find such people protesting the death of George Floyd, or joining a demonstration because there are shantytowns where children lack water or education, or because there are whole families who have lost their income,” he said. “On such matters they would never protest; they are incapable of moving outside of their own little world of interests.”

The book, Let Us Dream: A Path to a Better Future, is derived from conversations with his British biographer Austen Ivereigh, and is largely centred on his response to the coronavirus crisis.

“With some exceptions, governments have made great efforts to put the wellbeing of their people first, acting decisively to protect health and to save lives,” the pope said.

However, he added that some had put the economy before public health. “Those governments have mortgaged their people,” he said.

The death in police custody of Floyd a 44-year-old African American man, triggered a wave of anti-racism protests in the US and around the world.

The pope again condemned the “horrendous” death and hailed how “many people who otherwise did not know each other took to the streets to protest, united by a healthy indignation.”

I have issue with pro-mask haters, but I do agree with him with the statue and amputating history.

Cooky

Veteran Member

I just feel like the pope speaks in total opposition to my conscience.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

On one hand protest government. On the the other hand don't.

When to choose one and not the other seems more a matter of self-interest than not. I suspect maybe sometimes we are not so introspective of our own motivations.

Cooky

Veteran Member
On this issue? Or when he talks about caring about the poor, not greedily exploiting the environment, etc.?

I was referring to this issue in particular... But there's been a lot of things he's said that just don't sit right with my conscience... And I can't discard my conscience without discarding myself... So, there lies a struggle, and many extra stumbling blocks for me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Same with pro-speed limit haters, always want to ruin people's fun for the sake of "safety" and "saving lives." The nerve of some people, am I right?

I don't compare the two. I mean, you guys can form a war with anti-maskers if you like, but the point is not to spread the virus, not to get on each other's throats for not wearing a mask "in and of itself."

Cooky

Veteran Member
Same with pro-speed limit haters, always want to ruin people's fun for the sake of "safety" and "saving lives." The nerve of some people, am I right?

I wear a mask, but I don't like to call people out on it. I see that as authoritarian.

74x12

He's a Jesuit snake.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Think of it this way. Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't harm other people in other cars. A lot of people don't wear seatbelts (even pro-maskers who use this as an example may not wear their seatbelt). Maybe there are anti-seatbelt people. What causes accidents isn't their seatbelt but how they drive and what they drink et cetera that puts others and themselves at risk because of dangerous driving. Seatbelts lower the risk of severe injury-it doesn't prevent the cause of injury. But I'd be more concentered with whether or not the driver is drunk and "don't drink and drive" than focus on why he isn't wearing a seatbelt.

But, anyway, hate doesn't solve anything. No one is the victim.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Think of it this way. Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't harm other people in other cars. A lot of people don't wear seatbelts (even pro-maskers who use this as an example may not wear their seatbelt). Maybe there are anti-seatbelt people. What causes accidents isn't their seatbelt but how they drive and what they drink et cetera that puts others and themselves at risk because of dangerous driving. Seatbelts lower the risk of severe injury-it doesn't prevent the cause of injury. But I'd be more concentered with whether or not the driver is drunk and "don't drink and drive" than focus on why he isn't wearing a seatbelt.

But, anyway, hate doesn't solve anything. No one is the victim.
I said speed limits not seat belts, and driving at excessive speeds is obviously reckless and selfish behavior that endangers other drivers.
And "hate" is bull**** hyperbole, as if to suggest that it's unreasonable to be critical of behavior that endangers others.
Think, kid. Think.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
On one hand protest government. On the the other hand don't.

When to choose one and not the other seems more a matter of self-interest than not. I suspect maybe sometimes we are not so introspective of our own motivations.
Sometimes laws and legislators are fair and reasonable. Other times they're not. We weigh them by ethics and merit.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Sometimes laws and legislators are fair and reasonable. Other times they're not. We weigh them by ethics and merit.

Sure but my values, your values, someone else's values by which we weigh these things may not be the same.

My values are what they are, for better or worse. Although they do change, I don't necessarily choose them. As such, I don't think it's fair for the Pope to assume the motivation of others based on his own values.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I wear a mask, but I don't like to call people out on it. I see that as authoritarian.
What about traffic signals, stop signs, speed limits, etc. Should I be allowed the freedom to drive recklessy at the potential expense of you or your family's safety and lives?

What some people apparently don't get is that masks do more to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus than contracting it; wearing a mask is more for other people's benefit than it is yours. Someone could unknowingly be a carrier and be breathing that **** all over the place.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Sure but my values, your values, someone else's values by which we weigh these things may not be the same.

My values are what they are, for better or worse. Although they do change, I don't necessarily choose them. As such, I don't think it's fair for the Pope to assume the motivation of others based on his own values.
You're right. Not all values are the same. Those based on logic and evidence are worth more than those that aren't.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What some people apparently don't get is that masks do more to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus than contracting it; wearing a mask is more for other people's benefit than it is yours. Someone could unknowingly be a carrier and be breathing that **** all over the place.

You're right. Not all values are the same. Those based on logic and evidence are worth more than those that aren't.

Speaking of logic and evidence... can you calmly provide evidence that masks only protect on the exhale and not the inhale?

Cooky

Veteran Member
What about traffic signals, stop signs, speed limits, etc. Should I be allowed the freedom to drive recklessy at the potential expense of you or your family's safety and lives?

Not sure why you think presenting 2 different things as the same conveys some kind of logical proof.

...They're not the same thing, you know. Just like forcing visectemies on men with more than two children isn't the same, even though it would benefit the environment, and the lives of people in the future.